X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays bootsale

Any luck at the bootsale’s today lads?
    Damn rubbish here.

Alarm set for 6.55, wake up look out the window and while it had clearly been raining during the night but it was most definitely not raining now! One coffee latter and about to hop on the mountain bike and what do you know... it pours down.

Even with the rain I think to myself what the hell I’m up and ready to go now.
    5 minutes latter get to the bootsale and there are 12 cars there and the bastards are still charging a quid to get in. I despise having to pay to get into the boot sale fullstop but paying £1 to enter a bootsale with only a dozen cars that’s taking the p*ss.

But I was there so I handed by quid over to the gateman and spent about 3 minutes in the pouring rain looking desperately for something to make the journey worthwhile.
    Even though there were hardly any records there I did find one that I wanted which was 5th Dimension/sunshine of you love (on 7). Love the track but have never got around to picking it up before as there’s always been something better to buy, were as today there was nothing else to buy at all..

Hope you did better than me.

Having to pay to go INTO a boot sale is pants but at least you paid double what you would have paid for something that you wouldn't have bought ordinarily for half the price of what you paid for today.

Comment

?!

Given their size, both my local sales went really well. . .found 8 interesting oldskool hardcore / drum & bass 12", most of them from the golden years of 1992-93. . . couple of classics in there - Criminal Minds "Baptised by Dub" and Dance Conspiracy - Dub War. You know the score. . .

Went to a few charities today and found the Whodini "Magic's Wand" Ep, a Marmalade 7" with an OK flip - "Messin' Around" and an exotric Czech 7" on Supraphon, side A is a version of Cannonball Adderley's "Work Song" and side B is more interesting, version of an Al Kooper tune. .. all in all, not a bad weekend.

Comment

Boot Vinyl Drought?? Back to the shops!

Originally posted by Parkz
        Any luck at the bootsale’s today lads?
        Damn rubbish here..

Ditto here (though it doesn't usually stop me reelin' 'em off )

Sun was shining but loads fewer sellers and buyers and very, very little vinyl. (Holidays abroad begun? Spring clear-outs over?)

Picked up grand total of 3LPs
        ... a Doris Troy,
        a Robert Owens (is H****e a bad word here?...I just loved his voice on the 87/ 88 stuff)
        a Mini Curry LP (poor excepting I Think I'm Over You)

Chuffed with the Mini as I remember her stuff from 'Music For A Candlelit Dinner' section on Robbie Vincent's Radio 1 Sunday night show. Fair bought a tear to my eye as I looked to the sky for the Soul Satellite or whatever it was.

And that was the lot.

But I did go to 29 (I counted) charities last week. Bore you all with that when I've listened to all 40 LP's, photo'd the best and have discoveries to share.
        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Well, nothing all that exciting, but worth the 30p entrance fee I reckon, for:

Fresh – Fresh Today (RCA) [1971 curio involving Simon Napier Bell, sort of Bluesy overall, but with some organ psych-ish things like ‘Stoned In Saigon’ and a version of Marc Bolan’s ‘Desdemona’…really haven’t a clue what this is – is it any relation to the ‘Fresh Out Of Borstal’ LP I’ve heard mentioned? - but it has its moments]

Juan Martin – Ole Don Juan! Flamenco en Andalucia (EMI) [trad and good flamenco/percussion set…]

Bob Lin Wu & Orchestra – Music for a Chinese Dinner at Home (RCA) [pretty much what you’d expect, ie: wacky oriental trappings over lounge standards that fit the theme…enjoyable, but not really essential, in an ace sleeve complete with recipes]

Stephane Grapelli – Improvisations (Felsted) [well, I have a soft spot for the man’s jaunty Hot Club jazz stylings, of which there are plenty on this 50s LP]

Edmundo Ros – Ros Mambos (Decca 7” EP) [nice four track 7” of proper 50s mambos…Ros on pretty good early form, actually]

…and a nice near-new projector screen, a book about Cabinets Of Curiosities, a set of postcards of 70s airliners, a Playbirds square flexi on which Mary Millington talks very rudely (this was hidden away inside the Fresh LP sleeve), a 10” commemorative recording of the 1953 Coronation, copies of Marlene Dietrich’s ‘Blowin In The Wind’ and Portsmouth Sinfonia’s rather bizarre ‘Classical Muddly’, and spares of Eric Winstone’s ‘Supersonic Sounds’ and ‘Big Band Sound’ LPs on Avenue.

It did refrain from raining, but was threatening to pour the whole morning, though, meaning lots of people were packing up and leaving early...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by wayne
            ...a Playbirds square flexi on which Mary Millington talks very rudely (this was hidden away inside the Fresh LP sleeve),..
            find! Definitely the right sleeve. It is very fresh. Used to love Mary in the 70's and was desperately disappointed on hearing her voice.

She sounds (or tried to sound) so posh. I really wanted her to sound like a chip-shop girl. I was about twelve at the time...

...god it's late...

I'll just get my pyjamas.
            <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

boots..

some back issues of scootering magazine,a picture of a 'dolly bird' in a tretchikoff,but not sort of style,a light up mirror that doesn't work and 6 free range eggs.

rain stopped play.

records?

none - i left a couple of bits,but i was that way out !
              Rockwell
              Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by wayne
                Fresh – Fresh Today (RCA) [1971 curio involving Simon Napier Bell, sort of Bluesy overall, but with some organ psych-ish things like ‘Stoned In Saigon’ and a version of Marc Bolan’s ‘Desdemona’…really haven’t a clue what this is – is it any relation to the ‘Fresh Out Of Borstal’ LP I’ve heard mentioned? - but it has its moments]...
                I always assumed it was related Wayne, since Napier Bell is behind both LP's.

