In our time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In our time

I know the subject of the Bert Kaempfert track that sounds a bit like Axelrod has come up a few times (I think Rich supplied the lowdown last time, it's on an album with "Put Your Hand... " on it).
    Anyway, I couldn't be bothered searching for this topic, but today I scored Bert's Greatest Hits Vol 2 which has a very moody track on it called In Our Time (A Musical Prayer For Peace) ... all sinister wordless choir, screeching guitar and deep electric bass (steady on Bert) ... the drums aren't quite up to the Axe standard, but it's a corker of a track...
    So my question is ... is this the famous Bert does Axe track?
    If so, there's a new record for you to find it on (I think this is a US issue judging by the black/rainbow Decca label) and if not, it adds to the slim volume of worthwhile Bert tracks
    (For a slightly bizzare take on sinister try Bert's scary rendering of Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline on "Moods" )
    It ain't shakey

The "Axelrodian" Kaempfert track originally mentioned was most likely "Falling Free" off "Now!" (the album with "PYHITH&quot... its a decent moody number, heavily atmospheric, sounding a bit like something off "Release of an Oath".

Good to know there's another one to look out for, thanks!

Comment

it's on the same album:

Bert Kaempfert Now! ,
      Put Your Hand In The Hand/Kiss Her Once With Feeling/Me And My Shadow/In Our Time/Red Sky At Morning/Falling Free/Dream Baby/Oh Woman, Oh Why/Gray Eyes Make Me Blue/Bell Bottoms Proud Mary/Living Easy

other Bert i like:
      Mambo Mania ('Latin Feeling&#39
      Caravan ('Love that Kaempfert&#39
      A Man Could Get Killed soundtrack
      and my housemate used to fancy the girl with the cocktail on the front of 'If I Had You'

also someone had 'Combo Capers' in their chart.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (bongolia @ 24 June 2003,22:56)]it's on the same album:

Bert Kaempfert Now!
        You mean I'm going have to listen to the entire album?!?

'Falling Free' was indeed the track we talked about before. And I love the sleeve to 'A Man Could Get Killed'.
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]other Bert i like:

Mambo Mania ( from "Latin Feeling" )
          Good call Bongolia ! Great track !

BK's albums are pretty easy to find, I'm surprised more people ain't rockin' them.

I've a double of "Latin Feeling", when I can get my stressed ass into gear and get a trades list up on the site... geez !

I hate being at work, it makes me all  
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

there must be more good Bert tracks out there, since he uses a lot of that loud plectrummed (is that a word?) bass and fuzz guitar.

Comment

There is certainly a lot of disappointing Bert.
              I don't know the issue date of "Greatest Hits Vol 2" but all of side one is in his brushed drums and upright bass 60s style. I have a few seventies albums but apart from "Moods" none of them has grabbed my attention before (I think it's one last listen then out they go).
              Earlier this year, I picked out an album (which must have been "Now&quot from some stinking crates in an Austrian flea market, and promptly put it back when the rotund ginger-tashed proprietor demanded 12 euros for it. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought it.

Anyone else got any more Bert recomendations?
              It ain't shakey

Comment

6 Plus 6 has 'Shaft' and stuff on, but i don't have that one...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (bongolia @ 24 June 2003,22:56)]other Bert i like:
                  Mambo Mania ('Latin Feeling&#39
                  "Latin Feeling" 's a 2 tracker. For me, "Bert's Bossa Nova" is the one.

Also its a long time since I've played it but "The Good Life" LP's got stuff on it. Nice cover too.
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

oh yeah, 'Bert's Bossa's' good too. i think Nicola Conte sampled it quite heavily. and 'Chicken Talk' on the same album is worth a listen if i remember...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (bongolia @ 25 June 2003,11:42)]6 Plus 6 has 'Shaft' and stuff on, but i don't have that one...
                      I don't rate the version of 'Shaft' on here (or any version although Stanley Black's is pretty nice) but there are a few nice tracks on this album. It's very 'easy' though so if you don't like that then you probably won't enjoy anything on this (except 'Song For Tony' which is very soundtrack-y and very ace).

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (bongolia @ 24 June 2003,22:56)]and my housemate used to fancy the girl with the cocktail on the front of 'If I Had You'
                        nice to know i wasn't the only one, then.

Comment

she's not bad, but i think i prefer the lovely young lady on the cover of Ray Conniff's 'Honey'. scary to think all these models will now be about 60...

Comment

If anyone has a spare copy of "Now!" please give me a shout - seems to be the only hard to find item in his entire catalogue. I tried GEMM and the only copy they have on is in Brazil!! I've been looking out for a copy ever since Ben V bigged up the track a while ago.

How come I only ever turn up the gash lps - why is it always "Trumpets a Go Go" and not "Hair"
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (bongolia @ 25 June 2003,13:24)]she's not bad, but i think i prefer the lovely young lady on the cover of Ray Conniff's 'Honey'. scary to think all these models will now be about 60...
                              I've been waiting for someone say 'Hey, you're talking about my nan there !' when these type of discussions happen
                              Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X