Weekend digs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend digs

Every year since middle ages, at the end of july, whole old town of Danzig turns into big fair market for 2 weeks. Its called Jarmark Swietego Dominika (A Fair of Saint Dominic)& rooted in tradition of this city, its happening even during war. Everybody is tryin to sell everything what can be sold, of course there are plenty of old, dusty crates to dig records too.
    You have to get there in early morning because during fair  a lot of german collectors with big money goes here to find polishbreakbeatrare joints
    Here's what I found on saturday (I was digging with my right leg in the cest):

7" :
    Bossa Nova Combo (Muza mid 60's)
    great version of Desafinado & 3 original compositions - all full of pulpy flutes & afrocuban percussions

LP's :
    Jazz Jamboree 1965(Muza 1965)
    compilation with cuts from that festival
    the best track by Jerzy Milian on vibes backed by Karolak's Rhythm Section.    

Ptaszyn "Sweetbeat"(Muza 1972)
    beautiful & sampleable easy jazz played in pulpy soundtrack style (with strings).

Ossian "The Rite of Sound of Silence"(Muza 1987)
    i dont know how to describe that lp
    its based on african & asian folk music mixed with fusion jazz rock & illustration music for theatres
    they're using traditional african & asian instruments as well as vibes & flutes
    awesome stuff to listen - not funky but very soulful

Orchestra Of The Eight Day "At The Last Gate" (Savitor 1984)
    similar weirdness to Ossian - one guy on bass guitar & one on instrument called Fischer's Fidola (invented by him)
    that Fidola sound like downpitched flute
    hard to describe - you vultures have to listen to that shit
    something like ambientjazz
    but its not so great as Ossian
    ah & its pressed by small private label Savitor because they were opponents of communists & they were banned to release records on national labels like Pronit or Muza

Wirtuozi Muzyki Rozrywkowej (Pronit early 70's)
    compilation with some EZ cheesy schmaltz but some nice pulpy soundtrack EZ jazz grooves also.
    best tracks by Józef Gawrych (on the vibes)

Fermata "Generation"(Opus 1981)
    czechoslovakian psychprogjazzrockcosmicfunk illbreakbeatrare. Very listenable lp, lots of sampleability too

Paradox "Drifting Feather" Polish Jazz vol 26(Muza 1971)
    awesome crazy fusion jazz played by cello, basoon,trombone, classical guitar & alto saxophone. No drums, only bass in rhythm section. again - awesome

Skorpio "S/T"(Pepita 1980)
    illhungarianbreakbeatrare
    but where's the breaks
    i've found only one & its early 60's rock'n'roll band type
    i don't get style of this lp - maybe because its sung in hungarian - to me one of the weirdest language in the world

Krystyna Pronko "S/T"(Pronit 1982)
    very clean & loud recorded open drums at start of the best track, her biggest hit called "Jestes Lekiem Na Cale Zlo (You're The Healer Of All Evil)"

Jazz Ze studia 'A' - Jazzovy Orchestr Ceskoslovenskego Rozhlasu Ridi Kamil Hala (Panton 1976)
    fusion jazz played by big band
    the result - fine album with some possible breaks (unfornately backgrounded by claphands of the audience - its recorded live in studio)

Test "S/T" (Pronit mid 70's)
    polish progpsychhardrock
    there are few 1 bar breaks

Partita "Jesienia, Zima, Latem" (Pronit 1972)
    first lp of polish female vocal group

Partita "Niech Ziemia Tonie W Kwiatach" (Muza mid 1970's)
    second lp of polish female vocal group

1000 Taktow Mlodosci(Pronit mid 60's)
    compilation with polish rock & pop - one track by Novi Singers, but nothing great - song for mom ("Everything For Mummy&quot

Beat oratorio (Muza 1972)
    polish psychprogrock based on the ordinary of the liturgical mess

Motel String Orchestra conducted by Leszek Bogdanowicz (Muza mid 80's)
    complete crap but nice painted cover - car on the road between huge tits    

Boogie Down Productions "By All Mean Necessary"
    german pressing of classic rap      

Malcolm McLaren "Duck Rock"
    french pressing

and that's not end ........ here's what i found on sunday :

45's :

ARP Life "Bu Bu/Bilbao"(Tonpress 1976 ?)
    Polish Radio & TV studio ensemble plays synthezized funk - 2 sides & 2 great breaks

LP's

Salena Jones with the Keith Mansfield Orchestra(Muza 1970)
    great rareish lp released only in Poland

Big Band Katowice "Music For My Friends Polish Jazz vol 52(Muza 1977)
    superb cinematic funk version of Sorcery (Keith Jarett), sampled by Pablo for "Roll Call", slso great version of Mandrox (Otis Redding)
    awesome jazzfunk album - there are some superb breaks too
    polish illbreakbeatrare joint

Collegium Musicum Live(Opus 1973)
    czech trio (Hammond, bass & drums) playing ill cosmic jazz rock
    great stuff for sampling

Jazz Jamboree '75 vol 1(Muza 1975)
    compilation from festival
    on A side Peter Herbolzheimer Rhythm Combination & Brass
    on B side Gustav Brom Big Band & Jerzy Milian on the vibes