I actually made it out of the house on Sunday morning to visit a nearby booter that was cancelled last year (a whole year's anticipation - er... ). Thought my luck was out again 'cos it started raining just before I left, but the cloud hadn't passed over the bootsale so... One record - John Schroeder's TV Vibrations. Nothing amazing but the versions of the themes to 'Troubleshooters' and 'Shaft' surpassed expectations and made it worth the 50p.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Good scores here. Got up early so made it before the rain, later that morning.

Duncan Lamont : Summer Samba : MFP
                  one week after scoring his Bossa Nova album (MFP also) I find this follow up. More classy bossa related tunes brought by some stand out Brit session musicians (Roger Webb, Ike Isaacs, Alan Branscombe...). First class !

Janot Morales Quartet : Miles Inspirations : Selection
                  Belgian project dedicated to Miles... Though all tunes are originals (library legend René Costy receives credit on almost every track) this is very close to the Miles cool 50s sound.

David Bee and his Novelty Orchestra : Novelty Tunes (Sonorama Vol. 1) : WMC Library
                  Belgian library LP with orchestral pop jazz titles... Some orchestrations remind me of Roger Morès - so this must be the Atomium sound !
                  There are a couple of nice easy tracks on side B... Relax, Novelette, My Prayer... all feature nice interplay between drums, piano, flute and organ.

I lucked unto another lot of library LP that an elderly couple was selling. They were all from different Chappell series' but mostly baroque jazz themed. This led me to think somebody picked out all the "good ones" first but I'm not sure - one was by Roger Roger and a connaisseur would never leave an LPC Roger Roger even it was dud. I got all the Chappells they had even those that didn't look too promising. At 50 cents I didn't want to leave a potential one-tracker.

Patchwork 53 : Comedy
                  Very good. Most tracks are by Vladimir Cosma and even though the theme and year (1980) didn't promise much I'm glad I took it home. Light orchestral pop pieces that have a very cinematic and summery feel to them - there's nothing cartoonish or slapstick here. A couple of tracks are credited to other composers (Delerue, Welch, Vercy,...)

Hilario Sanchez : Vibraphonie : MP 2000
                  By far the best score of the day. Only last week I held a copy of this in a secondhand record store that sold it for 40 Euro (pretty much the going price on the net, too)... At 2 Euro for a NM copy I'm pleased as punch but at 40 I'd have been disappointed. It's great, really is - vibes with other percussive instruments, mainly. Some intricate rhythms and odd harmonies make this quite interesting.

V.A. : Vocals And South Of The Border : Rediffusion
                  Different themes here : Pop and Country Ballads, Mexican (Mariachi) (by Ray Martin) and Lightly Latin by Peter Sanders' Bossa Flutes. The latter's four tracks make this a keeper.

Gerald Wilson : The Best of The Gerald Wilson Orchestra : World Pacific Jazz
                  Wilson always makes for good, swinging and soulful big band. No wonder, with cats like Groove Holmes and Bobby Hutcherson soloing... Blues for Yna Yna, The Feather, California Soul are some titles. Viva Tirado is probably the most wellknown off this collection.

Major Symphony : Odyssea : Philips
                  music by Yan Tregger. This is on the line between groovy library and disco... I had to try this - with titles as Teenage Mix, Cool Feelin' and Rape N°1...
                  Side A is borderline disco but tracks like "Traped In Fog" (sic) and Half Way Through on Side B are great moogish groovers with strings and horns in all the right places. French fonk rules !

Tons more but these stood out.
                  CORSO: What kind of advice you got for politicians?

BURROUGHS: Say the truth once and for all and shut up forever.

Comment

Picked up a number of old Decca opera boxsets from a charity on holiday in Ilfracombe last week for £2 a pop. Just looked up the first two and they're listed at £300 plus each from now on I'm keeping an eye on the classical boxes!

oh, and a battered copy thelma houston's Sunflower LP from the same shop, though the vinyl's fine. I left the Kensington.
                    Last edited by peretti; 07-06-2005, 02:13 PM.

Comment

By far the best score of the day. Only last week I held a copy of this in a secondhand record store that sold it for 40 Euro (pretty much the going price on the net, too)...
                      blimey this was in the box ready to go to the charity shop.

Comment

Originally posted by peretti
                        Picked up a number of old Decca opera boxsets from a charity on holiday in Ilfracombe last week for £2 a pop. Just looked up the first two and they're listed at £300 plus each from now on I'm keeping an eye on the classical boxes!

oh, and a battered copy thelma houston's Sunflower LP from the same shop, though the vinyl's fine. I left the Kensington.
                        nice......not just the boxes you wanna keep an eye on though........
                        holiday in Ilfracombe eh?........fantastic......used to go camping down there.....actually there used to be a 'youth arts festival' down there every summer which was a good crack too.....

Comment

Quote:

blimey this was in the box ready to go to the charity shop.
                          Hehe.
                          So - what else are you getting rid of ??
                          CORSO: What kind of advice you got for politicians?

BURROUGHS: Say the truth once and for all and shut up forever.

Comment

the duncan lamont lp you mentioned too

Comment

Working...
                            X