A modest haul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A modest haul

i don't normally go in for these "look what i found yesterday" posts but there's been a lot of despondency round here lately about the supply of records in charities so i thought i'd share the following...

I had to travel up to a meeting in the midlands yesterday, on my way back to get my train i had a quick butcher's in an oxfam and found the following (all 7"s)

Mista Charge: "The taste of love" Fantastic UK - produced funk / disco from 1976. Produced and arranged by the unsung Ian Green with great, soulful vocals by his wife, Rosetta Hightower (formerly of 60s Philly group the Orlons). B- side has two other nice funky tracks , too. A really distinctive record. Anyone else know this?

Robert Upchurch "The Devil Made Me Do It" Great record on UK PIR from 1974. This can't be an easy one to find these days?

Sam Nesbit "Keep On Hustlin' Baby" Uptempo mid 70s soul - nice. On Dave Godin's Right On label, I know about three others on the label but never heard of this. A Greg Carmichael production.

DC LaRue "Ca-the-drals" Been after this for a while - the long version has to be one of the longest 7"s ever ( and this is turning into my longest post ever...)

also..

Creative Source "Migration"
    Timmy Thomas "You're the song i've always wanted to sing"
    Ubiquity "Starbooty"

.....plus a few other bits and pieces including a john schroeder production on Black Bear which appears to be an offshoot of his Alaska label.

Not the greatest haul of all time but some satisfying finds and at 99p each, who says Oxfam's rubbish? They're still out there!
    Endless Tripe

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Sam Nesbit "Keep On Hustlin' Baby" Uptempo mid 70s soul - nice. On Dave Godin's Right On label, I know about three others on the label but never heard of this. A Greg Carmichael production.
    yeah, this one's nice, the instrumental b-side's good too. looks good in the 'Right On' black paper sleeve too.

what's the Timmy Thomas like?

Comment

Its great. Uptempo TK shuffler. (I remember this having some popularity back in the rare groove days of the eighties. i seem to think it was a moderate hit when it came out, so not particulraly rare..).
      Endless Tripe

Comment

What's the Black Bear 45 and what's it like? I'll have to check again tonight but I always assumed that the Black Bear logo was simply a later, different logo for the same label? I'm intrigued...
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

How long is the long version of DC LaRue? Is it the same as the 12? It's a great record, that. If you like that, check out Do You Want The Real Thing by DC LaRue, too. Much slower, in a Love To Love You Baby vein, but brilliant.

Who produced the Robert Upchurch? Not come across that one before.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Rich, I didn't make a note of the details of the Black Bear record (i'm at work). Its by the Love Dimension (?), its called something like "I've found someone new" its a uk soul-ish male / female duo. Not bad - starts off a bit ropey but improves. The date is 1978. It is practically the same logo only its..erm.. a *black* bear.

LBG: There's no timing given on the label but i'd say around ten minutes. I 've got a run of "Black Music" from the time with an in depth, two part feature which pretty comprehensively lists the 12"s available up to that point and comments on any differences between them and the 7". I'll check it out. Not sure who produced the Upchurch. One of the usual suspects. I'll check that too.
            Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (son of stan @ 24 July 2003,12:52)]Rich,  I didn't make a note of the details of the Black Bear record (i'm at work). Its by the Love Dimension (?), its called something like "I've found someone new" its a uk soul-ish male / female duo. Not bad - starts off a bit ropey but improves. The date is 1978. It is practically the same logo only its..erm.. a *black* bear.
              Cheers SOS! Being cheeky, if you're checking stuff could you tell me the flip of the Love Dimension 45 - John occasionally used the space to put out completely unrelated tracks...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

sure, no problem, i'll get back to you on these sometime next week
                Endless Tripe

Comment

Okay, so this is a very US hiphop related find. But I'm convinced the only good place to get wax now in the US is out of the homes of old DJs.

Yesterday landed singles (some doubles) of just about every big daddy kane (including get into it and wrath of kane), biz, de la soul and EPMD single I'd ever want... shrinked public enemy, special ed, nice & smooth, cold crush, just-ice... alkoholiks, ultramagnetics, marley marl in control vol. 1. Rarities like kid capri joke's on you jack remix 12", mc shan "they used to do it../juice crew law". A few bits and baubles thrown in, fela kuti "live in amsterdam", dance to the drummer beat OG on electric cat. Lots more, maybe 2/3 crate total.

And the best part, all DEAD mint, probably unplayed. Wasn't a dollar bin deal, but close... sometimes you gotta reach past your milk money. Of course this is nothing compared to what the guy has in his apartment - every, and I mean EVERY Diamond D, krs-one, sugar hill, gangstarr, etc. release. Absolute bonkers.

Comment

Working...
                  X