Todays car boot finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays car boot finds

i've had no luck in charity shops of late, is it me or is it getting harder to find anything decent in charities nowadays (i blame eBay), so it was nice to get some good stuff at the the local dealer fair, i mean car boot, also there was this guy there who had four boxes of records under his pasteing table and everything was in sections i.e james last, bert kaempfert, organ, religious, piano, holiday etc & i expected them to be priced fairly high as they were organised, but the nice thing was they were all 50p each, here goes with the finds:

ray mcvay - it's reggae time (fontana)
    barbados steel orch - live
    v/a - latin delights (verve special) jazz musicians doing latin, great herbie mann track called 'frenesi&#39
    v/a - more latin delights (verve special) same as above, stand out track 'hip hug-her by chico o' farrill.
    roberto delgado - carimba vol 3 (fuzz guitar track 'tabasco&#39
    v/a - big bands/big hits (reader digest) duke ellington 'spanish flea' best version i've heard, also great versions of music to watch girls by & i want to hold your hand.
    carnival des philippines at-atihan (playasound) interesting!!
    kings singers - lollipops (emi) after the goldrush!!!!
    chaquito - swinging latin sound (wing)
    mongo santamaria - hey! lets party (cbs super stereo)
    jose feliciano - in latin mood (rca camden)
    harmonites - sweet steel (emerald)
    chaquito - play worldbeaters (fontana)
    gatecrashers - come to our party (stereo gold award) 2 different ones
    harold melvin - reaching for the world (abc)
    the surfaris - wipe out... (contour)
    klaus wunderlich - sud americana no.2
    harry stoneham - very best of (studio 2)
    4 bbc sound effects
    4 80's music de wolfe (probably up for trade)
    o.c.smith - the collection (hallmark)
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Diggin' this weekend was, in general,  a nightmare...

Made it to the early Saturday market and was surprised to realise that I'd beaten the eBay dealers to Dealer Dave's stall. I was further blessed to pick up the following albums for a relatively small sum:-

Manu Dibango "Afrovision" (Decca, 1976)

Lonnie Liston Smith "The Best Of" (RCA, 1980) - all the greats on one album - irresistible!

Con Funk Shun "Organized Con Funk Shun" (Pickwick, 1976) - repackaged 1973 tracks

Original Tropicana Steel Band "Hot Steel" (Polydor, 1978) - the band's second album, recorded at Chappell Studios with Nick Ingman in the control tower.

...pick of the bunch...

Ralph Robles "Taking Over / Conquistando" (Fania/London, 1969) - a storming Latin boogaloo album, the original UK press in stone mint condition too! "Taking Over", "Happy", "Eenie Meenie"... so many good tracks...

...then after this slice of luck at the market, I thought to myself "it's got to be MY weekend... I'm gonna bag up everywhere I go"... yeah right... I checked out a dozen charity shops on Saturday and hit two massive booters on the Sunday morning (7am start) and got - sweet f*ck all... !

...so, I was happy with my little lot from Saturday morning!

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

hey Sie
      if you want to trade the Ralph Robles - let me know! been after that one for a while...
      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Sorry John... that   is for keeps !

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

fair enough.

Comment

I scored MANU DIBANGO-"Afro Vision" FIESTA Library from 1976
            on EBAY for $19.50

Jack

Comment

had a gig in Devon on Thursday so I thought I'd look up a couple of places on the way: pretty slim pickings in Tiverton / South Molton / Barnstaple / Ilfracombe:

Jimi Hendrix/Curtis Knight 'The Wild One' (Hallmark)
              rough as a badger's

James Last 'Music from around the way' (Polydor)
              never seen it, it's a US press, stupidly curious for 50p.

Mike Wilhelm - great country rock lp from ex-Charlatans bloke, released on United Artists in conjunction with Zig Zag magazine

'Appalachia - the old traditions volume 2'
              Barking field-recording stuff of ancient hillbilly-type people called things like Benton Flippen, Pug Allen and Dent Wimmer. Inspired if a little scary in a Deliverance way.

The It 'On top of the world'
              I'd forgotten about this great Larry Heard LP from 1990 - very blissed-out vocal pill house with proper songs and a psychedelic collage sleeve.

The Valiant Orchestra (Valiant)
              Don't recognise the names (Brian Gascoigne, Alasdair Hamilton, Timothy Kraemer, Tony Cox), but a great easy-funky-big band lp. With a Jefferson Airplane medley, no less. and tracks called 'toothpaste omelette' and 'look out, here come the gooseberries' Hmmm. Perhaps spiking the horn section wasn't such a good idea.

