Tubby hayes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubby hayes...

Next time you flick past that tubby hayes record in the charity - make a mental note

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2543866052

I know nothing about the mans work other than it goes for a fortune and he's stopping me getting a 'hymns a swingin' for cheap.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Pricey, moi? There&#39;s a Hayes ep in the local Big Apple shop with a sticker on it saying &quot;£15. Crap Condition&quot;. This in a place where &#39;Ex&#39; can mean looking like a skating rink (&quot;yeah, but it plays ex...&quot. No, they&#39;re not joking. Or overstaing the case. Would Phil Eyden be the brother (or dad, or something) of Johnny, erstwhile partner in jazz of our own Harry Stoneham on &#39;Two Fellows To Follow&#39;, by the way?
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

The LP Tubby Hayes Orchestra (on Fontana, lateer 60&#39;s) has a version of Hey Jude, with a beat if I remember.
      In my opinion, the Fontana LP&#39;s are the only ones I dug.
      The Tempo stuff is far to early for us guys (straight, boring jazz), but check &#39;Down in the Village&#39; LP, this one is a killer. Also Late spot @ Scotts LP.
      If anyone ever comes across Down in the Village on LP I&#39;d trade fairly well on it, only got it on CD.
      Peace is not the word to play&#33;
      Boney
      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ 10 July 2003,18:50)]Next time you flick past that tubby hayes record in the charity - make a mental note

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2543866052
        arse, arse, arse. my dad had that one when i was a kid. bugger&#33;

Comment

Anyone interested in British jazz should check the fabulous Impressed compilation put together by Gilles Peterson [reviewed on this site]. This includes many wicked tunes which should appeal to the more   folks who visit this site. I think the vinyl was limited [may be wrong] so don&#39;t sleep, it&#39;s worth every penny.

TaTa

Urko
          For folks sake!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ 10 July 2003,20:26)]The LP Tubby Hayes Orchestra (on Fontana, lateer 60&#39;s) has a version of Hey Jude, with a beat if I remember.
            Indeed it has, plus a cracking version of &#39;These Boots Are Made For Walking&#39;.

Now that was one I did find in a charity shop, for a mere 60p.

The book price has dropped dramatically for it, though - last year it was £100, this year a mere £20. Not that I&#39;d ever sell it, but still .

Comment

tubby played on a million other things like soundtracks too - he takes one of the solos (with Ronnie Scott) on the superb &#39;Car Chase&#39; cut off Roy Budd&#39;s &#39;Fear Is The Key&#39;.
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I scored the Jazz couriers on the second ember press out of a charity.

It&#39;s ok but more a curates egg type piece than a great listen.

I agree about &#39;Down In The Village&#39; though, a great LP that I haven&#39;t
                had the luck of getting yet.
                He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

I&#39;m having trouble finding the &quot;Gilles Peterson Impressed&quot; compilation anywher ein Dublin. Is there anywhere likely to have it on the web, preferably UK to keep the postage halfway reasonable?
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

www.juno.co.uk have it on vinyl, or did you want CD? their service is excellent, the only thing is they don&#39;t restock anything when it sells out - the site&#39;s aimed at new dance 12&quot; releases really

Comment

One of the reviews said the vinyl extra trackis one fo the best so I&#39;d be going for that. The only thing confusing me is I&#39;ve heard mixed reports as to wether its straight ahead post-bop jazz or more dancefloor type stuff.

As long as its better than what he&#39;s been playing on his shows lately I&#39;ll be happy. Unless he saves the good stuff to 1.30am as I usually leave a minidisc running and go to bed.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I saw the Tempo Tap 15 go for £710 on ebay a while back&#33;
                        But a lot of his other stuff goes fo nowt. Probably for good reason.
                        I don&#39;t know the album meself but I do know of a stonkin&#39; version of &quot;To be a Pilgrim&quot; by the man. It&#39;s available on some fairly recent comp.

p

Comment

that sounds like it might be the one from &#39;Hymns A-swingin&#39; which is the Ted Taylor Organisation with the Mike Sammes Singers

Comment

It&#39;s comped on the Trunk &#39;Resurrection&#39; LP...
                            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

and on &#39;Beat Actione&#39; from &#39;95 or so

Comment

Working...
                              X