Mo' funky herr last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo' funky herr last!

Not sure if this has been covered before but I pick up this today mainly due to the cover of "He's Gonna Step On You" and "PYHITH" but theres actually a nice wee funky bit at the start of the LP called...erm..."Intro" and a good section which has "Hey Willy / Tap Turns On The Water (a CCS cover) / Ten Bananas" - the last track being a bit of moogy wibbling from Mr Last's own fair hand. Well worth a few pee!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

BOOOOOOM is the sound of a blow-up being blown up.

Aw bro. Ten Bananas was my

Comment

Oh my golly gosh - just found this LP today to find James Last's version of Hey Willy (aka The Frog/Psychomania riff) and saw that Lee was talking about it years ago.

Okay, its only a minute or so but its a minute or so longer than I thought it ever could be. There's something about this that distills a lot of what I love about VV/VG+.
      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Ooh I can't get enough of his beard so I picked up Best Of Non Stop Dancing 65-70 which includes Hair-medley, Bubblegum-medley (simon-mony-yummy), In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on my way to my mother yesterday... can't wait to get home to spin this masterpiece.

On a more serious note, I've been meaning to ask this for a while: What is "Soul March" on?
        http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
        http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
        http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

Can anyone recommend any James Last lp's as the few i picked up years ago were all bobbins ,so have left them alone,are they only anygood for sampling or are there any tunes worth listening to, excuse my ignorance on Mr Last

Comment

Originally posted by geoff whitfield View Post
            Can anyone recommend any James Last lp's as the few i picked up years ago were all bobbins ,so have left them alone,are they only anygood for sampling or are there any tunes worth listening to, excuse my ignorance on Mr Last
            I think the lp mentioned in this thread is nonstop dancing 12

well kept secret, voodoo party, live and hair all have some good stuff on. the old VV site had a good rundown in the lords of lounge area.
            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by geoff whitfield View Post
              i always thought this article on the man was ok-ish..

http://waxpoetics.com/content/?article=james_last

there are plenty of other recommendations buried in this forum for worthwhile last lps - just do a search

Comment

The LP in question (with Hey Willy) is also called Non Stop Dancing 1972.

I'd also recommend Guitar A GoGo.
                YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                  I think the lp mentioned in this thread is nonstop dancing 12.
                  It's 13.

Geoff - Darren's article is a good place to start . The only warning I'd give is - obviously - the Non-Stop Dancing series has medleys rather than separate so the good stuff (including Hey Willy) is in short bursts. As you can guess, its the fact he actually covers some genuinely interesting stuff in amongst the much more naff things that really amuses me - he does it the requisite parpy style with fake crowd noises/sing-a-long and everything. For that, also check his version of Silver Machine (!) on number 14.

The four LPs eclectiktronik mention are the, erm, classics in his repertoire. I don't actually really like Well Kept Secret, it lacks the sheer cheesy daftness of his other stuff. That's what people seem to like about it but it kind of misses the point for me - its probably his most solidly "good" LP but is much more straight-faced funk/soul.
                  Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by vinylism View Post
                    i always thought this article on the man was ok-ish..

http://waxpoetics.com/content/?article=james_last
                    that bloke doesn't know what he's on about. ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post
                      On a more serious note, I've been meaning to ask this for a while: What is "Soul March" on?
                      It was the b-side to a 7", can't remember offhand which one - to my knowledge it's not on an LP, though I'd like to be proven wrong as it's one of his finest works!

If you're prepared to go down the reissue/CD route, the 'Lounge Legends - James Last' CD is probably the best Last compilation out there, plus it has details of all the original LPs the tracks came from as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                        It was the b-side to a 7", can't remember offhand which one - to my knowledge it's not on an LP, though I'd like to be proven wrong as it's one of his finest works!

If you're prepared to go down the reissue/CD route, the 'Lounge Legends - James Last' CD is probably the best Last compilation out there, plus it has details of all the original LPs the tracks came from as well.
                        The Lounge Legends disc is indeed superb but like all the entries in the series, makes it somewhat difficult for the reader to work out what LPs the tracks come from.

The copyright date for all the tracks follows the listing.
                        You get a photos of all the source LPs but not the year each one was released.
                        YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post

Comment

Working...
                          X