Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul mauriat 'salutes the beatles'  - who's right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul mauriat 'salutes the beatles'  - who's right?

Dear God - there are two write ups for this album in the vulture's various sections, the one on Mauriat says its great, the one on Beatle's covers says its mainly crap. Who can I trust?

I thought that vinylvulture was the one thing I could rely on in a world gone mad but now it seems no even it can be relied on........
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

To be fair they both mention the same tracks as the best ones.

I'll probably go back to the place I saw it at lunchtime and it'll be gone anyway. Or scrathed to hell.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

i think i only listened to 'Hey Jude' and 'Get Back' or whichever the 'good' tracks are. the 'Get Back' is totally crazy, well worth your 50p. also, it looks like a comp so these tracks must be elsewhere on other LPs, but some of his albums seem to be US-only (El Condor Pasa, The Soul of, More Mauriat, etc, i.e. the good ones). they're also geared towards the US market, with liberal use of words like 'The Now Sound' in the subtitles and liner notes. meanwhile over here we got lumbered with 'Blooming Hits' and all that other rubbish.

also on the site it says the earliest they have is '66. well, i have several from the late 50s and early 60s and they're dull. all French stuff too, no pop cover versions, so avoid

Comment

For what it's worth I have a Mauriat LP titled 'El Condor Pasa' on UK Philips from 1971 (Cat. no. 6311084)...

Comment

Well it was 2.50 actually - so it'll definitly need to be in good condition to get my cash.

John Peel

Comment

ooh, too much! that one will turn up for a quid or less, give it time

the only one i shelled out on was 8 dollars or so for 'The Soul of' which is very nice all the way through, and also has a cracking sitar version of 'You Keep Me Hanging On' on. then 'More Mauriat' was across the street in Goodwill for 99c...

Comment

well thats euro, and its 5 for a tenner - though the only other interesting thing was a Yes album from 1978.

Ha ha - I'm still recovering from 2 hours baking my brain in the sun at glasto watching Yes.

Well I'm off - history will record.

John Peel

Comment

2.50 - good god man don't do it - I've a spare you can have for free and gratis 'an all that.

If anyone has a spare "Soul of..." - give us a shout.
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

keepin' yer Beatsall's thread, i scored a copy of Frank Pourcell's
                  'Meets the beatles' opus at a booter last week, some of it is a bit strange/loopy his versh of 'Penny lane' in particular is all over the shop time signature wise and it's an ok lp for a quid.
                  derelicts of dialect

Comment

'Soul Of...' did get a UK release, under the title of 'Rhythm & Blues'.

'Salutes the Beatles' is indeed a comp - can't remember what LP 'Get Back' is from.

Apropos of nothing, I've got a Mauriat LP recorded especially for the Brazillian market, and never released anywhere else. Can't be too many of those about, I'd imagine.

I like the Pourcel Beatles LP too - he gets a bit of a slagging on VV does old Franck, most unwarranted I think.

Comment

Picked up a double last weekend - 'Paul Mauriat Plays World Hits' (woman with a fag on the cover) - which has a fair few of the soul/Beatles tracks scattered across its four sides - and it also features the 'Etude in the form of Rhythm & Blues'. It's in a weird kind of 'box' affair, but offers a fair overview of his stuff I reckon (shame it doesn't have 'Jesehel', 'Sunshine In' & 'Hanging On...' on it, or it might well be all you'd ever need&#33. There are very nice versions of 'Aquarius' 'Sunny' & 'Unchain My Heart' on it I hadn't heard before, though...so not too bad for the 50p invested.
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Lord thames, i concurr with you sir, as regards that pourcell lp
                        at the same booter also picked up a copy of Ron Goodwins 'play Burt Bacharach' which is also quite good in my humble opinion, quite orchestral but nice 'n' easy,produced by some old geezer called George Martin, dunno' who he is tho.....
                        derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 09 July 2003,20:04)]I like the Pourcel Beatles LP too - he gets a bit of a slagging on VV does old Franck, most unwarranted I think.
                          I'd also like to stick up for Franck.... I have never felt cheaped out of my boot sale quid for one of his Lps - and I think his version of 'Daydream' is the best of the bunch arrangement-wise.

Well said Lord Thames !
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Thanks!

Sadly, all this isn't a lot of use to poor old Franck - he died about two years ago aged 88.

Paul M is still around, thankfully - retired, but 'The Paul Mauriat Orchestra' still tours occasionally.

Comment

Pourcel does a great version of 'You Only Live Twice', but i don't have a copy of this LP, so if you find one you should give it to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X