Young generation heads up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young generation heads up

Cheers for the heads up on The Young Generation in the new Alyn Ainsworth section. I knew I'd seen it somewhere and passed on it very recently as it was 3 or 4 euro. Wandered into a local oxfam and it was still there which is sweet. Side 1 is a bit rubbish apart fromt eh George Harrison cover but side 2 roools. Especially "Dancing In The Moonlight".

Are there many more covers of "Dancing In The Moonlight" knocking around - apart from Toploaders obviously, which I fully expect to see clogging up the charity shops presently.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Liza Minelli makes a competent job of it on the same LP with Use Me (cheers Lee ). I still haven't heard the King Harvest (?) original myself...
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Hey ETK,

Nice use of my favorite Throbbing Gristle LP as an Avatar..

I used to have this LP as a kid and wore a copy of it out. I've never replaced it, I really should - Old Les on Darlo market has had a copy on his stall since '97 when I moved to the North East and it's still sat there.... priced up to the max - ooof! I better stop talking about Old Les before the likes of Chris Vulture and Towny start getting irate ! Boy, has that old codger p*ssed us all off with his remarkable pricing strategy!

I really like the album, never failed to scare your mates and new girlfriends, especially when used tactically alongside The Jesus And Mary Chain and Foetus - hahahahahahaha !!

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

...sorry! off on a bit of a tangent there or what !

...it's work, I've had enough...

...still, the weekend is here...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ 04 July 2003,11:44)]Cheers for the heads up on The Young Generation in the new Alyn Ainsworth section. I knew I'd seen it somewhere and passed on it very recently as it was 3 or 4 euro. Wandered into a local oxfam and it was still there which is sweet. Side 1 is a bit rubbish apart fromt eh George Harrison cover but side 2 roools. Especially "Dancing In The Moonlight".
          cheers for the heads up indeed - i chanced upon a copy in one of my local charities for the princely sum of 50p earlier this week and i've not been disappointed!!

i tried to keep an open mind, because having only heard the toploader version (urrrgh) it's enough to colour your judgement for 5 seconds or so...

superb version by the young generation - there's got to be some more albums by them out there...

Comment

i need to go and see all my relatives up there some time, so will have to get some Darlo tips from you guys.

the King Harvest version is very nice, although the Toploader version is a pretty accurate cover (just not as good). more electric piano on the original if i remember

Comment

just been in VE and they want ten crisp ones for that Young Generation comp!!! mind you, they want 20 for Muller's 'Soul Hits 2'!!!! heavens sake!! There should be an orig LP with 'Dancing in the moonlight' on, the only other one of theirs i have is 'they sold a million' and its real kak...

i've got a spare of the comp if anyone wants to swap...

Comment

I've been buying Young Generation LPs for a good few years now - I wouldn't pay a tenner for any of 'em though. (I wouldn't pay a tenner for most things, to be honest, being a bit of a cheapskate an' all)

I heard their 'Dancing in the Moonlight' long before Toploader's, fortunately, otherwise it would have spoiled the song for me forever - I love the intro with the trombone stabs and furious drumming from Alf Bigden, it's just fantastic.

I've probably got the original LP somewhere, I'll have a look later.

I remember their 1969 LP on BBC records had a couple of nice moments on it, and I like 'Pretty' on the RCA 'Best Of'. There's also a good scat track, called 'Ba Ba Da Ba Da' (or summat like that), written by Alyn Ainsworth. Barbara Moore they ain't, but it's an amusing little number nonetheless.

Comment

Got an LP by the Young Generation called 'Photograph', a week or two ago. Thought it was pants! (RCA'74)
                  You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Just to add to the confusion, I picked up an LP once by an outfit called The Second Generation (on Phillips?) which was basically a similar kind of outfit, with Geoff Love & one of the other Lords of Lounge behind it (can't remember who, though - Moorhouse, Tew, one of that crew...). The music had its moments (a good 'Spinning Wheel', 'Tap Turns On The Water' etc) but the vocals were excriuciating stage school pants. Not to be confused with anything I guess...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Hey, you leave those Toploader guys alone. I know them from back in my Eastbourne days. One of them actually headbutted another friend of mine at a pub gig because he had the nerve to suggest that they weren't very good!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ 04 July 2003,20:41)]Hey, you leave those Toploader guys alone. I know them from back in my Eastbourne days. One of them actually headbutted another friend of mine at a pub gig because he had the nerve to suggest that they weren't very good!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (wayne @ 04 July 2003,16:44)]Just to add to the confusion, I picked up an LP once by an outfit called The Second Generation (on Phillips?) which was basically a similar kind of outfit, with Geoff Love & one of the other Lords of Lounge behind it (can't remember who, though - Moorhouse, Tew, one of that crew...). The music had its moments (a good 'Spinning Wheel', 'Tap Turns On The Water' etc) but the vocals were excriuciating stage school pants. Not to be confused with anything I guess...
                          Oh yes, there was a TV series connected with this bunch, called '.........and the 2Gs' (can't remember what the first word was).
                          The Second Generation were devised as a sort of 'S Club Juniors' type spin off from the Young Generation, or something like that - there was an official connection, anyway.
                          But I bet they never boasted stars of the magnitude of Lesley Judd, Nigel Lythgoe and Michael Barrymore's ex-missus in their line up

Comment

Sie Vulture -cheers re. the avatar, or the more amusing "what you mean it isn't a jazz funk compilation?"

I've never much noticed Liza Minelli lps knocking round but will keep my eyes peeled for more "Dancing In The moonlight", its possible I just didn't pay much attention to them. Are they common over in the UK?
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

talking of Liza Minelli, check out her 'Sterile Cuckoo' OST... to be had for pence in the UK, got a couple of tasty psychy/rocky/funky instros on it (by Fred 'Up the down staircase' Karlin, who also did some very funky and unissued music for the short-lived Kiss movie&#33
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X