Pressing up records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing up records

I'm planning to take the plunge and press up some of my music onto vinyl. manzo already gave me loads of help on this a while back when I was first thinking about it and now I'm definitely taking the plunge I thought I'd pick the brains of the sizeable number of peoples on this board who have already done this.

Any advice, bad experiences, bad pressings, hints, tips & delicious cake recipes would be helpful. I also need some advice on distribution. Danke.

PS The most useful bit of advice gets sloppy seconds.

I used GZ Media for the two Funkydown sevens so far, and didn't have any major problems (only with artwork - my version of Freehand was more up to date than theirs) that couldn't be fixed with a quick email. I always found the people I was emailing to be very helpful, and the pressings were really good, considering they use DMM, and I just sent them a cdr... I'm planning to use them again for the next one ...

Basically, as long as you follow all the details on their site regarding what they need, artwork criteria / media etc, then i don't think you can go far wrong for the price.

If you need specifics drop me a mail - I'm sure I can help out on the distro front too ...

R'Funk
    FunkyDown
    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

if you're going to do your own mastering, then run off copies and listen to your final mix on as many different systems as you can, from car stereos to hi-fi to PA to walkmans. it'll give you a good feel for what you need to fix if there are problems with the mix.

also (people may disagree with this) quite a few guys recommend not having test pressings made. they're pretty expensive and delay the whole process considerably. if your master is good and you tell them to press it loud, you should be ok!
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (theeman @ 15 July 2003,09:00)]if you're going to do your own mastering, then run off copies and listen to your final mix on as many different systems as you can, from car stereos to hi-fi to PA to walkmans. it'll give you a good feel for what you need to fix if there are problems with the mix.

also (people may disagree with this) quite a few guys recommend not having test pressings made. they're pretty expensive and delay the whole process considerably. if your master is good and you tell them to press it loud, you should be ok!
        Good advice on the mastering front - but I'm afraid I'd have to disagree about the test pressings. If you don't get them, and the pressing is in any way faulty, you'll be stuck with alot of records you can't sell - and you'll still have to pay for them. And you can always use the test pressings as promos, or even sell them too, if all is OK. If there's a problem, you've only spent 40 or 50 quid and not 800

Maybe I'm only like this cos the first record I was ever involved in pressing (I wasn't paying though) had 'touching grooves' - basically a fault at the cut, but as I hadn't ordered TP's I had a hell of a job arguing it out with the pressing people ...

Anyway - just my TP two-penneth

R'Funk
        FunkyDown
        Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Dr Rubberfunk @ 15 July 2003,10:22)]
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (theeman @ 15 July 2003,09:00)]
          Good advice on the mastering front - but I'm afraid I'd have to disagree about the test pressings.
          I'd also like to echo this..... from my very sketchy experience of pressings, something like 25% of those we've done have has a problem that we've found at TP stage that needed fixing.

And I know that they are not cheap, but I've never felt that it wasn't worth doing... and it is a nice item to own too
          Matt Hero

Comment

Ive never had test pressings but only because I've always been in a hurry to get things done.

Whatever plant you use - get them to send you a demo piece of vinyl first. The difference in quality from plants is simply staggering.

I recommend liquid mastering if you

a) want a cheap reasonable service.

b) the vinyl is pretty good for the money

You have to spell out EXACTLY what you want them to do as they will mess it up otherwise.

Pressing a record is a bit of a gamble - so many things can go wrong - but selling em isn't too hard.

Unless its a complete stinker then 500 copies will sell no sweat.

I have to say Dr Rubberfunk helped me out BIG style early in - gave me no's of distributors and dropped some very sound advice.

So listen to him and hopefully you'll get it all sorted ok. Good luck matey!
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

just as a side note, if the tracks that you Blighty (and also Towny) have put up on the VV board are anything like as good as the ones you want to release, then you&#39;re onto a winner and will definitely shift them (i really liked the stuff you both did). do it - your tracks are well worthy of it&#33;

Comment

Blighty - are your tracks still available anywhere? the links on the Home Productions board no longer work

Comment

about to press the first 7&quot; here aswell, thinking of using gzcd. rubberfunk what kinda distribution hookups do you have?

