PayPal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal...

is it just me or are PayPal thieving corporate scum?

I've just had my PayPal account access "limited", ie I can give them money but not withdraw any or make any payments to other users. Unless i go through the so-called 'verification' process of providing various legal documents and registering a bank card with them - none of which i particularly want to do.

all i've done to date is build up funds through eBay sales and then spend it back on eBay again. if i'd had complaints from buyers, i could understand it, but this is completely out of nowhere.

anyone any similar experiences? is there an escape route which doesn't involve giving PayPal biometric personal data!?

paypal

you sure this is genuine - there is loads of dodgy mail knocking about - i had mine limited a while back...cheeky gits eh?

not sure what to suggest but they shouldn't need more than your bank account details should they?

kick against the pricks !
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Sounds a bit different what you're describing, but when you've had £4,500 through the account apparently money laundering laws require them to ask for account verification information: I've been through this myself, and it's not especially exhaustive in terms of what's needed. Thing is, you get a (pretty long, 180 days or so if I remember right) grace period to sort this and the account should operate as normal - you can pay/withdraw etc as normal, but not CLOSE the account. Dunno if this might be what's happened, if not you'd need to check with PP itself to find out what's going on. I can vouch from recent experience that their helplines are - after years of being hopeless - now no worse than those of BT...which isn't saying much, I know, but shouldn't be too hard to speak to someone & find out for sure.
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by vinylism
        is it just me or are PayPal thieving corporate scum?

I've just had my PayPal account access "limited", ie I can give them money but not withdraw any or make any payments to other users. Unless i go through the so-called 'verification' process of providing various legal documents and registering a bank card with them - none of which i particularly want to do.
        I generally get one email like this per week from "Paypal", the easiest way to spot it if its fake is how the email starts, if it reads :-

Dear Paypal User - FAKE !
        Dear (your email address) FAKE!
        Dear (Your Real Name) probably genuine.

Also, NEVER click a link from an email from Paypal, always visit www.paypal.co.uk.

My advice would be type www.paypal.co.uk into your broweser, log in as normal and see if it says anything about your account being limited, if not its a FAKE email.
        Vinyl Sales are outstripping CD Sales 10000 to 1

Comment

no, it's genuine, it's at the account level rather than via e-mail.

if it were as simple as registering a card i'd give in to them, annoying though that is - BUT, they're asking for passport, driving licence, ID card, bank statements and more stuff besides.. without giving any reason behind the limitation in the first place (i'm well within their stated financial limits)

Comment

that sounds odd mate,sounds like they suspect fraudulant activity of some kind or other...they shouldn't be asking you for passport,driving license etc just to verify your account.
            verification just involves you confirming your home address and giving bank/credit card details,no more than that.
            phone them up and ask to speak to someone,find out what their game is.

Comment

Working...
            X