Offensive records...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive records...

Are there any records you wouldn't play out or buy? I mean, aside from the music, I don't think any of us would want a record by Skrewdriver but what about something like 'Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down'? Has anyone ever taken offence to anything you DJ types have played?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Dunno about that, exactly, but I do have a very fond memory of cultural misunderstanding when I saw Trouble Funk finish a set with 'Drop the Bomb' at Glastonbury in '86 or '87 to a crowd of CND supporters - didn't go down too well, really...

Proving the opposite, though, was the very surreal moment in a Nottingham Poundland the other week, when the old bids were picking up dusters and cheap chocs while the store PA boomed out hardcore gangsta rap full of crack/uzis/hos/and mo'fo's and not a soul batted an eyelid...

Go figure that one out!
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Oh yeah.......I've got a good one for ya.

I was playing Oneness of Juju 'African Rhythms', and this guy comes steaming over at a rate of knots, and demands that I take the record off immediately. I joked with the fella, but no, he was deathly serious.

'If you don't take this record off right now, then I'll break it off now'.

Seeing the guy was in a bit of a rage, I decided to comply - well with a slow fade out about a minute later.

Feeling slightly abused as a DJ, I asked him why the panic.

'That record', he said 'is a tribute to Voodoo and the ways of devil worship. I will not have it played in my club - D'YA HEAR!!'

OK, mush - whatever you say.........just as long as I get my wonga.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 21 July 2003,16:03)]I don't think any of us would want a record by Skrewdriver
        Not forgetting that Skrewdriver were not always a Neo Nazi outfit, and indeed once sported one Mark Radcliffe amongst their lineup.
        Matt Hero

Comment

There's a few things that I wouldn't play at some of my bar gigs, but certainly would at other nights - stuff like Devil's Son or Pazuzu, off Exorcist II - but then again, I'm probably being too sensitive. Do you reckon the crowd can actually pick out a lot of the words from the usual din in a busy bar? Bass lines etc fine, but lyrics? Apart from the 'N' word I guess...

Anyhow, my favourite dodgy tune has to be the Golden Toadstool's Silly Savage - bunch of crackers taking the piss out of them chitlin circuit style party tunes... but put to postive use on funk nights - there's irony for yer...

http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 21 July 2003,16:26)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 21 July 2003,16:03)]I don't think any of us would want a record by Skrewdriver
            Not forgetting that Skrewdriver were not always a Neo Nazi outfit, and indeed once sported one Mark Radcliffe amongst their lineup.
            Skrewdriver were a regular punk band at one stage. I've got their first single. They were pretty hot, too.

On another note, I played a deep house record at Fabric last year which had an effective Eastern-sounding vocal on it. It always went over very well. Anyhow, a young Asian girl came up to me after i'd played it and told me it was a muezzin's call to prayer and it was extremewly bad form to be playing such inappropriate music in a club. I've not played it since.
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Originally posted by [b
              i'm not a 100% sure but i think the skrewdriver that mark radcliffe was in was a different one to the neo nazi band, i'll check his book and report back tomorrow.
              I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

A good one fer me was when i dropped OI! BONDAGE UP YOURS! by the immitable X Ray Spex at me aunt Edna's 80'th birthday party i was only 13 at the time but i'll never forget the look on the faces of edna's poor fookin' mates the poor fookin' purple rinse brigade), one particularly frail 'ol love had te fookin break it fer the bog double fookin' quick style, as the poor bugger unbeknownst to me had a Colostomy bag fitted, which proceeded to burst with the vibration and proximity of the extreem fookin' volume fookin' ell me auld fella gave me a right fokin lashin' fer that one, 'an i couldn't fookin' sit down fer two, Count em! two fookin' days!!!, not to mention the weeks 'o' deducted pocket money fer damage to several hearin' aid's ooooopps!.
                lush!
                derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (happy monster @ 21 July 2003,20:12)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Originally posted by [b
                  i'm not a 100% sure but i think the skrewdriver that mark radcliffe was in was a different one to the neo nazi band, i'll check his book and report back tomorrow.
                  your right matt, i bow down to your superior knowledge.
                  I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (happy monster @ 21 July 2003,20:30)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (happy monster @ 21 July 2003,20:12)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Originally posted by [b
                    your right matt, i bow down to your superior knowledge.
                    Ah-ha ! My memory is better than I thought Now, where are my keys....

His book is recommended by the way. I borrowed it from Manzo and read it on the train back from a weekend in Edinburgh (9 hour journey) and was laughing so much out load that people thought I was a nutter and I got a double table seat to myself all the way home.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
                      Are there any records you wouldn't play out or buy? I mean, aside from the music, I don't think any of us would want a record by Skrewdriver but what about something like 'Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down'? Has anyone ever taken offence to anything you DJ types have played?

I have the first Skrewdriver LP, .

They didn't turn nazi until after that release. Or rather Ian Stuart did. The others quit in protest (however at least one of the former members also later joined the National Front). Ian found new members and continued in a nazi tradition.

I wouldn't play it out anyway, because I'd be in trouble if someone saw the sleeve. Drunk punks usually don't listen to explanations. I know of some sharp skins that have no problem with their early material though... one of which expressed jealousy at me picking it up. Met him on the way from the record store, he was on his way to buy it.
                      Last edited by Brainbomb; 11-12-2009, 09:11 AM.
                      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

If anyone has a copy of this that they find too offensive I'll have it, out of curiousity
                        Attached Files
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

I have some pretty offensive stuff down here in my cellar,
                          but I suppose one man's filth is another man's gold
                          A few discs that come to mind which I have played out and
                          seen or heard shocked reactions to would include a track on a
                          double LP by a Brighton artist going by the name of Trash.
                          He (I always assumed it was a he!) sent me his record direct thru
                          the post so I dunno if it was ever released but it has one very cheeky
                          track which mixes samples from Monty Python from 'Meaning Of Life'
                          with Ian Dury's 'Plaistow Patricia' and builds to a crecendo with an almighty "C*NT!!!"
                          always a crowd pleaser

There is also a 12" by a Milton Keynes 80's electro band called Shock Corridor
                          which has a spoken word sample of a young girl saying "take me to your big
                          house in the wild woods, you can take advantage of my childhood. Put your
                          hands beneath my dress, there you'll find my lovers nest",
                          which upset
                          several folks last time I played it out on air.

I still have a letter from my programme controller in the mid 90's
                          warning me if I ever played tracks from the Xaviera Hollander's 'Happy Hooker'
                          album again I would be taken off air permanently! but it never really stopped me, to be honest.
                          Last edited by Head Gardener; 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM.
                          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I was playing Pyar Karne Wale once and someone came up to me and asked me to take it off. I replied that I would take it off after it had finished without realising what that meant (I thought I was complying with his request).

I played the Rita song once as part as a "Sex" mini-set and whilst not offensive it made me feel quite uncomfortable.
                            Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Remember that Dutch girl Rich?
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                              X