Old School Hip Hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Hip Hop

Further to Hayden's post, wondering what everyone's fave old school hip hop stuff is. To qualify as old school (in my book), it has to be played by a backing band rather than use samples or drum machines.

Ones that spring to mind...
    Tanya 'Sweet Tee' Winley - Vicious Rap
    Paulette & Tanya Winley - Rhymin' & Rappin'
    Harlem World Crew - Rappers Convention
    Spyder D - Big Apple Rappin'
    Funky 4 +1 - Rappin' & Rockin' The House
    Young Generation - We Rap More Mellow
    http://www.djhistory.com

nice choices....

I will go with:
    Death Mix Throwdown - Africa Bam's crew with The Harlem Underground Band.
    WildStyle OST & Instrumentals - Various Mc's with beats by Chris Stein.
    Curtis Blow - The Breaks
    Love Rap - Spoonie Gee & The Treacherous Three
    Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby
      To qualify as old school (in my book), it has to be played by a backing band rather than use samples or drum machines.
      this is kind of cheating but i reckon Brand New Heavies 'Heavy Rhyme Experience' has some great tracks
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by theeman
        this is kind of cheating but i reckon Brand New Heavies 'Heavy Rhyme Experience' has some great tracks

Speaking of BNH, I guess you might also include their mix of The Pharcyde's Soul Flower, which is Pharcyde rapping over their instrumentation. Arse about tit, I suppose, but the intent is there.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby
          Speaking of BNH, I guess you might also include their mix of The Pharcyde's Soul Flower, which is Pharcyde rapping over their instrumentation. Arse about tit, I suppose, but the intent is there.
          That's on the same album Ed mentioned... a corking album, love the Main Source and Kool G tracks.
          Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

I'm a big fan of Bobby Demo's 'Party Rap' on Amherst, band are super tight on that

Comment

Xanadu and Sweet lady - Rapper´s Delight
              Pookey Blow - Get (and go to school)
              The Jackson Two - Oh yeah
              Naomi Peterson - Sweet Naomi rap
              Fly Guy - Fly Guy Rap

Great 12"s i would love to have ! (someone trade them to me)

I prefer OLD school hiphop and new hiphop and some new stuff, everybody is talking about the GOLDEN AGE but i think there is a boring stuff mostly. Well some of it is ok. Well....nevermind
              rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

Wish I owned..

1) Feel the Heart Beat - Treacherous Three
                2) Do it, Do it - The Disco Four

and recently I picked up an OG

Superappin' No. 2 - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, at my local market
                "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I would have to go for "new york, new york" but that's more because of sentimental reasons. It was my first record. My mom brought it home from a trip to NYC. Not a bad way to start...

But "super rappin' 2" is great too.

Dress

Comment

Kurtis Blow/Throughout the years

Heard this on a mixtape last year, and it instantly jumped to ‘must have this on record’ status.
                    A week or two I found the track….In my own collection! Didn’t realise it was a B-side to his ‘Christmas rap’ and somehow had completely overlooked the track .

Comment

Originally posted by dreskieboogie
                      I would have to go for "new york, new york" but that's more because of sentimental reasons. It was my first record. My mom brought it home from a trip to NYC. Not a bad way to start...

But "super rappin' 2" is great too.

Dress
                      Is that the one that goes "new york, new york, it's a wonderful town, can't understand why people putting it down?"... if so, who was it?
                      Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

I was talking about Flash & the Furious 5ive's "new york new york"...

It goes "new york, new york big city of dreams but everything in new york aint always what it seems".

I don't know the song you're talking about sorry,

Dress

Comment

LONG LIVE THE MUSIC OF GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE - THE WORLD'S GREATEST AND MOST INFLUENTIAL RAP GROUP EVER
                          LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

Obvoious but a true floor filler - funky4 + 1 'that's the joint', Love Bug Star-Ski + Harlem World Crew - Positive Life, Trickeration - Bounce, Rock, Skateroll and Rapture - Blondie... Mix up with some og disco for fulll effect - instant party!
                            Soundcloud

Comment

also i am very very fond of Rammellzee ft. K-Rob - beat bop 12" , someone give me a OG
                              rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

Working...
                              X