Comment

I find it staggering that anyone gets a record pressed without tests made first... All that effort, not mention money, gambled on a little impatience for the end result - crazy.
                    http://wakeupanddie.com
                    http://weirdgearnyc.com
                    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Cheers guys. Loads of helpful stuff there and some much needed confidence boosting too. My internet connection has been down for the last week or two so I&#39;m only just getting a chance to check out some of the websites for these places but GZ looks good and I guess that&#39;s the Czech one that manzo mentioned to me. They seem to have some rep.

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]just as a side note, if the tracks that you Blighty (and also Towny) have put up on the VV board are anything like as good as the ones you want to release, then you&#39;re onto a winner and will definitely shift them (i really liked the stuff you both did). do it - your tracks are well worthy of it&#33;
                      Cheers Ed. I appreciate that very much. It will be two tracks that were up for download. The a-side will be &#39;Phantoms&#39; and I&#39;m putting &#39;While We Slept&#39; on the flip (it&#39;ll be a twelve incher ). &#39;Phantoms&#39; is the first decent thing I finished when I got some proper equipment and it seems to be the most popular thing I&#39;ve done. vibra was (and maybe still is) planning to put it on a 7 Hills comp but I&#39;m getting impatient. You are still very welcome to comp it if you like, Mr C.

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Blighty - are your tracks still available anywhere? the links on the Home Productions board no longer work
                      They were on sermad&#39;s server which seems to be down now. I don&#39;t have any webspace and can&#39;t afford any at the minute but if anyone wants to help me out I&#39;ll happily upload a few tracks somewhere.

Comment

sermad? sermad? are ya there?

if mr buni can&#39;t sort out webspace i&#39;ll happily bung &#39;em on my site. post to the board if you want some space and i&#39;ll email you my address to send a cdr to. if you&#39;ve already got mp3s made up then drop me an instant message and we&#39;ll sort something out.

ta&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ 15 July 2003,18:55)]&#39;Phantoms&#39; is the first decent thing I finished when I got some proper equipment and it seems to be the most popular thing I&#39;ve done. vibra was (and maybe still is) planning to put it on a 7 Hills comp but I&#39;m getting impatient. You are still very welcome to comp it if you like, Mr C.
                          Cheers&#33; As previously mentioned, making records can be a lengthy process, although I can&#39;t deny that it&#39;s particularly slow round this neck of the woods (currently waiting on a 2nd set of TPs for new 45, yawn). That&#39;s why me and the Heroes work so well together, right lads? I was still planning to comp &#39;Phantoms&#39; - top stuff. Check your mail, I&#39;ll send you some info get you up to speed with things.
                          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (vibra @ 15 July 2003,22:53)]Cheers&#33; As previously mentioned, making records can be a lengthy process, although I can&#39;t deny that it&#39;s particularly slow round this neck of the woods (currently waiting on a 2nd set of TPs for new 45, yawn). That&#39;s why me and the Heroes work so well together, right lads?
                            I don&#39;t know what you mean...

Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
                            Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Devil McDOOM @ 15 July 2003,17:21)]about to press the first 7&quot; here aswell, thinking of using gzcd. rubberfunk what kinda distribution hookups do you have?
                              For a run of 7&quot;&#39;s try any one of these guys (in order of which I&#39;ld try first);

Timewarp - 0207 738 9488

Shellshock - 0208 800 8110

Plastichead - 01491 825029

Cargo - 0207 731 5125

Soul Trader - 0207 498 0732

You could try SRD (0208 802 3000), but they&#39;re really more dedicated to House and DnB, on the dance front, at any rate.

The bigger companies like 3mv, Pinnacle and Vital are not worth trying unless you have a solid business plan worked out, as in many future releases. And besides, they may not be the best option for you at any rate. For example, Tru Thoughts use 3mv.

Hopefully, of use to ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X