Cal tjader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal tjader

after previously not owning any cal tjader records i managed to come across 5 of his 60's jobbies this month without trying too hard (even scored 'soul burst' at the booter sunday, and thanks muchly for the pair you sent Sue!!&#33

the latest i have turned up so far is Hip Vibrations...

but i suspect it gets a whole lot more interesting after that one, so c'mon...fill me in!!!

which Tjader 's are the ones to covet???

"The Phrophet" top ATCQ sample. On US Verve / or Fanrasy, can't remember without checkin'
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

I'll second The Prophet LP, also Solar Heat is a scorcher

so many! I like pretty much any of his early 60's stuff produced by Creed Taylor - beautiful production and if its got a Schifrin tune on it you definately can't go wrong.
      SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

they are all rubbish, but i will glady take any off your hands!

as usual for these kind of people, Tony Wilds is the man for the info:
        http://wildsscene.com/music/patch/vibes_ct.html

the early 70s ones when he's back on Fantasy (after Verve in the 60s) sound promising (e.g. the one with Charlie Palmieri and Puente)

hadn't realised he had made so many on Fantasy... (and i love the way that about 20 albums in there's one titled 'Tjader Goes Latin' - like, what did they think he was playing before???).

Comment

Yeah, the guys are on the money there for ya Chris !

So many great albums to choose from, we'll have to settle down with a few of 'em next time you're over my place...

A couple of my personal faves are "Aqua Dulce" on Fantasy (love the trippy Moog version of "Gimmie Shelter") and the obvious "Soul Sauce" on Verve. Also, I do like "Breeze From The East" for the laidback and sampled "Layte" track (I think I've spelt that right) ... nice !

I've a few others too, what was the one Formigo charted a few months back.. I think it was self-titled... nice too !

...nice vibes maaaan...  
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Check the "Reviews" section of Soulstrut for some cover pics. Unfortunately I think Raj missed a couple of the reviews. All of his LPs that I like I've found, but haven't written reviews for all of them. But here's the ones that I have.

CAL TJADER
            Agua Dulce (Fantasy)
            Agua Dulce is another record crossed off my long time want list. The Latin title track is highlighted by the work of Coke Escovedo on the timbales, and thereÂ’s a big bass line that opens Descarga before going into another Latin number. The upbeat Gimme Shelter and Morning are the two best songs. The latter has light vocals in the beginning setting the mood for the catchy melody.

CAL TJADER
            At Grace Cathedral (Fantasy 77)
            Tjader lays down some very mellow Latin tinged jazz on his live At Grace Cathedral album recorded in San Francisco in 1976. There are some good parts to songs like I Showed Them, Black Orpheus Medley, and Theme, but none of the songs stand out in their entirety.

CAL TJADER
            Cal TjaderÂ’s Latin Concert (Fantasy 58)
            In 1958 Cal Tjader spent three weeks in San Francisco playing at the Blackhawk Club from whence this recording came from. To add to TjaderÂ’s Latin flavor he had the backing of Mongo Santamaria who heÂ’d been working with for quite some time. Each song is pretty upbeat and has a nice groove to it. ThereÂ’s the Tjader originals Viva Cepeda and Mood For Milt that was used for De LaÂ’s Watch Out from their new LP, and Ray BryantÂ’s composition Cubano Chant that sounds almost like the same song. There are also a series of percussion breaks in A Young Love.

CAL TJADER
            Hip Vibrations (Verve 67)
            This is actually one of TjaderÂ’s more upbeat records and lacks the Latin sound he was known for on his other LPs. I got it for Django which was sampled by Davina and Guru. It also has a nice cover of Windy, and Blues March and Hip Vibrations arenÂ’t bad either. Herbie Hancock and Ray Barretto appear on here as well.

CAL TJADER
            Last Bolero In Berkeley (Fantasy 73)
            Tjader was best known for his Latin influenced vibe playing. The second side is in this vein, but the A side is more soulful and even a little funky in places. DonÂ’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight is a soul-jazz song, while Charisma (SheÂ’s Got) is a nice grooving funk piece. Tjader also does a good cover of Never Can Say Goodbye. The cover of I Want You Back on the 2nd side does get down too and features a drum and conga break as well.