Manuel etc. 'Shangri-La'
              why, why, why?

Workforce to the World 'Live on Site'
              Ha! Actually a fantastic Devo bootleg from 1978, haven't seen it for years. Priced at £3. 'I've never heard of Workforce to the world, mate, but it's not in the book so I put three pound on it.'

Talking Heads 'This must be the place 12"'
              why not?

John Williams 'The Height Below/Changes'
              Illclassicalguitarbeat50prare

Shelly Thunder 'Fresh out the pack'
              Amusing pop dancehall from '89

And two stereo gold awards I didn't have :

Duke Grant 'Hammond Disco'
              Various 'Disco Dynamite'
              They seem to be strangely similar in places.

Still, my mate the Green Man got me the John Betjeman break in a Coventry booter, then there was a little 'community fair' in a very nice park in Bristol on Sunday - lots of 'ethnic organic vegetarian' food, multiple copies of Roddy bastard Doyle, Nick bastard Hornby and Margaret bastard Atwood books, and, miraculously, these:

Ventures 'The Horse'
              entertaining attempts at soul and proto-funk numbers from this bunch of old hams.

Blue Mink 'Best of'
              My first album of the Mink. Embarassing I know.

A Visit to Trumpton
              (MFP copy - but still irresistable)

Brenda Wooton, John the Fish, and Cornish Folk 'Pasties and Cream' (Sentinel)
              Frightening Cornish private-press folk lp that's going on ebay.

Savoy Brown 'a step further'
              no sleeve alas, but only a pound. haven't checked this one out yet, but any lp that features a medley of 'purple haze' and 'hernando's hideaway' is alright with me.

Ram John Holder 'Bootleg Blues'
              nice lp (with poster as well) but a bit, well, bluesy.

Stamma and his Clubbites 'Montego Beat'
              This is more like it - island covers of 'Black Magic Woman' and 'Shaft', some good originals, and an advert for Billy Craig Insurance Limited on the back sleeve. Stamma and his band are 'currently appearing at the Casa Montego hotel in Montego Bay'

and finally:

Michael Garrick Band 'Home Strech Blues' (Argo)
              Blimey! This is probably the best UK jazz album I've heard - Michael Garrick, Norma Winstone, Don Rendell, Henry Lowther... it's an absolute belter from 1972..and it's mint!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ 08 July 2003,00:11)]Still, my mate the Green Man got me the John Betjeman break in a Coventry booter,
                which lp is this on? i'm sure someone has mentioned this before?

Comment

Not a bad weekend in that I actually found some records worth buying in the charities, but only really one to ask about - Ken Parker 'A Touch Of Inspiration'.

At the time I wasn't sure what it was. There was cover of some country tune, the label was Pisces, the scant notes mentioned other 'gospel' recordings and 'Jet Star' was just visible at the bottom of the sleeve. After listening, it's an okayish country tinged reggae LP, but what I want to know is how late was this recorded? The choice of tunes is fairly 70's, but the production quality sounds later. Anyone?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I have my Dad's old copy of Ram John Holder's "BLack London Blues" which is an old favourite. Maybe not the greatest blues thing ever but stuff like "Wimpy Bar Blues" has a lot of appeal.

I was surprised to find he was one of the actors in C4 sitcom Desmond's.
                    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

...And, before Matt chips in, he was a member of Geno Washington's Ram Jam Band. Brixton Blues is a nice track...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (the bearded one @ 08 July 2003,11:13)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ 08 July 2003,00:11)]Still, my mate the Green Man got me the John Betjeman break in a Coventry booter,
                        the album's 'late flowering love' and mighty weird it is, and not a little creepy in parts.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ 08 July 2003,11:49)]I have my Dad's old copy of Ram John Holder's "BLack London Blues" which is an old favourite. Maybe not the greatest blues thing ever but stuff like "Wimpy Bar Blues" has a lot of appeal.

I was surprised to find he was one of the actors in C4 sitcom Desmond's.
                          Go straight to 'Brixton Blues'.

Very chunky & funky - went down very well at the last Brillo meet.

Comment

To be honest I like the whole "Black London Blues" album. It was one that regularly got spun from end to end when my brother and I were living in London, speshily when having a session in our squalid dive.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ 08 July 2003,12:00)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (the bearded one @ 08 July 2003,11:13)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              the album's 'late flowering love' and mighty weird it is, and not a little creepy in parts.
                              thanks!
                              will have to keep my eyes peeled for it,sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                              X