Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mundayschild
    replied
    Sadly, I have yet to get myself a DJing gig anywhere. It seems that the ole addage, 'it's not what you know but who you know' holds true. Got any tips on how to land myself a regular DJing spot. Mixtapes? CD's?

Yes son, (picture rubbin' hands together in glee&#33 now it just so 'appens that my uncle fookin' Roy owns a fine fookin' establishment/hostellry/pub in the norhern fookin' area of 't fookin' country,
    to which you are most welcome to come along with you're rekkids whereby for a small fookin' fee, (arranged through nanna, who'll positively gob ooot her fookin' falsies at the prospect of some hot young buck struttin' her way, i might add!&#33 you could be "Cock 'o' the North" behind 't one's 'an two's, birng yer most fookin' pant swinging essential tunes ('an a little somethin' fer the ladies-they tend to like John fookin' Denver or some such fookin' shite like that&#33 an i promise i'll be there doin' me Lee Evans/Freddie Fookin' Starr
    dance moves, the one's that always get the chick's worked oop into a right fookin' lather!.
    Tell you what you could even buy me a few fookin' bevvies for the privelidge 'o' settin you up wi' yer first gig, includin' all 't fookin' pork scratchin's yer can shovell down the 'ol fookin' Gregory Peck, ow's that sound? fookin champion lad!.

Leave a comment:

• formigo
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mech1 @ 20 July 2003,19:16)]My friend's brother has a weekly DJing gig at some local bar and it's pretty much anything goes. Anyway, it was 80's nite not too long ago and he ended up dropping Paul Hardcastle's '19' in his set....I guess some chic was so excited about it that she actually tipped him. How's that for appreciation?

Sadly, I have yet to get myself a DJing gig anywhere. It seems that the ole addage, 'it's not what you know but who you know' holds true. Got any tips on how to land myself a regular DJing spot. Mixtapes? CD's?
    Make lots of friends.

Eventually, one of them will buy a bar, or start managing a bar, or perhaps an enormous outdoor summer festival, and when they start thinking about the music their thoughts will wander naturally to yourself.

Also, one of your other "more useless" mates can probably print up your flyers on the cheap or something so don't abandon all your little pawns, uh friends as soon as you've got that big residency you were after.

(Okay, this post is stupid but it's pretty much how things have panned out for me.)

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian Elephant
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ 21 July 2003,21:21)]Stupid, moi? Well, I've had a few unguarded moments & been Mr Divine's James Brown fool once ot twice (as I'm sure we all have). Example? Well, I do remember a mate was playing the Beefheart/Zappa 'Bongo Fury' LP & I listened for a bit, then pronounced (with the authority than can only come of bluffing madly) "I prefer Beefheart, myself" - of course, during one of the Beefheart tracks... There are many more, but I'm not telling till the rest of you put up your own faux pas where we can see them... And grooving off to Bananarama remix on a very exposed dancefloor because I was under the impression it was Prince until halfway through? Nope, that never happened. Honest.
    Hmm, as a callow youth I purchased a pair of black wrangler jeans as I thought Chuck D said in Rebel Without A Pause "we wear black wranglers" when of course it was "we WERE black wranglers"

ahem

Leave a comment:

• mundayschild
    replied
    i'm feelin' a bit sad,'cos i saw that fookin' documentary on 'our' 80's shite hero, Adam Ant a few days back, the poor fooker's madder than my fookin' nan who's already lost 'er fookin' marbles! (she has te double check with me to find ooot who the fook i am when i visit, it's tragic i tell thee&#33 'an he's put on a few fookin' stone 'an all, no swingin from fookin' chandaliers for you mr Adam of fookin' ant!!

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Stupid, moi? Well, I've had a few unguarded moments & been Mr Divine's James Brown fool once ot twice (as I'm sure we all have). Example? Well, I do remember a mate was playing the Beefheart/Zappa 'Bongo Fury' LP & I listened for a bit, then pronounced (with the authority than can only come of bluffing madly) "I prefer Beefheart, myself" - of course, during one of the Beefheart tracks... There are many more, but I'm not telling till the rest of you put up your own faux pas where we can see them... And grooving off to Bananarama remix on a very exposed dancefloor because I was under the impression it was Prince until halfway through? Nope, that never happened. Honest.

Leave a comment:

• mundayschild
    replied
    yeah, 'an i'm at the top of the pile!!

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian Elephant
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jack @ 21 July 2003,19:51)]Like I always say, people are basically stupid
    However, that includes us lot too....

Leave a comment:

• mundayschild
    replied
    yeh, but hey man it's all fookin' good!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Like I always say, people are basically stupid

Leave a comment:

• Dr Rubberfunk
    replied
    I'm saving them all for a book called 'Can You Play Something Good?'