CAL TJADER
            Live At The Funky Quarters (Fantasy 72)
            IÂ’m always amazed when I find a new Cal Tjader record. I think IÂ’ve at least seen them all at least once and then I see something new. Live At The Funky Quarters opens with a great rendition of Leyte with its light, but funky melody. The upbeat Cubano Chant, Soul Sauce III with a nice bass, drum and conga breakdown in the middle, Philly Mambo, and Manteca are also good.

CAL TJADER
            Plugs In (Skye 69)
            This was recorded live at the famous Lighthouse Jazz club in Hermosa Beach, CA in 1969. TjaderÂ’s traditional Latin/cool jazz sound is backed by a Fender piano, and the addition of congas adds a nice touch. Alonzo starts things off with a strong beginning by Tjader on his vibraphone before going into an upbeat Latin jazz number. Next is a cover of Lady Madonna with its soulful bass line. Tjader finishes off the first side with another good cover of Spooky. Tra-La-La Song was the theme of the popular 1970s kids show Banana Splits. Morning Mist appears on several other Tjader albums and has been sample. Again, Tjader finishes strong with the Latin jazz song Get Out Of My Way. Some of these songs have already been sampled but thereÂ’s plenty of other nice parts that could be looped up by producers.

CAL TJADER
            Primo (Fantasy 73)
            Primo saw Cal Tjader work with some Latin heavyweights such as Charlie Palmieri and Tito Puente. The results were outstanding as Primo is one of TjaderÂ’s most upbeat records that you can listen to from beginning to end and get a dance floor moving with. ThereÂ’s not a bad song on here from the opening Mama Aguela to the closing El Watusi. Nine songs of pure Latin hustle. La Murga opens with a deep tuba line (yes a tuba&#33 that could be looped up.

CAL TJADER
            Puttin It Together (Fantasy 74)
            IÂ’m so mad I bought this record in NYC because I saw two copies out here for half the price! Oh well, this is a live recording of Tjader with backing from Michael Smithe on congas and Milke Wolff on electric piano, two name just two of the ensemble. The inclusion of those two gives this record a little different sound from the Latin Bossa Nova flavor that Tjader was so well known for. The Prophet opens things up. ItÂ’s a pretty straight ahead jazz tune until the middle where Wolff takes over soloing with his keys and injects a little funk into the proceedings. Unfortunately, as soon as his solo ends, so does the funkiness of the song. Likewise, Mambo Inn and Theme takes off when there is a conga, and then later drum, solo. Manuel Deeghit is by far, the best song on here though. ItÂ’s an upbeat funky Latin song.

CAL TJADER
            Soul Sauce (Verve 64)
            This record was produced by Creed Taylor and features the backing of Willie Bobo, Kenny Burrell and Donald Byrd. Despite the early recording date, I love the cover of this record with a close-up of a Tabasco bottle with Cal TjaderÂ’s name and the album title on it. The music is TjaderÂ’s usual Latin flavor but played really upbeat. You could really get a dance floor moving with some of the cuts on here like the title song, Soul Sauce, Afro Blue, Maramoor, Tanya and Leyte. Good stuff.

CAL TJADER
            Sounds Out Burt Bacharach (Skye 69)
            As the name would tell you, this album is a collection of Burt Bacharach songs performed by Cal Tjader. Moneypenny, I assumed named after the secretary from the James Bond Series, is a light upbeat lounge number with a series of drum rolls/snare hits at the beginning and middle. I Say A Little Pray For You starts off with the traditional arrangement, but then suddenly picks up and gets down a little in the middle. TjaderÂ’s version of Walk On By is also good, but best of all is YouÂ’ll Never Get To Heaven with a funky bass line at the beginning that definitely sounds like its been sampled before.

CAL TJADER
            Tjader (Fantasy 78)
            It always amazes me just how consistent Cal Tjader was. Tjader was released in 1978 and itÂ’s still got some heat. The first side opens with one of his jams entitled I Showed Them and ends with What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life, which starts off very slowly with Tjader playing alone, before the band adds a very nice rhythm track behind him. Fresh Air starts off the second side with a cool sounding percussion break by Michael Smithe, John Rae and Coke and Pete Escovedo that gets replayed a couple more times throughout the most Latin sounding song. A cover of Evil Ways with a handclap breakdown and Mambero are also good listens.

