Here today, gone tommorow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here today, gone tommorow....

There is a similar thread going on over at Soul Strut at the moment, but hey... we can copy right ?

I've had a few conversations on this subject recently with other VVs, ie - are the once common charity shop LPs getting harder to find ? Are last years 'easy to find for a quid' LPs going to be collectable in the future ?

I'm not talking about serious heat that you might find for cheap somewhere, but of your Harry Stoneham, Stereo Gold Award, Shirley Bassey etc

Am I alone in 'stockpiling' multiples of some of these cheapies in the hope that they might be more tradeable in a few years ?
    Matt Hero

Was The Hanged Man not a charity shop special for years? Purple Fox plays Jimi Hendrix?
    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

i'd agree with Matt...some things just dont seem to have turned up this year like previous- the one that springs to my mind is the yellow Big Jim H...not seen one about for over a year and used to find it everywhere...Old Shirl is still around and about though, and NO shop will take one in trade nowadays...and i must have passed by at least 5 copies of Law Beat this year

i tend to just not bother buying them...i'd like to think someone else of similar taste would happen upon them and enjoy them as much as i do...more than likey though some black-hearted ebay mega-seller will scoop 'em up and flog em to unsuspecting yanks for too much...but i'd rather look on the bright side.

anyhoo, as to why certain records are not abundend for pence...well...gran can only die once...this stuff will come roaring back in 30 years time when we all start shuffling off!

Comment

The hanged man has hit its peak with regards to price. I saw one cheeky get trying to sell it for 75 sheets!!

Every few weeks I would kick up a couple of copies of coulham's 'hammond stereo sounds to spoil you'. Now I don't see any. I gave so many copies of this away!

Ive always found vinyl vulture type records really hard to find - Phase 4's, circle of sounds, studio2's, contours etc are all becoming really elusive. Even the crap ones are not seen that often - except james last and geoff love of course!

My personal belief is that the more common uk disco 12's will take a hike. Ive noticed the Japanese buying a lot of these recently.

I think a lot of things from the late 70's/early 80's will really pick up. Reggae/Rocksteady 12's and possibly even things like Human League and so on.

I think its an time of great musical contrasts which a lot of younger people (like myself) dont understand and once they get a bit of schooling they really love it - Take a certain ratio as the classic example.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

i&#39;ve had a lot of foreign guys ask for copies of Stereo Gold Award stuff - it&#39;s got a rep in the US and Europe, plus Australia (Florian Keller even playlists an SGA LP). i never see them at boot fairs any more, and haven&#39;t bought one in a charity for years.

usually collecting goes in roughly 30 year cycles (it&#39;s the same dynamic from stamps to model trains to records). so for future collectables, i&#39;d agree with Sermad - UK soul/funk/disco 12s (lots of killer mixes or LP tracks that only came out here), maybe 80s funk, go-go (some good UK pressings of rare or otherwise unissued stuff), British jazz from the mid-late 80s (small UK labels, tiny pressings, quality music - Django Bates, Iain Ballamy, Earthworks, Jason Rebello etc etc...)... maybe US jazz-funk-rock like the M-Base movement (Greg Osby, Steve Coleman etc)...

maybe New Romantic stuff, who knows? but i reckon that&#39;ll be more a VV-style ironic pick than a hardcore collector area...

i&#39;m hoping it&#39;ll be Max Bygraves records to be honest
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

yeah, Hanged Man was a charity staple once, same with Johnny Harris - Movements... apparently it turned up at every boot fair for a long long time... Roy Budd records too... a well-known OST dealer had a whole box of Diamonds that he could never shift for well over 20 years&#33;

hammond organ charity records are now really tough to find anywhere in the south east, boot fair or charity... stoneham, coulham etc, it&#39;s all gone&#33;

for the first time at my local booter some hip-hop collector turned up who knows his breaks, and he was straight into the UK cheese funk with a vengeance...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]Every few weeks I would kick up a couple of copies of coulham&#39;s &#39;hammond stereo sounds to spoil you&#39;. Now I don&#39;t see any. I gave so many copies of this away&#33;
              Totally agree with Serm on this one - I used to see it more or less every week, this year I&#39;ve found one copy&#33;
              As for the Big Jim SGA&#39;s I still see loads of them up here, in fact I stopped picking them up as I had so many spares it was getting silly - perhaps I should revise this tactic&#33;

But do you not find that you get gluts of a certain record? For example I picked up four copies of &quot;Big Terror Movies&quot; in a two week period and three &quot;Two Generations&quot; in a month but I&#39;ve not come accross either of them since (in Edinburgh and in the course of my travels) - weird&#33;

