Radio Tip Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Tip Top

Must be about a decade ago that Radio Tip Top was on Radio 1 - with daft humour and charity shop fun, it was ( or would have been ) pretty vulture friendly . . . anyone else remember it fondly? Know what the people behind it did afterwards? Or were in it? ( I wouldn't be surprised . . . )
    Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

I was Tip Top Club member no. 1825, and when I wrote to them (I think it was 1996) they sent me a list of all the music used in the first show of series one. I've still got it, and I'm still looking for some of the tracks!

There are still a few pieces of music they used that I'm trying to find - I used to tape odd snippets of it when there was a particular background piece I liked.

You've got me all nostalgic now, Mr H!

Comment

For some reason I remember the name... somehow fondly, but I can't think why - my mind's a blank!

Comment

I caught the show only a couple of times - a light bit of googling reveals only 3 or 4 links - this being one of them : http://www.angelfire.com/pq/radiohaha/RTIPTOP.html

I started working as a radio plugger in mid '96, and distinctly remember an address for someone at 'Radio Tip Top' being on our database. The guys I used to work with might remember who was behind it - I'll ask them ...
        FunkyDown
        Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
          I was Tip Top Club member no. 1825
          Looks like you beat me by 14, Lord T!

Not sure that Radio Ha Ha description quite does it justice, tho it is fairly accurate. I think most people here would have probably found it very funny

Comment

Ah, a fellow member - wonder how many more of us are still out there?

I've still got the secret number for the request line somewhere, actually - I wonder if it survived the change of dialling codes and still connects to something?

I remember when Tip Top TV interrupted a London area broadcast of The Word on Channel 4, the people behind it were described as a painter and decorator, and a postman - presumably that was Kid Tempo and the Ginger Prince. I suppose the postman half of the duo was the source of all the info in Postman Patois' little sketches (which were the funniest part of the show, I think!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
              I remember when Tip Top TV interrupted a London area broadcast of The Word on Channel 4, the people behind it were described as a painter and decorator, and a postman - presumably that was Kid Tempo and the Ginger Prince.
              I would have loved to have seen that!

Just found this . . . http://www.python.demon.co.uk/tiptop.html

Comment

Tip Top

Anybody up for contacting BBC 7 for some repeats?
                http://www.mixcloud.com/feloniousmunk/

Comment

...That'd be wicked if some repeats could be sorted - it'd make my freeview telly worth having forked out for.

I've been thinking about Tip Top loads recently as I've been bouncing back and forth between London and Brussles and picking up some nice funky vinyl and the odd piece of prime exotica.

Makes me wish I was back in my teenage bedroom, lava lamp bubbling away, a can of Guinness Original on the go and Tip Top knocking out some tunes...

Happy (pre full time employment) days
                  Q: Why did you buy it?
                  A: Look at it...there's no way this is ever gonna be reissued. This piece of vinyl is a slice of history.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Hopkinson
                    Must be about a decade ago that Radio Tip Top was on Radio 1 - with daft humour and charity shop fun, it was ( or would have been ) pretty vulture friendly . . . anyone else remember it fondly? Know what the people behind it did afterwards? Or were in it? ( I wouldn't be surprised . . . )
                    I remember Radio Tip Top (indeed I might have mentioned it on here before).

Their best period was pre-Radio 1 when they were truly a pirate station. Once a week on a Wednesday night - they started around 1993.

Truly a musical ear-opener for me.

I answered their call for new ideas/characters and ended up meeting Eli (Kid Tempo) and The Ginger Prince (errr cant remember his name?) at their HQ near London Bridge.

They did do a one off TV pilot as well.

Got loads of C90 tapes of their pirate shows...

Comment

Hi everyone

Nice to hear some Tip Top fans chatting. I am trying to put together a fansite on the radio station as it is sadly lacking in any quality sites online.

I have loads of letters, posters, certificates, badges, membership card (of course) and other stuff, but no show recordings. I would love any submitted materials to help the site.

www.RadioTipTop.co.uk

Thanks

Andy

Comment

I taped the last show in series 1 - gawd knows where it's got to, but I should still have the cassette somewhere. I've also got numerous short clips on various tapes, as mentioned above.

If you want the complete list of music for show 1, let me know and I'll try and send you a copy.

Comment

Tip Top

I can't find my original membership card but I received this as a compensatory prize in the find a word that rhymes with Moog competition.

My entry of Vogue was deemed to be too clever clogs.

Felonious

http://www.mixcloud.com/feloniousmunk/

Comment

Brilliant story, he he.

I have my membership card and certificate. I also have my unlicenced membership certificate which had my name and number stuck on with that plastic strip labelling system that i cannot remember the name of ...

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andycandler View Post
                              that plastic strip labelling system that i cannot remember the name of ...

Andy
                              'Dymo', non?

Comment

Working...
                              X