Prague?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prague?

I'm going there at the weekend. Any tips? I heard there was a shop called Disco Duck. Any others?
    http://www.djhistory.com

i've always had little luck in pargue - it's been a real disappointment for vinyl.

this one was OK: far end of charles bridge, away from the main part of the city centre at the bottom of the hill in the old town. about 50 yards from the end of the bridge on the right is a little passage between two houses - there's a sign above the entrance. walk through and there's a decent sized shop that's best for weird prog and psych, with some soul and black music. they have another branch in an indoor market in the centre of the town not far from wenceslas square. prices are good but quality is low.

search on soulstrut - there are a couple of good posts about prague...
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

That is the reply I posted one year ago on Soulstrut.com:
      "Well Prague is no more what it was for records. I don't think that it's still possible to dig plenty of cool records there.
      The e-man gave you the two best shops there. The second one is in a shops gallery on Narodni street just in front of the Reduta jazz club, just can't miss it...
      You should also check a book/record shop on Vinohradska street (in front of the Jinho z Podebrad metro station).
      There's another one at Vltavska station on Bubenska street (5 minutes walk from the station). Ask the dealer, all his records are not in the crates.
      YOu should also enter the antics shops in the city center, they sometime have records.
      About Slovakia, I only know Bratislava which is for me the worst digging spot in eastern europe. No record shops around exept CDs.
      In Czech Rep. and Slovakia, I think that the best thing to do is to dig records in the other main cities which are less touristic. Plzen, Ceske Budjovice or Karlovy Vary are surely good."

Prague was not cool for records two years ago, it has no chance to be better now. Anyway, it's a gorgeous city.
      The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
      Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Yeah......ditch the digging and go and do some sightseeing.

Prague is one beautiful place.

Far more rewarding than the nibbles you might find in a secluded store.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Belson @ 24 July 2003,09:04)]Yeah......ditch the digging and go and do some sightseeing.

Prague is one beautiful place.

Far more rewarding than the nibbles you might find in a secluded store.
          Yeah, well it is my wedding anniversary!

Comment

Planman's assessment for my trip last year was pretty spot-on I'm afraid, and especially seeing as I was trying to dig during the worst flooding they'd seen for 200 years - I couldn't gain access to the rekkid stores bcoz they were underwater!!! Bloody weather.. tsk. I did get to go here tho:

"You should also check a book/record shop on Vinohradska street (in front of the Jinho z Podebrad metro station)."

I enjoyed looking through here - bizarrely turned up a copy of ol' Shirl's 'Something' with a sticker from a Bristol emporium on the back.. John?!!

Bagged a couple of nice jazz/fusion LPs, there were quite a lot of 70s rock LPs and they had a jolly good selection of Supraphon and other Czech label 45s too. Worth a look IMO.. or maybe it was just bcoz I was so glad to get my hands on any damn vinyl in the end!!
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Oh yeah and without a doubt the most beautiful city I've ever seen.. would go back any day of the week.   Preferably in somewhat less wet circumstances...
              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

ladyboygrimsby, let us know how you get on. Off to Prague myself in a couple of weeks.

Have a good one.
                records - one a week mixcloud
                records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Haven't got time to post fully yet, since I'm out all day, but Prague was beautiful, leaving aside the thousands of middle-aged moustachioed Germans there to see the Rolling Stones. Couldn't find the shop E-Man recommended, but stumbled on another one not mentioned here. It was FANTASTIC! I spent three hours in there and still didn't manage to get through everything. Came away with about 40 records, nothing more than a fiver and the majority for 2 quid or less, including Michael Bundt's Just Landed Cosmic Kid and Water & Power on Buddah (collectable soul record). Will detail more later.