As for what&#39;s next, for me it bling Stag time - no idea&#33;
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (theeman @ 21 July 2003,14:17)].....Earthworks, Jason Rebello etc etc...)... maybe US jazz-funk-rock like the M-Base movement (Greg Osby, Steve Coleman etc)...
                That&#39;s assuming that actually anybody likes their stuff&#33;&#33;&#33;

Greg Osby is particularly whiffy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]bling Stag time
                  That should, of course, be BLIND stag or else the &quot;joke&quot; doesn&#39;t really work. Having said that a deer strutting around covered in all the bling is an amusing thought.
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Belson @ 21 July 2003,14:34)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (theeman @ 21 July 2003,14:17)].....Earthworks, Jason Rebello etc etc...)... maybe US jazz-funk-rock like the M-Base movement (Greg Osby, Steve Coleman etc)...
                    That&#39;s assuming that actually anybody likes their stuff&#33;&#33;&#33;

Greg Osby is particularly whiffy IMO.
                    mate, you and i are waaaaay too old to get hip to it in 20 years time

Comment

I still see the majority of the stuff thats been mentioned already on fairly regular occasions. To be honest there are only a few bits i would pick up i.e. Dianne and the new worlds, Purple fox, Sight &amp; sound, Voodoo party, Birds &#39;n Brass etc.

The majority if SGA&#39;s i just leave cos they just seem to show and show.

However the one thing i don&#39;t see hardly ever are the decent or half decent Studio 2&#39;s/Lansdownes, these seem to have dryed up since way back when the Sound Gallery comps dropped.
                      SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

I suppose it depends what we mean by collectable - if we mean likely to see prices rise, I&#39;d guess that&#39;ll happen to a degree as charities/booters get cleared, but at some point the rise in value will see the market flooded, and so prices will fall again...and so it&#39;ll go. As far as actual undervalued rareities go, I suppose it&#39;d be labels like On-U Sound, stuff from the Damaged Goods/Medway stable, maybe labels like Mike Always&#39; el records (aren&#39;t the Japanese already on that one fairly big-time, though? Sermad??) and the kind of lesser-known Factory/c86/Blast First/Mute kinds of stuff... As for the rest, I guess if vinyl continues to be of interest as a medium, new LPs on vinyl (usually in limited quantities), or some of the scarcer reissues (on labels like Arkama) will rise in value, too, as the copies sell out of the standard shops. Quirky labels like Trunk &amp; Twisted Nerve, too... But that always assumes collectors will be after the same kinds of things as they are now: who&#39;d have predicted back in 1977 that disco &amp; easy would&#39;ve been such big collecting areas? Maybe it&#39;ll be failed manufactured pop bands &amp; nu-metal demos on cd-r...
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

The reason I was thinking of this was a brief conversation with a store owner that Rich and I had a couple of months back.

Rich picked up an LP by a very cheesy artist for a couple of quid and the dealer in question suggested that while he carries &#39;...that kind of stuff...&#39; the majority of dealers and shop owners that he knows don&#39;t touch it.

I got a fair amount of my first decent easy LPs from a loca dealer here, who used to punt them on to me for a quid a piece (or less) because there &#39;...isn&#39;t any demand..&#39; and frankly he was embarrased to have it in the shop.
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Oh, was that Golden Grooves? What I&#39;d say is that I&#39;ve never been too proud to pay slightly more than received wisdom would suggest is the going rate to get many of my UK easy LP&#39;s. Some people see them regularly for pence but there&#39;s plenty of supposed sureties that I&#39;ve never yet seen in the wild and I haven&#39;t regretted spending the money in the majority of cases. So it&#39;s all my fault, market forces and all that.

(And tidy little haul this weekend Matt ).
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I think its happened already (or happening now) for all those little 7&quot; funk/cut n paste things like breakin bread, puma strut, timmion, memphix etc. Well worth investigating.

One thing I do buy which I don&#39;t always like are hardcore records. Its VERY easy to get up on the ones to look for and I&#39;ve had a lot of good luck with these. Perfect to stash for a rainy day and I think it will always be sought after.

Electro is something I&#39;m trying to get more info about - I&#39;m thinking more on the lines of clear records, Jedi Knights, Tusken Raiders, Black Dog etc. I see some of their bits around and some of it is incredible. I know a of a few things that go for an arm and a leg on ebay - specially the jedi knights and tusken raiders. So be on the lookout for that.

Mo wax (earlier the better) and especially DJ Shadow pieces are always worth getting. The first In/Flux issue, Headz lp, Jazz Hip Jap, unkle picture discs all sell well. If you need info on this then I really am the man to speak too.

One thing that won&#39;t be worth as much in the future...Library records&#33; The bottom has well and truly fallen outta that barrel&#33; Apart from the big few records these are dead.
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X