Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salute to thames

Hi Vultures,

can anybody tell me which library lp features this track by Johnny Hawksworth?
    I will hopefully interview the man himself in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

David
    God bless Fatso.

There wasn't actually an LP with this track on it, as far as I'm aware.

Thames Television needed a piece of music for their logo and one to play at the start of transmissions (it was used from the late 1960s until about 1987), and Johnny Hawksworth wrote it.

Although it was recorded by KPM, I believe it was done by them especially for Thames, rather than being a track from their library.

Comment

And if you want to hear it, here it is (nicked from www.tv-ark.co.uk).

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~simon.....1968.rm

(Right click and 'Save Target As...&#39
      It's not one of his funkier moments......

Comment

This has had one vinyl outing in more recent years - on the "Shut It!" compilation album of music and dialogue from The Sweeney. Also, the tv-ark piece makes mention of a full-length showbiz version of the piece. This suggests something more than the seven seconds of the original? Maybe someone whose employer hasn't nabbed the soundcard out of his PC can check it out. Grrrr etc.

If not especially funky, these old station idents are incredibly evocative. I heard Harry Rabinowitz's LWT theme a couple of weeks ago and got the full Proustian rush, I don't mind telling you!
        The Pop Music Library

Comment

The 'full length showbiz version' is the one I posted a link to - it's fascinating to hear how the tune develops, having become so used to the seven second version (which, as you say, appears on 'Shut It!&#39

LWT used to play an excellent bit of big band swing from KPM at the start of transmission in the 70s ('A Well Swung Fanfare' by Don Jackson, from KPM 1041 IIRC) - quite a contrast from the Thames one!

Have a listen to the 1970s Grampian TV start-up on TV Ark too - a nice swinging 60s piece called 'Sounds On' by Johnny Pearson.

Comment

Thanks, Lord T - I should have known from your name that you'd have the lowdown on this!

Have station idents ever been compiled commercially, do you know? I appreciate that the resulting album would be about 4 minutes long, but given what's comp'ed these days it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.

Not quite sure why I'm so fascinated by all this. I think growing up in the Anglia TV region and waking up to a revolving knight-on-horseback may have something to do with it!
            The Pop Music Library

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Tommo of Sprowston @ 03 July 2003,12:48)]I think growing up in the Anglia TV region and waking up to a revolving knight-on-horseback may have something to do with it!
              Strange but (apparently) true story concerning that horse.

Apparently while A&M were signing Leed's finest indie janglers Cud, the band demanded and allegedly got A&M to buy that horse for them as some sort of bizarre 'signing on' bonus.

I'd love to know whether that is another urban legend, or whether it is sat on a mantlepiece somewhere in Yorkshire right now.
              Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 03 July 2003,14:42)]Strange but (apparently) true story concerning that horse.

Apparently while A&M were signing Leed's finest indie janglers Cud, the band demanded and allegedly got A&M to buy that horse for them as some sort of bizarre 'signing on' bonus.
                Top story, Mr H, but I suspect it's apocryphal.

Said horse was for many years on display in the reception of Anglia TV's studios in Norwich, a fact which always caused much excitement in the playground, as I remember! Postcards were also available, I think. I can't believe the overlords at Anglia would have given it away so cheaply, least of all to Cud? Perhaps in another world, the knight would have revolved to the sounds of 'Rich and Strange'. . .

I'll have a word with the Sprowston massive (ie my Mum and Dad) and see if they know if it's still on display.
                The Pop Music Library

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 03 July 2003,14:42)]I'd love to know whether that is another urban legend...
                  Well, it wasn't in the movie.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                  X