Hurdy gurdy man...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurdy gurdy man...

Anyone know of any hurdy gurdy man cover versions?

I'm trying to track down quite a folky rock version - has a woman singing the lyrcis. Has a long intro - misses the first two verses and starts 'Histories of ages past...'

I'll try and get an mp3 up.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Eartha Kitt does a version (Music For Pleasure), as do Spleen (US Limelight) - I&#39;m sure there&#39;s a few hundred others.
    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

You thinking of the &#39;Music To Watch Girls Cry&#39; version by any chance Sermad?
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

This one -&gt;

If its the same as the &#39;music to watch girls cry&#39; one then its a coincidence as its from a cd given to me buy a prog rock dude.

Comment

It&#39;s different and a lot better. But where&#39;s the vocals?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

its different cos its the wrong bloody track. (I dont actually know what this is).

hehehe. hold on...

Ok the right one is up there now

Comment

In a strange case of extremes, the two covers I can recall are by the Button Down Brass and the Butthole Surfers - it&#39;s unlikely to be either of these I would have thought.
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 07 July 2003,13:35)]In a strange case of extremes, the two covers I can recall are by the Button Down Brass and the Butthole Surfers - it&#39;s unlikely to be either of these I would have thought.
                ...but have you ever noticed how similar these versions actually are ? OK, ignore Gibby Haynes vocal on the Butthole&#39;s version, but *musically*.....

Who would have thought Ray Davies et al would ever get *that* comparison eh
                Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 07 July 2003,13:35)]In a strange case of extremes, the two covers I can recall are by the Button Down Brass and the Butthole Surfers - it&#39;s unlikely to be either of these I would have thought.
                  Actually, I think it just may well be the BDB version. Not 100% at all until I can give it a spin at home but it does sound *very* familiar...

Comment

If there are lyrics missing, there&#39;s the smallest chance it might possibly be Fontana-era BDB, when they had a habit of doing half-instumental, half vocal stuff with the Mike Sammes Singers. Not sure whether I&#39;ve got that version though - I&#39;ll see if I can find it.

(Slightly interestingly, I believe both the BDB and Donovan&#39;s original both feature Alan Parker on guitar - not quite as remarkable as the BDB&#39;s &#39;Melting Pot&#39;, which actually has most of Blue Mink playing on it.......)

Comment

I&#39;m more certain that it&#39;s the BDB after that Lord Thames - certainly sounds like Alan&#39;s axe strangling and the Mike Sammes Singers...

Comment

Very interesting guys. That mp3 is working proper now so checkity check it.

Your description of the BDB version has me thinking it is it as its a bit parpy. What lp is the BDB version on btw?

Comment

&#39;This Guy&#39;s In Love&#39;. And I think it may have been reissued under another name?

Comment

Ah yes - I think I&#39;ve got both versions of that LP - give us a few minutes and I&#39;ll check.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 07 July 2003,15:04)]Ah yes - I think I&#39;ve got both versions of that LP - give us a few minutes and I&#39;ll check.
                              Should have just done this in the first place.... but I&#39;ve had a listen and it is the BDB version as mentioned above. And a fine version it is too.....
                              Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X