Comment

Nice 1 LBG, especially after all the downers on Prague

Just shows that you have to forge your own path in this digging world I would be well pleased to dig up a Michael Bundt and a Water & Power alone
                    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Here you go (most of them cost one or two quid, a few cost four and one cost a fiver):

ALBUMS
                      Tony Wilson – I Like Your Style (inc. killer funky Can’t Leave It Alone/The Politician)
                      Black Blood – Amanda
                      The Originals – Communiqué (inc. Down To Love Town/Mr Troublemaker)
                      Santana – Welcome (inc. When I Look Into Your Eyes)
                      Shuggie Otis – Freedom Flight (completes my Shuggie collection)
                      Joe Cocker – Something To Say (inc. Woman To Woman)
                      Jose Feliciano – Sweet Soul Music (prod. Barry Beckett/Jerry Wexler and inc funky Balearic Marguerita)
                      The Intruders – Energy Of Love
                      Etta James – Changes (prod. Allen Toussaint, inc good version of Night People)
                      Jan Akkerman/Kaz Lux – s/t (inc. dope Krautrock-sounding Guardian Angel) (double)
                      Laura Lee – Women’s Love Rights
                      Bohannon – Too Hot To Hold
                      The Great Disco Bouzouki Band – s/t (prod. By Kluger/Vangarde, crap apart from passable funky comedy Ouzo & Retsina)
                      Bohannon – Summertime Groove (inc. Let’s Start The Dance/Me & The Gang)
                      Michael Bundt – Just Landed Cosmic Kid (inc The Brains Of Oskar Panizza)
                      Lime – Your Love (when will I learn that Lime only ever made one good tune?)
                      Tavares – Sky High (inc Moogy Ridin’ High and Sermad favourite Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel)
                      Emotions – Sunshine (prod. Muscle Shoals but v. disappointing)
                      Peaches & Herb – Worth The Wait (ditto)
                      Water & Power – s/t (inc. Mr Weatherman; one I've seen on lists for 40 quid plus)
                      Tony Wilson – Catch One (inc. funky disco Try Love)
                      Savoy Brown – A Hard Way To Go (inc That Same Feeling)
                      Alex – s/t (Norwegian disco shocker! Inc. Asha Puthli-sounding Flying High)
                      Wilson Pickett – Chocolate Mountain (EEC Vinyl Mountain, more like: rubbish)
                      Jonathan – Jonathan (bonkers Krautrock, on Mark Res’s list for 50 notes)
                      Ashra – Correlations
                      Four Tops – Catfish (inc. Strung Out For Your Love and perhaps the only disco record ever devoted to eating fried fish and dancing to disco: Catfish. A Grimsby kind of record&#33
                      Gary’s Gang – Gangbusters (inc. Harvey favourite Spirits on otherwise terrible album) (double)

12-INCHES
                      Material – Time Out (rubbish)
                      Methusalem – Robotism (brilliant Euro disco obscurity championed by Danny Wang) (double)
                      Joan Armatrading – Kind Words (Garage classic&#33
                      Kenneth Sherman – Why Can’t We Live Together (ace Balearic disco version) (double)
                      NV – It’s Alright (Shep Pettibone mix)

Comment

And where exactly is this shop in Prague, if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

Music Antiquariat, Narodni 25, Palac Metro, 1. patro - 1 floor.

Go down Narodni and look for a giant Tescos! Across the road, a little nearer to the river, there's a passageway with a KFC (God bless capitalism) to the right. The entrance is just past there. Go up a set of stairs to the first floor. This is where Music Antiquariat is.

Comment

Thank you ladyboygrimsby. I shall do my best to check the place out

Comment

opposite the giant tesco, in the indoor shopping centre, on the first floor? big shop with two rooms, counter on the left as you go in, two young women behind the counter, box of 45's
                              -mostly 50's white rock'n'roll - on the counter? posters and Scorpions picture discs on the wall, big browser in the middle of the main room full of early 80's big hair metal? sounds like the store I was in in February - I only spent half an hour in there (while getting my girlfriend migraine tablets from the giant Tesco opposite), but I gave up - it seemed like there wasn't a record in there from earlier than the mid-80's (apart from the 45's on the counter). I couldn't find a single record in there I wanted - which shows that either a) I was very unlucky or b) you're a lot deeper than me and I still can't get over my dislike of what I still see as 'cheesy disco' (though I would have had the Shuggie and Jonathan like a shot - I wouldn't have touched the Lime, Peaches and Herb, Emotions, Garys Gang, Tavares, Wilson Pickett, Alex, Bohannon, Four Tops...). What I did find strange about that store was the almost complete lack of any eastern european music earlier than the 80's - maybe that's all been cleared out by now. Although I've only been to a very few places in central Europe, Prague seemed very dry compared to the others - Warsaw, Budapest, Belgrade, Brno - and that's what I found so disappointing. Apart from records though, lovely city!
                              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Working...
                              X