Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Hero
    replied
    I bought it and I don't remember there being any mention of licensing on the sleeve (and no track titles for that matter). There's upwards of 60 tracks so I'm guessing it's the same as the promo release and they're grouped into about 17 bands, rather than individually marked. Just starting marking off my MD copy - I'll be posting queries in due course...

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Hell I'm mega thankful for Andy dropping this mix and especially glad they gave it away free to all who bought from the Twisted Nerve site...but charging £12.99 or whatever for what I think is a bootleg is bit...well...it takes a bit of nerve (no pun intended honest...)
    You can buy it at the Twisted Nerve website for £9.99

http://www.twistednerve.co.uk/supermarche/albums.html

And various other albums (vinyl) for £2.49 at the minute. It's the websites fouth birthday apparently.

I assumed nothing had been licensed. Usually with stuff like this they put 'for promotional use only' and hope for the best. Or is that just the yanks?

Leave a comment:

• La-Soul-Fiend
    replied
    Quote from Si Cheeba "as it's goes into Maxamilian "The Snake" on track Five"....

Now that's a tune I've not heard for a bloody long time! Proper gear that!

Regarding the original point to this thread, I must agree with Nick's when he says "that kind of defeats the object in the first place in my book..." Spot on son, without wanting to appear preachy, the selling of such a recording for proper retail prices simply misses the point altogether. There was always gonna be problems legally issuing this mix, as was fully discussed on this board some time ago, not least for the number of tracks which compose it. Whatever occurs in the transition between it's official release and the subsequent [additional] attention it receives, this mix will draw different kinds of heat!

Leave a comment:

• Si Cheeba
    replied
    Can you burn me a copy when you get a minute off from your urban guerilla adventures too mate?

BTW - I think the "proper" release does have track markers as a mate of mine jut emailed me to say

"this takes me back to Scarborough '86 (classic mod rally for us - schoolkids at the time) as it's goes into Maxamilian "The Snake" on track Five"....

Leave a comment:

• Nick Cope
    replied
    Gotta agree with you there, Serm. It's a very grey area, but the days of booties should be over by now, but as discussed previously, they aren't - much of that down to big labels who end up owning loads of old, small labels and not caring about what's on them or even music per se.

But we all know, that if it was licensed, it just wouldn't be a mix anymore, as over half of the tracks wouldn't make it... I imagine what Fat City have done is filed the declarations and left it up to whoever owns what to get in touch and make claims - most won't, it won't sell enough to attract more, and unless someone makes an official complaint to MCPS, nothing will probably come of it...

Not trying to preach, after all, I've done my own fair share of this kind of thing, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away etc. But to charge full wack for a mix - that I'd feel uncomfortable with doing, regardless of whether the tracks were cleared or not.

Should be a giveaway, definitely, like what we're doing with the Brillo comp - It's a tad shady - but we're not making cash and maybe it might help get something going about a few of them tracks somewhere down the line... (I know I deliberated this issue extensively with you guys, but I'm happy with this attitude now&#33

Music to make girls cry is great PR for Votel and Fat City, but they shouldn't get greedy and capitalise on the buzz it's created - that kind of defeats the object in the first place in my book...

Still haven't heard it either! Can anyone burn a cdr?

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    started a topic Music to watch girs cry

Music to watch girs cry

So has anyone picked up the proper release yet? If it has track markers I'll probably pick it up.

I'm not having a pop at Fat City but I'm presuming because of the lack of tracklisting on the 'official' release that they didn't clear (all of) the tracks. I know mates of Andy Votel are on the board - and even the twisted meister is floating around somewhere here so I wouldnt mind knowing whats what.

Surely if these artists find out they are on quite a high profile release they'll cripple the project due to royalty demands. The library tracks comped will certainly be up on getting paid.

Hell I'm mega thankful for Andy dropping this mix and especially glad they gave it away free to all who bought from the Twisted Nerve site...but charging £12.99 or whatever for what I think is a bootleg is bit...well...it takes a bit of nerve (no pun intended honest...)

http://www.burntblue.com/features/fe...sp?Feature=651

I've held off bootlegging library records, Gentle Rain etc etc - Gone down the legal route and coughed up thousands of pounds to license tracks. So thats where I'm coming from really.
Working...
X