Jazz Jamboree '66(Muza 1966)
    compilation from festival
    side A - Andor Kovacs Quartet & Garanian Gromin Quartet - funky jazz on guitars
    side B - Freddy Sunder Quintet & Monty Sunshine's Jazz Band

Lucja Prus "S/T"(Wifon 1980)
    polish vocal bossa jazz

Orchestra of The Eight Day "Czekajac na Komete Halleya"(Savitor 1985)
    this lp sounds like DJ shadow's ambient transsmissions

Ossian "S/T"(Muza 1975)
    oriental folk mixed with music for contemplation

Kwartet Jorgi "Life"(Pronit 1985)
    polish psychfolk - lot of pan flutes

Zodiac "Disco Alliance"(Melodia 197?)
    synthezized funkrock from Russia
    with few breaks

Special Percussions Guem "15 bases rythmiques"(Le Chant du Monde 1975)
    french guide how to play afro, cuban or oriental percussion instruments (with examples)
    great percussional samples & loops

Jan Ptaszyn Wróblewski & BRT Jazz Orchestra "Skleroptak"(Poljazz 1976)
    polish saxophonist with belgian orchestra

and its still not all !!!

during midweek i'll get Torpedo by NOVI & some more polish illbreakbeatrare like Bemibek      

and my leg is still in the cest ....  

Funkoff
    Keep That Funk Alive

Wow, flea markets look nice in Gdansk. The only flea I did in Poland was in Krakow and there was no records, only ugly stuffs from the Wehrmacht to sell.
    Funkoff, do you have any other east european records to trade ? If yes, hit me at: [email protected]
    The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
    Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Funkoff @ 27 July 2003,17:20)]Partita "Jesienia, Zima, Latem" (Pronit 1972)
      first lp of polish female vocal group

Partita "Niech Ziemia Tonie W Kwiatach" (Muza mid 1970's)
      second lp of polish female vocal group
      What are these two like? Loving Ali Babki's records at the moment, and I gather Partita were a similar outfit, but I've never heard them other than as backing group on other LPs...be intrigued to know if these are worth looking out for too!
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (wayne @ 29 July 2003,00:41)]What are these two like? Loving Ali Babki's records at the moment, and I gather Partita were a similar outfit, but I've never heard them other than as backing group on other LPs...be intrigued to know if these are worth looking out for too!
        First Partita lp "Jesienia,Zima,Latem" is really good - lot of nice vocal harmonies (its female vocal quartet), couple of nice funky tunes, fine easy-influenced arrangements & instrumentation. good stuff to listen & sampling at same time

but i don't get style of their second lp "Niech Ziemia Tonie W Kwiatach" - too much usual popular-easternbloc-crap-hits for me
        some tracks are nice but.....
        its not bad at all, but not good also .....
        Keep That Funk Alive

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Funkoff @ 27 July 2003,17:20)]Salena Jones with the Keith Mansfield Orchestra(Muza 1970)
          great rareish lp released only in Poland
          I saw this at flea market in Norway not so long ago .. ofcourse the sleeve was empty. Buggers! How good is it?
          salchicha!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (teddy rosso @ 29 July 2003,18:20)]b]Salena Jones with the Keith Mansfield Orchestra[/b](Muza 1970)

I saw this at flea market in Norway not so long ago .. ofcourse the sleeve was empty. Buggers! How good is it?
            I havent heard whole lp yet coz its really dusty & i'm going to wash it carefully now

it contains one awesome funky track "Right Now" & couple nice soulful tunes like "What is this thing called love ?", "For Me" & others

I very much like her "black" voice combined with mansfield's funky orchestrations

Very nice piece to listen to it

i've heard that this lp was released only in Poland, but i'm not sure that's true

i could send you some soundclips if you want to
            Keep That Funk Alive

Comment

As far as I'm aware it is just her 'The Moment Of Truth' LP repackaged in the same way at the Keith Mansfield Orchestra was for the same market.

Good LP all the same....
              Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 29 July 2003,21:02)]As far as I'm aware it is just her 'The Moment Of Truth' LP repackaged in the same way at the Keith Mansfield Orchestra was for the same market.

Good LP all the same....
                there's no polish only lp of salena.
                both 'The Moment Of Truth' & 'Everybody's Talkin' have polish pressing.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (teddy rosso @ 29 July 2003,18:20)]I saw this at flea market in Norway not so long ago .. ofcourse the sleeve was empty. Buggers! How good is it?
                  And coincidentally I've found an empty sleeve for 'Moment Of Truth' in Barnardo's in North Finchley before - so cheers Colin! 'Right Now' is cracking.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Another hardcore digging day at the fair

From oldman's crate :

Gustav Brom Orchestra "Invitation To The Dance" (Muza late 70's)
                    crap - learn how to dance with gustav brom
                    lot of foxtrotts and valses, one bossa, rumba & samba
                    (trade/sell)

Partita "Niech Ziemia Tonie W Kwiatach"(Muza mid 70's)
                    second lp of polish female vocal group (double - for trade or sell)

