More donovan covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More donovan covers?

Recently picked up the Mickie Most comp with Superlungs on. AMG states that the actual Terry Reid album version is Superlungs My Supergirl, as in the Donovan song, but it sounds like a pretty 'loose' cover to me. Is it really the same song?

Whereas Taj Mahal's Chevrolet, lyrically, sounds as if it was heavily inspired by Hey Gyp (Dig The Slowness). Anyone else noticed any resemblances or are these the idle thoughts of an idle nerd?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't know the Donovan track, but the superlungs on the MFP comp is the same as on the OG LP - cracking track !
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (TOWNY @ 10 July 2003,13:01)]Don't know the Donovan track, but the superlungs on the MFP comp is the same as on the OG LP - cracking track !
      The Donovan track is off Barabagal - just consider this line up...

Jeff Beck  -  Guitar
      Donovan  -  Guitar, Harmonica, Vocals
      Rod Stewart  -  Vocals
      Ron Wood  -  Guitar
      Harold McNair  -  Flute
      Madeline Bell  -  Vocals
      Nicky Hopkins  -  Keyboards
      Aynsley Dunbar  -  Drums
      Tony Carr  -  Percussion, Drums
      Alan Hawkshaw  -  Piano

(And a for Rod).
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 10 July 2003,13:16)]
        Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (TOWNY @ 10 July 2003,13:01)]Don't know the Donovan track, but the superlungs on the MFP comp is the same as on the OG LP - cracking track !
        The Donovan track is off Barabagal - just consider this line up...

Jeff Beck  -  Guitar
        Donovan  -  Guitar, Harmonica, Vocals
        Rod Stewart  -  Vocals
        Ron Wood  -  Guitar
        Harold McNair  -  Flute
        Madeline Bell  -  Vocals
        Nicky Hopkins  -  Keyboards
        Aynsley Dunbar  -  Drums
        Tony Carr  -  Percussion, Drums
        Alan Hawkshaw  -  Piano

(And a for Rod).
        Der, of course - listening to it now. I reckon the Terry Reid cover is more my personal bag but i do agree that he has gone off on a bit of an artistic tangent on that one
        SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

leo sayer's 'you make me feel like dancing' features Steve Gadd, Chuck Rainey and (is it) Larry Carlton...

draw your own conclusion
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (theeman @ 10 July 2003,16:23)]leo sayer's 'you make me feel like dancing' features Steve Gadd, Chuck Rainey and (is it) Larry Carlton...

draw your own conclusion
            I'd drawn you attention to the Dennis Waterman LP 'Downwind Of Angels' for the same reason. Brilliant line up.... *dreadful* record.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 10 July 2003,12:46)]Recently picked up the Mickie Most comp with Superlungs on. AMG states that the actual Terry Reid album version is Superlungs My Supergirl, as in the Donovan song, but it sounds like a pretty 'loose' cover to me. Is it really the same song?

Whereas Taj Mahal's Chevrolet, lyrically, sounds as if it was heavily inspired by Hey Gyp (Dig The Slowness). Anyone else noticed any resemblances or are these the idle thoughts of an idle nerd?

'Hey Gyp' is an adaptation of 'Chevrolet' which was an earlier American blues by Ed Young. It's available on a boxed set of Alan Lomax field recordings.

Comment

My rule of thumb is if the song sounds like an old blues number it probably was no matter what teh writing credit says. I reckoned "Hey Gyp" was a rip off when i heard it on that comp "Dig The Slowness".
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                X