Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise on some old compilations i found...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on some old compilations i found...

Ahoy!

At one of my spots there's currently a couple of psychedelica compilations called (I think) Mindbenders 1 & 2... didn't have time to listen to them though, and from a glance at the tracklisting all I recognized was the Big Jim Sullivan Sound (probably a good thing?)

They're on picture disc so naturally the silly wonks have marked them up to $60, which is a fair bit more than I would normally shell out for a 1LP compilation.

Anyone know whether these are, like, TOTALLY FRESH or anything? If so I might make the long trek back up the hill tomorrow. Otherwise, I might wait a week and someone may buy them.

(And while I'm asking dumb questions - has Don Ho got any heat?)

I know the guy who does this things and Ive always meant to buy them as they sounded pretty good.

If you pick them up and don't like them then I'll deffo have them off you!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (sermad @ 24 June 2003,12:29)]I know the guy who does this things and Ive always meant to buy them as they sounded pretty good.

If you pick them up and don&#39;t like them then I&#39;ll deffo have them off you&#33;
      Hmmm...

I shall endeavour to head back later today (much later - it&#39;s 01:25 AM) and have a listen on the store turntables...

...didn&#39;t have time yesterday to wait in the queue behind sucker DJs who somehow can&#39;t determine whether they like a house tune enough to buy it within two bars of listening time.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (formigo @ 24 June 2003,14:26)]
        Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ 24 June 2003,12:29)]I know the guy who does this things and Ive always meant to buy them as they sounded pretty good.

If you pick them up and don&#39;t like them then I&#39;ll deffo have them off you&#33;
        Hmmm...

I shall endeavour to head back later today (much later - it&#39;s 01:25 AM) and have a listen on the store turntables...

...didn&#39;t have time yesterday to wait in the queue behind sucker DJs who somehow can&#39;t determine whether they like a house tune enough to buy it within two bars of listening time.
        It was Mind EXPANDERS, sorry.

Not sure of the year of release but design on the picure disc suggests 60s concepts filtered through early 90s garishness.

Anyway I bought vol 1 and left vol 2 behind for budgetary reasons and because i thought vol 1 was marginally hotter.

Sermad I could get this for you but I&#39;m not sure if it would be worth our while. i.e. for &#036;60 plus the postage I would be wanting to trade for something hot, conversely, why would you trade something hot for a comp? (albeit a pretty tight comp).

Comment

There was a &quot;Cash - In&quot; Psychploitation LP/Group called the Mind Expanders on the DOT Label, circa 1967.

Same label as Pat Boone and Ken Nordine

It&#39;s produced by a guy name o&#39; Charles Grean.

He also produced another record on DOT by Leonard Nimoy;
          I forget the name of it, hee hee hee.

&quot;Mr Spocks Music for Outer Space&quot; or something like that.
          There are 2 pretty cool instrumentals on that LP and it&#39;s just a few numbers down the catalog line from the Mind Expanders LP.

But the ME is totally nutzoid weird great &quot;Psychploitaion&quot; Exotica with fuzzed out guitars, Chinese Bell Trees, Sitars, Elec Gtr with Squawk Box, the French early synthesizer known as the Ondioline, Bongos, Harpsichord, a Trap Drum Kit, Bass, Chimes, Boo Bams and sound effects like a bus pulling away from the curb into traffic with honking horns and such and really lots of weird but fun, funny sounds. It&#39;s wild. I think Wah Wah in Spain has it on LP.

It&#39;s a short record but well worth it

Titles; Love Syndrome, Theme From, Pictures At a Psychedelic Art Exhibition, Cul De Sac, Downtown Trip, Pulsation, A Night On Bald Mountain, Sensory Overload, Euphoria,
          Mandala

Comment

Working...
          X