Herbie hancock got the ska touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbie hancock got the ska touch

OK, just gotta give a shout to a tune that I bagged today!
    It's probally fairly well known to some of you but a new one on me.
    I traded a rare LP JA lp for a few 45's, and the one im telling of is a reggie / ska vers. of Canelope Island, entitled "Cantelope Rock". God Damm fucking ace. Check for it on the Dr.Bird lable.
    Any how, can tell of the others that I managed to pocket, that's on the down low!!
    Oh yeah... This week i replaced my 80's french copy of Rotary Connections "Hey Love" with a proper US one. When I got it many years back I was only realy bothered 'bout 'Blackgold of the Sun', but whilst decorating blasted the entire LP out, can't get the thing off the turntable. It's so good! Any other tales of such short sightedness, ie. rediscovering a "1 trick pony" as an all time loved to death LP. Ther must be loads on my shelf! Play the 'B' sides as they used to say!
    Peace & all that hair grease! Boney
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Cantelope Rock sounds cool Boney.

Isn't that killer crossover soul track by Glenn Miller (where is the love I think?) on Doctor Bird? I've been on the look out for that for ages, but no joy...

Yep I've always been terrible for missing b-sides and stuff like that. People like Towny always school me on great LP tracks I've missed whenever he comes round mine (not lately I know, but he does live a couple of hundred miles away now)
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Yo Mr. Elephant... The Glen Miller is the one, how hard is that record to find!! Big Reggae geezers up my way have no joy, last heard it was aprox £250.00.

Must dash... on another tip found a copy of a Cirle of Sound LP in the garage that I got a while ago, Nick Ingham 'Love Themes' or something, any one want it?
      Let us know.
      Im out of here...

Comment

I've got the Glen Miller 45 - I picked it up a few years ago in Portobello market. It only cost me a tenner but I nearly had to resort to fisticuffs to dissuade a very keen Japanese gentleman who was offering the guy on the market stall more and more money while I was listening to it. Luckily the market chap in question was a man of integrity and refused to be swayed by the ever-increasing amounts of wonga being waved at him. Makes you proud...etc. Anyway, mine will be on the move shortly as a northern guy I know just outside Bristol really really REALLY wants it, and always has some nice funky bits to trade
        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Whats the B side like John?

I recall it's a version of Funky Broadway, but I've never heard it.
          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Nick Ingman -Love themes sounds interesting. What do you want for it?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ 17 July 2003,08:03)]Whats the B side like John?

I recall it's a version of Funky Broadway, but I've never heard it.
              great - jamaican funk version with a nice break. that's the reason I bought the 45 in the first place.
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ 17 July 2003,00:16)]Yo Mr. Elephant... The Glen Miller is the one, how hard is that record to find!! Big Reggae geezers up my way have no joy, last heard it was aprox £250.00.
                ..northern dealer henry atkinson had a copy for sale a while back - he wanted £450 for it.

...there is however a more affordable option. it's on a trojan lp "work your soul" which is about on vinyl at the moment.
                Endless Tripe

Comment

Funky Tee...
                  The Nick Ingham LP aint CoS, it's a German Polydor Delux LP.
                  I got it confused, have CoS Flutes & Fugels + The Laugh Laugh one. Not bothered 'bout them. Swap wise ? what you have. I not bothered bout any UK easy stuff really.
                  Cheers my man, Boney!

Comment

Gettin' a bit confused...
                    There are 2 Nick Ingham LP's. One is CoS & it's called The Love Album.
                    The other is Nick Ingham Orchestra & Chorus Love Themes - German Polydor.
                    Ill give them another listen to see if i want to keep them.

Comment

slightly on topic, is anyone familiar with the Joyella Blade 'Cairo' 45 on Virgin !?!

its got a skanking rhythm, positive I've heard it in a few tunes over the years .. got my copy from a bookshop in Munich & was well chuffed when I finally got to give it a listen some 20000 miles and three weeks later

Comment

Working...
                      X