Herbie hancock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbie hancock

"Herbie Hancock Sun 29th Jun 22:45  ITV 1 ( UK )
    As both a pianist and a composer, HERBIE HANCOCK is a jazz legend. For the past 40 years he's been one of the biggest innovators in contemporary music."

From http://www.southbankshow.com/

Anyone want a hugely quiffed Melvin Bragg smilie?

Can't see what general use he'd be tho' really ( pretentious? ) .
    Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Nice recommendation Mr Hopkinson

A solid hour of documentary business on Herbie with some nice live action and talky bits from Quincy Jones, Santanna and Gilles Peterson who is now sporting a great little jazz moustache!

Best bit for me was the Mwandishi band section seeing Herb sitting at a moog keyboard with his supersize afro was wonderful. Must try and track some more herbie lp's down.

Comment

Bastard!!!    

I missed the beginning, switching on to see the man at the helm of an all-mighty Moog, then he said "It's amazing" [or something.....] I was MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!
      If anybody has this on video, a copy would be very, very much appreciated. I can return the favour with a neat little mix of electronic nicenuss?
      the spectral lightshow accompanying the Mwandishi sequence was wonderful, analogue heaven baby!
      I was raised by wolves

Comment

Sorry, no tape from me   , but I was just about to say that amazing moog footage moment was a top highlight for me.

Before that was mostly about early dealings with Blue Note and 'Watermelon Man' . . . someone must have taped it . . .

Comment

Fear not

I managed to tape almost all the show, missed the beggining as i was frantically hunting for a tape and managing to watch Moby on the main stage at Glasto on the box.

I'll give you a pm la-soul-fiend

Comment

I'm afraid my addiction to 24 prevented me from watching this... There, I've said it, I'm a 24holic!
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Mongo Santamaria playing 'Watermelon Man' on The Andy Williams Show - class.
              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Of course, any show on Herbie couldn't fail to mention Miles Davis - highlight for me was seeing b&w archive footage of Herb accompanying Miles on "I Fall In Love Too Easily", two bad mofo's.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (van Otterloo @ 30 June 2003,21:19)]Of course, any show on Herbie couldn't fail to mention Miles Davis - highlight for me was seeing b&w archive footage of Herb accompanying Miles on "I Fall In Love Too Easily", two bad mofo's.
                  Notice how no one can talk about Miles Davis in an interview without doing an understated physical/verbal impression of him!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ 30 June 2003,20:52)]I'm afraid my addiction to 24 prevented me from watching this... There, I've said it, I'm a 24holic!
                    I have them all on CD nick! I couldnt wait so I watched it all a couple of months back...the ending is a shocker!

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Harry Crumb @ 30 June 2003,18:40)]Best bit for me was the Mwandishi band section seeing Herb sitting at a moog keyboard with his supersize afro was wonderful. Must try and track some more herbie lp&#39;s down.
                      Mwandishi era hancock is tip for submerged yet spacious funky jazz sometimes veering spiritual. &quot;Mwandishi&quot;, &quot;crossings&quot;, &quot;fat albert rotunda&quot;... but some of the most bonkers moments come when he doesn&#39;t appear as a leader. Like Eddie Henderson &quot;inside out&quot;, Terry Plumeri &quot;he who lives in many places&quot;, mtume &quot;kawaida&quot; or davis&#39; &quot;live evil&quot;. Most are pretty easy to track down except for the Kawaida, which I&#39;m still looking for a copy of. (obe preferred, not trip pressing)

Comment

Anyone know the obscure Hebie Ost &#39;The Spook who sat by the door&#39;?&#33;
                        I&#39;ve always wanted to hear it...
                        Only ever heard rumour of it. Hmmmmmmm

Peace

P.
                        Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

I heard one big tune as played by Kirk DeGiorgio when he hosted &quot;Our Solution&quot; on Kiss and put every mofo on that station to damn shame, including Giles and Pat Forge. Kirk is deep and seriously loves his electronic jazz, but no noodling, just heavy vibes.
                          I understand that Sony [?] put out a compilation several years back featuring this cut from the OST [that never was], but it goes for around a ton. Waaaaay over the top if you ask me, but then I&#39;m pretty sure I heard that cut on a bootleg in Intoxica once also, therefore you might be able to grab at it for a lot less cash. The tune in question sounds very like &quot;Watermelon Man&quot; to me.
                          Still, a wicked doc though and just seeing that footage made me go all goosepimply...................now that&#39;s magic.
                          I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Palmer_Eldrich @ 02 July 2003,18:31)]Anyone know the obscure Hebie Ost &#39;The Spook who sat by the door&#39;?&#33;
                            Only ever heard  rumour of it.  Hmmmmmmm

Peace

P.
                            I have the title tune to this on a comp.

But, I can&#39;t remember which comp. I will get back to yiz.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (formigo @ 04 July 2003,07:15)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Palmer_Eldrich @ 02 July 2003,18:31)]Anyone know the obscure Hebie Ost &#39;The Spook who sat by the door&#39;?&#33;
                              Only ever heard  rumour of it.  Hmmmmmmm

Peace

P.
                              I have the title tune to this on a comp.

But, I can&#39;t remember which comp. I will get back to yiz.
                              it&#39;s on a comp called &#39;science of soul&#39; or something similar. you probably already know the main theme - it&#39;s reused as the first track on Hancock&#39;s Thrust LP (the CD liner notes tell you more).

the OST was scheduled for a release on Columbia and allocated a cat number, but got canned when the movie was withdrawn. it&#39;s a brilliant film by the way, really dark and intense, and Hancock&#39;s score matches the mood perfectly. if you&#39;re into breaks there are some amazing moog/bass/drum breaks on the film that never came out. damn&#33;

there are rumours that a promo 45 of the theme came out in the LA area but were withdrawn within a week when the movie was canned. some of the major OST reference books include this 45 but i&#39;ve never heard of anyone with a copy and none of the big collectors i&#39;ve spoken to have seen one. there was a cover of the theme that was done by Hancock on a super-rare flexi though&#33; i&#39;m told that&#39;s where the compilation track came from.
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X