See them while you can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See them while you can

After hearing about Herbie and Barry shuffling off this mortal coil I got into a conversation over the weekend about acts/singers that should be seen soon as they are getting on a bit and we may only have a few years left to be able to catch them (a)live.

A bit morbid I know, but there are so many acts I wish I had seen and now regret e.g. Frank Sinatra, Curtis Mayfield, Art Blakey etc etc

A few we came up with were:

The Dells - apparently they looked like they'd keel over at any minute when they stepped on stage at Trentham Gardens, but the minute Marvin Junior started singing, grown men in the audience were close to tears.

Tony Bennett - One of the few crooners still going.

Er that was it (we were in a bar in Amsterdam, so cogitation was a bit difficult)

Who do you think I should book that ticket for now?
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Well, looking at the state of Bob Hope on his 100th birthday, if he performs somewhere near Newmarket, I'd get down there sharpish.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Nice one

Hey dont diss Newmarket! I'll let you know at the Racecourse we have many a top performing artiste on a Friday.

Erm, ok when I say many (and keeping with the dead thread) I saw Edwin Starr there a few years ago, but they've also had Lulu and er... Duran Duran and Tony Hadley......

I'm sure you Vulture lot will be green with envy at this years batch:

* Friday 20 June 2003 - A Tribute To The Bee Gees
      * Friday 18 July 2003 - Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra
      Jools Holland: Members Enclosure and Grandstand & Paddock Enclosure Tickets SOLD OUT
      * Friday 25 July 2003 - Liberty X
      * Friday 1 August 2003 - Status Quo
      * Friday 8 August 2003 - The Hollies
      * Friday 15 August 2003 - Atomic Kitten

I'm particularly looking forward to the mighty Quo!

Unfortunately, unless America declares war on Suffolk and the troops need a bit of a boost I think we've got 2 Hopes of seeing Leslie Townes Hope in Newmarket...
      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

I thought David Gray was looking a bit peaky at Glastonbury, we can but hope........

Benicio
        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ 07 July 2003,10:51)]Well, looking at the state of Bob Hope on his 100th birthday, if he performs somewhere near Newmarket, I'd get down there sharpish.
          Sadly too late now LBG, but a good call none the less.

Comment

I read an article a few years ago that a group of KPM musicians got together as the KPM ALl stars and played in some cafe in london. It sounds too good to be true. An urban myth perhaps?

btw, I am interviewing Mr Johnny Hawksworth tonight in his sydney apartment!! Apparaently he still plays in a jazz band in one of sydney's supper clubs!

David
            God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (soundsville @ 29 July 2003,01:08)]I read an article a few years ago that a group of KPM musicians got together as the KPM ALl stars and played in some cafe in london. It sounds too good to be true. An urban myth perhaps?
              Nope - absolutely true. Think they played the Jazz Cafe,if I remember rightly, and someone posted a link to a magazine article (an interview with Hawkshaw & Mansfield?) a while ago... I'm sure someone else will remember in which thread this turned up, or if it doesn't any longer exist will be able to post it up again...
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I saw herbie hancock and bobby hutcherson last week in my home town (Gent/Belgium)

It was great ! They played a very nice funky set (great version of dolphins dance ) bobby realy was amazing.

nice...

Comment

I have the KPM Allstars gig on cd somewhere...er feck knows tho. I scanned the Big Daddy article on Hawkshaw and the KPM Allstars gig but its not on my site anymore.

If anyone has the jpegs - mail me them and I'll put it up again.

I missed the gig - I can't believe it.