From 1 euro bin crates :

El Chicano "Cinco" (MCA 1974)
                    Latin funk, couple of very nice funky tracks & few latin percussive breaks

Sarolta Zalatnay "S/T" (Supraphon 1973)
                    on A side backed by Prague Radio Dance Orchestra
                    on B side by Skorpio

Bergendy "S/T" (Pepita 197?)
                    hungarian rock - few breaks, nothing special

Tolcsvaek Es A Trio (Pepita 197?)
                    another hungarian rock lp - couple funky tunes, some cheap breaks

Rare Earth "Midnight Lady" (Tamla Motown 1976)
                    indian pressing

Finds of the day :

Bemibem "Bemowe Frazy" (Muza mid 70's)
                    polish ilbreakbeatrare joint
                    few huge partytracks like "Podaruj Mi Troche Slonca" or "Jajecznica"
                    great stuff
                    near mint and only 12,5 euro ....

Barrabas Afro Soul "Wild Safari" (RCA Victor 1972)
                    afrobeat ?
                    all musicians are white but who cares .... anyway its great afro-funk-rock
                    even few breaks ....
                    Keep That Funk Alive

Comment

here's my thursday digs on the fair:

LP's

Breakout "NOL" (Muza mid 70's)
                      breaks & dj format samplesource(near mint)

Alibabki "Kwiat Jednej Nocy"(Pronit 1970)

Katarzyna Gartner & Czerwono Czarni "Msza Beatowa" (Muza late 60's)

from 1 dollar/ 1 euro/ 5 PLN bin :

45's :

Cerrone "Supernature\Give Me Love" (Atlantic 1977) disco !!!

Chic "Good Times\A Warm Summer Night"
                      (Atlantic 1979) more disco !!!

Chic "Dance,Dance,Dance (Yowsah,Yowsah,Yowsah)\Sao Paulo"
                      (Atlantic 1977) much more disco !!!

LP's :

Kombi "S/T"(Wifon 1979)
                      polish funkrock with supa-fonky-tune "Jak Ja To Wytrzymam ? (How Can I Stand It ?)"

The Cecil Holmes Soulful Sounds "The Black Motion Picture Experience" (Buddah Records 1973)

5th Dimension "Living Together, Growing Together" (Bell 1973)

Fever Exploration "S/T" (Mercury 1970's ?)
                      weird french instrumental easypsychrock (?) lp with some nice open drums

Gabor Szabo "Small World"(Four Leaf 1972/Tonpress early 80's)
                      polish issue

Don Tracy "A Night With The Voodoo Family"(Studio 2 Stereo 1965)
                      exotica

Les Baxter & 101 Strings "Million Seller Hits"(Alshire 1970)
                      nice easyexotica lp, the best track - "A Taste Of Soul"

The fair ends on sunday so i'll probably get more interesting & cheap records during the weekend
                      Keep That Funk Alive

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Funkoff @ Aug. 08 2003,14:06)]Alibabki "Kwiat Jednej Nocy"(Pronit 1970)

Katarzyna Gartner & Czerwono Czarni "Msza Beatowa" (Muza late 60's)
                        Hey, if you get bored with either of those, let me know!

Nice finds...
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Fair ended today, here's what I found :

LP's :

Gustav Brom & His Orchestra "W Tanecznych Rytmach" (Muza mid 70's)
                          illczechbigbandfunkrare

Hot Hits 10 (MFP 1972)
                          breaks !!! what a cover ....

Bob Roy Orchestra "DiscoFlash"(Muza late 70's)
                          easy-instrumental-disco lp with breaks !!!

Wiktor Kolankowski gra swoje melodie (Pronit mid 70's)
                          not so bad easy-cheesy-bossa-hammond-lp

Henryk Alber & Janusz Strobel "Duet Gitar Klasycznych"(Muza 1972)
                          nice bossajazz on acoustic guitars only

Czy Pani Lubi Tanczyc ? (Do You Like To Dance ?)(Muza early 60's)
                          easylistening

Prywatka U Marioli(Muza mid 60's)
                          complete crap but what a cover .....

Charly Antolini "In The Groove"(MPS 1972)
                          very nice fusion lp with some breaks !!!

The Undisputed Truth "S/T"(Motown/Gordy 1971)

Fleetwood Mac "Tango In The Night"(Warner 1987)
                          don't laugh  

Grover Washington Jr "A Secret Place"(Motown 1976)

Quincy Jones "In The Heat Of The Night OST"(United Artists 1967)
                          Keep That Funk Alive

Comment

Hello Sir.

Gustav Brom & His Orchestra "W Tanecznych Rytmach" (Muza mid 70's)
                            illczechbigbandfunkrare

How does this album compare to his 'Plays Pop Jazz & Swing'? Is it quite common in your neck of the woods?  

Do you get much Bulgarian Television & Radio releases round your way.
                            records - one a week mixcloud
                            records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Yeh, it's the same Salena Jones lp, 'Moment of truth', one which i unfortunately lost in a fookin' fire!! (eyes glaze over.....tears well up.......).
                              derelicts of dialect

Comment

Working...
                              X