Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favour for a mate!

chaps.

A friend of mine has emailed asking if I can recommend and records off this list.

http://www.btinternet.com/~davemct/s...harvest01.html

He says he needs 5 interesting tracks from there and that he knows and likes the Wire - 'I Am The Fly'.

Loads of artists I recognise but not specific tracks so any help would be appreciated!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Here are the ones I&#39;d recommend:

HAR 5077 E.L.O. SHOWDOWN  (the best thing they ever did, top bassline)
    HAR 5123 SAINTS EROTIC NEUROTIC  (underrated Oz punk band, one of whom went on to become Laughing Clowns, another underrated Oz post-punk band)
    HAR 5130 SAINTS THIS PERFECT DAY  (saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon supporting the Jam when they were promoting this single.
    HAR 5148 SAINTS KNOW YOUR PRODUCT  (punk plus brass section, mmm)
    HAR 5151 WIRE I AM THE FLY  
    HAR 5165 SHIRTS TELL ME YOUR PLANS  (new wave ballad, but better than that sounds, saw them at the Roundhouse supporting the Stranglers. God i&#39;m old)
    HAR 5172 WIRE OUTDOOR MINER  (should&#39;ve been a hit, THE best punk era single after Teenage Kicks)
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

018 TURNER Ike &amp; Tina THE HUNTER
      This has got &#39;Bold Soul Sister&#39; on it. A great &#39;Sing A Simple Song&#39; soundalike.
      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

aren&#39;t they just singles? or is that the b-side

Comment

Well I like these:

HAR 5009 BARRETT Syd OCTOPUS
          HAR 5032 BROUGHTON Edgar APACHE DROPOUT
          HAR 5053 E.L.O. 10538 OVERTURE
          HAR 5122 TRINIDAD OIL COMPANY THE CALENDAR SONG
          HAR 5154 LONGHAIR Professor MESS AROUND

but they aint exactly that post punk wire sound - the Broughton one is a contender for the first mash up style record as its a cover of the Shads &quot;Apache&quot; and Beefheart&#39;s &quot;Dropout Boogie&quot; done at the same time
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Almost anything by Wire or Edgar Broughton is great - though &quot;I Am The Fly&quot; and &quot;Out Demons Out&quot; would be my particular favsby each of them.

Avoid anythign by Barclay James Harvest and Bruce Foxton - neither are good at all.

There&#39;s a couple of acts (Kevin Ayers, PIBLOKTO) where their best tracks aren&#39;t singles, though Kevin Ayers &quot;SINGING A SONG IN THE MORNING&quot; is good but &quot;Song From The Bottom of A Well&quot; is really great, creepy stuff.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
            X