What are the odds we can book them for a hot funk and sweaty
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

If you could get that online on realaudio or mp3 .. well It would be more fun to go to work&#33;
                    salchicha&#33;

Comment

i also have been informed that Alan hawkshaw now performs the Mohawks stuff live with his daughters backing him on vocals. Can anyone confirm this?
                      God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (wayne @ 29 July 2003,02:06)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (soundsville @ 29 July 2003,01:08)]I read an article a few years ago that a group of KPM musicians got together as the KPM ALl stars and played in some cafe in london. It sounds too good to be true. An urban myth perhaps?
                        Nope - absolutely true. Think they played the Jazz Cafe,if I remember rightly, and someone posted a link to a magazine article (an interview with Hawkshaw &amp; Mansfield?) a while ago... I&#39;m sure someone else will remember in which thread this turned up, or if it doesn&#39;t any longer exist will be able to post it up again...
                        it&#39;s true - i was lucky enough to go. tickets went quickly as it was a real one-off. it was the launch party for the KPM music for dancefloors comp from Strut. they&#39;d invited all the big name KPM guys down to London for the day and took them out. most of them were hammered by the time they got to the gig, except Mansfield and Hawkshaw (and poss Parker from memory). james clarke was very funny, and off his nut. the current boss of KPM gave a very interesting speech detailing who the label came into being, how and where the music was recorded, and who were the people involved. the musicians had to go to Germany by train (cue much beer and drugs) to record the sessions as there was a musicians&#39; union ban on library music at the time - they thought it will kill demand for musicians.

half of them conducted their own tracks and the other half played them with the large &#39;house band&#39; (about 20 or so players), made up of name session jazzers like Nigel whatsisname. there were also a lot of other name KPM players upstairs in the restaurant area who didn&#39;t play (Brian Bennett for example).

there was a really happy vibe about the whole night, and the band really played a blinder. it was packed out and i think that really helped, as it was on a weird night of the week (tues or thurs maybe?). high points: duncan lamont conducting &#39;funky express&#39; while completely hammered and confessing that he&#39;d been so pissed and stoned on the KPM sessions that he couldn&#39;t remember composing the tune, Hawkshaw (in a lurid dayglo frock coat&#33 playing blistering versions of Grange Hill and Countdown themes (which he said he wasn&#39;t sure he was proud of, but it pays for 3 chineses a week instead of 1), Mansfield (who looked knackered) conducting the only ever live performance of the Grandstand theme. definitely one of the best gigs i&#39;ve been to, since it was a complete one-off and for once the cliche was true - there was a lot of love in the room.

strut had the whole thing professionally recorded (video as well as audio) but last time i talked to quinton about it there were no plans for a release.
                        http://www.blaxploitation.com
                        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

ed - very evocative&#33;&#33; i was very pissed off that i couldn&#39;t go at the time, surely the gig to end all gigs? one of my friends went and reviewed it for mojo or the times or something, he reckoned it was one of his favourite gigs.

would have love to have seen hawkshaw in that get-up - worth the admission price alone?

sounds like the kpm lads were a bit wilder than i thought, when recording those sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (soundsville @ 31 July 2003,06:46)]i also have been informed that Alan hawkshaw now performs the Mohawks stuff live with his daughters backing him on vocals. Can anyone confirm this?
                            Well, Kirsty Hakshaw (Alan&#39;s daughter) is a very successful musician in her own, right unless I&#39;ve got my facts totally wrong.
                            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 31 July 2003,10:14)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (soundsville @ 31 July 2003,06:46)]i also have been informed that Alan hawkshaw now performs the Mohawks stuff live with his daughters backing him on vocals. Can anyone confirm this?
                              Well, Kirsty Hakshaw (Alan&#39;s daughter) is a very successful musician in her own, right unless I&#39;ve got my facts totally wrong.
                              she is.

she started off in opus iii (they got their name from the moog keyboard) - you must remember &quot;it&#39;s a fine day&quot;? i think that was back in &#39;92. orbital sampled it for &quot;halcyon&quot; about a year later as well.

she went on to work with tom middleton of global communications (who i think she&#39;s married to now) and brought out a couple of solo albums. from what i&#39;ve heard, it was really nice ambient stuff - i like her voice&#33;

also, i read a feature on her in sound on sound or something, where she had a photo of alan perched on a keyboard and she definitely mentioned her dad

Comment

Working...
                              X