CAL TJADER
            Tjader-Ade (Buddah 70)
            This is a compilation of three of TjaderÂ’s records, Solar Heat, Cal Tjader Sounds Out Burt Bacharach and Cal Tjader Plugs In. I only have Solar Heat, and my copy of Plugs In has scratches and skips on it, so I was happy to pick up this LP. These recordings are noteworthy because they feature a much more upbeat and contemporary sound to TjaderÂ’s typical Latin movements. Solar Heat is the first track and has a very short but sweet open drum beginning for only about 2 beats before the rest of the band comes in. ItÂ’s followed by Never My Love, which was looped for Grand PubaÂ’s I Like It. Finishing off the first side is Lady Madonna from the Plugs In LP. It starts off with a nice bass and drum intro before going into the BeatlesÂ’ classic. TjaderÂ’s cover of Ode To Billy Joe is also good and sticks much more closely to the original vocal version than other renditions IÂ’ve heard by other Jazz players, and the last tune, Alonzo is another fine composition. This is a really nice pick-up and a good view into some of TjaderÂ’s later recordings.
            http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Motown67 @ 26 June 2003,05:28)]CAL TJADER
              Tjader (Fantasy 78)
              It always amazes me just how consistent Cal Tjader was. Tjader was released in 1978 and it’s still got some heat. The first side opens with one of his jams entitled I Showed Them and ends with What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life, which starts off very slowly with Tjader playing alone, before the band adds a very nice rhythm track behind him. Fresh Air starts off the second side with a cool sounding percussion break by Michael Smithe, John Rae and Coke and Pete Escovedo that gets replayed a couple more times throughout the most Latin sounding song. A cover of Evil Ways with a handclap breakdown and Mambero are also good listens.
              I have a copy of this on Liberty dated at '73, so I guess the Fantasy one is a later re-issue.

Sure as hell sounds a lot more '73 than '78, and now you know why

Keep an eye out for "Several Pieces of Jade" too (on Verve).

I rate Cal Tjader. But here's the real question - does anyone know how to pronounce Tjader?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (formigo @ 26 June 2003,06:29)]I rate Cal Tjader. But here's the real question - does anyone know how to pronounce Tjader?
                Don't quote me on this but I believe the "T" is silent so it's pronounced "Cal [Jay]der".
                http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

I've always assumed the "j" was like a "Y".

As in pronounced Tyay - der.

It's.............da-da-da-da....da-da-da-da

as in pronounced ....Skwirl

PS Tjader's Mamblues track is a classic. You got the mid sixties version with I think, Mongo and Willie Bobo on percussion or the 70s remake for Fritz The cat - with Purdie laying down the sickest groove...!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (formigo @ 26 June 2003,06:29)]But here's the real question - does anyone know how to pronounce Tjader?
                    I was told by someone who met him, it is;

Chay - der

Now these are killa . Game on!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Belson @ 26 June 2003,09:06)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (formigo @ 26 June 2003,06:29)]But here's the real question - does anyone know how to pronounce Tjader?

Chay - der
                      Thats the one. I always wanted to know this and eventually saw some jazz docu years ago that involved some chayder info - with a lot of old cats talking about him
                      SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Btw, the Salmon's generic 2-month flyer/poster thing features a bunch of logos at the bottom, including the same logo as this the brillo bit anyways!

As for Cal - gotta be Solar Heat for me...
                        http://wakeupanddie.com
                        http://weirdgearnyc.com
                        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Belson @ 26 June 2003,09:06)]
                          Originally posted by [b

Chay - der

Now these are killa       . Game on!!
                          Excellent!

This brings much relief to my battered mind.

By the way, I might be wrong about that release date, I glanced at my copy last night and couldn't find any date on it, so I'm not sure why I think it's from 1973.

Maybe because I like 1973 so much. And I like that album.

Quod et demonstratum.

Comment

Working...
                          X