Chapter 1 - 'This hip-hop is wicked mate, but don't you ever feel like playing some really thumping techno?'

Well, actually I had been ...

'Actually I have been - just now - Derrick May yeah? I saw you dancing ... '

The blank look he returned was all too familiar....

____

read the rest when it's released in hardback in 2033.

(that was the nearest I could find to a white haired old DJ icon - I suppose it does look a bit like Jimmy Saville if you squint)

Leave a comment:

• mundayschild
    replied
    Forgot to mention that Big Dave now no longer works at the afore mentioned establishment, due to the fact that he left to persue a 'career' in fookin' showbiz, the daft big fooker only tried to audition for the new film but unfortunately on application he was informed that in fact the would be "a computer generated model" he, understandably was slightly peeved 'an the big fooker's pea sized brain worked itself into a fookin' frenzy 'an 'ee proceeded to rip into 'an i quote, "fookin' girly fookin' compooter fookin' slag bastaaaad fookin' bollocky foookin' wank bastaads don't know what the fookin' ell there a bunch 'o' fookin' faggotty squaddy faggots" during all this tho' i stayed fookin' shtum' as a few 'o' me mates wi me (who know full well that i dabble with computers and other fookin' girly persuit's) were ictchin' to say summat to Big Dave about me, luckily my terrified look's towards them seemed to have the desired effect 'an another fookin' embarrasin' night in casualty was swiftly averted!. after that little outburst, Big Dave left 'an we never saw 'im again we bid 'im fond farewell wi' fookin' tears in 'us eye's,'an truth be told we kinda missed the daft big fooker!. month;'s later one 'o' the lad's came back from a drink 'n' bonk holiday in fookin' Ibiza 'an tell's us he'd been lordin' it oop in fookin' Manumission,
    now i know they let any old fookin' knobcheese and riff raff in there of a night, but the fookin' scary bit was "aye 'an fookin guess who's on 't' fookin' door?-PAUSE- Big fookin' Dave ". Apparently with a fookin' tan like he'd bin' dipped in fookin' creosote an drippin' in the most fookin horrendous gold jewlery!!!, foookin' elll proper fookin' bo i reckon. Big Dave this shout go's 'oot to you mate Viva e fookin' spania, heh heh
    look 'oot if you go to Manu fookin' mission the big fooker on the door could be my mate 'Big Dave'.

Leave a comment:

• mundayschild
    replied
    TSK! tips!, from birds too! eh? what the fook's that all about then?, the only tip's i got when playin' rekkids were "clear yer fookin' mess oop after" and "nay fookin' drinks near 't' lectric"
    never worked that one out and the best one "when big fookin' Dave starts chookin' oot those fookin' squaddies, dive straight for 't' fookin' exit lad!" beleive me these are true.
    Big Dave was a right big 'fooker tho' 'an no mistake, the bugger looked like a cross 'tween George fookin' Hamilton the third an fookin' Frankenstein.

Leave a comment:

• TOWNY
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ 20 July 2003,21:02)]The "mythical" record you are enquiring about is "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. Every DJ box should have a copy in a glass box with "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY' on the front... Are there any serious deep funk cover versions? Loads of Sly Stone, James Brown etc. got covered, but Blooblo is the only "heavy" version I've heard. Hmmm, separate thread perhaps.
    Agree on the superstition, also would like to add (for the type of places we are talking about here) -

Chic - Good times
    Sister sledge - Thinking of you

God bless ya Bernard !

Lyn collins - Think

If they don't make anyone dance or at least put a smile on folks faces ........................show me the door

Leave a comment:

• Mr Divine
    replied
    Having held down a 13 year weekly residence (something I'm still not sure whether to be immensely proud or ashamed of...), I feel like I've experienced every stupid question going. I thought the "Can you play some funk?" while playing James Brown "Get On The Good Foot" was bad. Until another week someone asked "Can you play some James Brown?" while I was PLAYING James Brown!

The "mythical" record you are enquiring about is "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. Every DJ box should have a copy in a glass box with "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY' on the front... Are there any serious deep funk cover versions? Loads of Sly Stone, James Brown etc. got covered, but Blooblo is the only "heavy" version I've heard. Hmmm, separate thread perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• mech1
    replied
    My friend's brother has a weekly DJing gig at some local bar and it's pretty much anything goes. Anyway, it was 80's nite not too long ago and he ended up dropping Paul Hardcastle's '19' in his set....I guess some chic was so excited about it that she actually tipped him. How's that for appreciation?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X