Raise it up! thurs aug 14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise it up! thurs aug 14th

Hello you lot. Its that time again - the time when nobody comes to our club, even though its the best. And we even have a new name to entice you.

Since people continually assumed that the name Bring It Up! had something to do with being sick, Liam and I are proud to present an all-new old night:
    Raise It Up! @ the Asylum, 1a Percy Street, W1 (nearest tube Tottenham ct Rd.) , 9-2, free entry.

Becks beer is £1.50 all night, allegedly, although that might not turn out to be completely accurate. There are definitely some offers on beer, though, whatever they might be. And it is air-conditioned, should this apocalyptic end-of-the-world global meltdown continue until then.

As per usual, we will be offering londons finest selection of funk, hiphop, ska, reggae, dancehall, R&B, afrobeat and anything else we fancy...britney spears, timberlake, terry reid, Led Zep, etc. (This is probably one reason nobody turns up, but still we persist. Some would say we are backing a loser. As Nick Cope said last time, 'please, no digi, or i'm leaving&#39

Not only that, we will apparently be joined by Miss Shing-a-ling (Grand Slam), all the way from New York. According to the Guardian guide, anyway.

try and make it, you might even like the music. Speaking of which, a meaningless playlist never hurt anyone, even if it does have an undue emphasis on things with strange names.

1. Edoms Treo: Reggae Exprence (Nu-sound) 2 out of 4 words spelt wrong here, and thats assuming 'Edoms' is a real word. Not bad going really.
    2. Drawoh: Yesterday (Yetto) Drawoh? That's definitely not a word.
    3. Dennis Brown: Out in the Rain (Colour) deep, funk-tinged reggae from the Crown Prince
    4. Clarence Curvan: Feeling Nice (Charlie's) Completely mindless celebration of taking drugs.
    5. Soul Brothers: Magic star (Island) Hard, eastern sound ska
    6. Nuwaupu: Tribute to Marcus Garvey (Total) Beautiful flute solo over deep roots backing. Plus a weird name.
    7. Bob Pinodo: Africa (Essiebons) Nifty Ghanian afrobeat number from Mr. Pinodo, AKA 'The Show Master of Africa'.
    8. The Magnificent Zeinians: Ije Udo (HMV) Shocking afrobeat stormer, ought to convince even the most sceptical. all together now - 1, 2, 3, aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgghh!
    9. Al Hirt: Harlem Hendoo (RCA) Still sounds good to me. Mr. Hirt's finest hour?
    10. Busta Rhymes: Light that ass on fire (star trak). Another gibberish classic, this time all about an arse.

are you going to come along? No? oh well.

Fin, what's that Missy Elliot versus Beenie Man track you were on about in the other thread?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

its a new beeniman 7 on jammy's called 'My dickie dickie' (on the 'sign' riddim...good riddim, really heavy, all bongos and bass kicks). Its basically him doing an interpolation of the whole of 'work it', changing all the lyrics. Its incredibly slack, very rude indeed. if its worth it, let me work it, bad man me nah inna no reverse shit, its my dickie dickie inna your pum, my dickie dickie inna your pum...if you got a tight *, my dick'll search it, to find out how hard i got force it... its my dickie dickie etc.etc.

Its really not very progressive. but it is very good, and quite entertaining too. I can't imagine that it wouldn't rock any party, if you dropped it after the Missy. Try Dub Vendor. It might have gone away on pre-release single by now, but it should still be around. Otherwise its on the Sign riddim LP, on greensleeves. If you like the riddim, theres 2 other cuts worth checking, the ward 21 ('rhyme', in which no two words rhyme) and the elephant man ('Fuck You sign', which is about telling people to fuck off. Good vocal, sadly marred by a touch of mindless homophobia, the scourge of the liberal dancehall fan)

Comment

good god, it's harlem hendoo, and it's in someone else's bag too.

i just dug that out of my shelves and it'll be played tonight at brillo (assuming i pass the decks initiation rites, obviously).

i'll see if i can make it this thursday too.

Comment

jolly good, hope to see you there. Soul in the Horn doesn't really turn up much does it? i only recall seeing it a couple of times. dealers I know say that it is the only one of his which is hard to come by in the states, the rest are all over the place. harlem hendoo is great though; no doubt it was a novelty track in its day. in fact, most of the album is passable.

Comment

Cheers Fin! Know what you mean about the 'scourge of the liberal dancehall fan', not that I'm so deep into 'tut tut' as my French friend (who is) calls it. Then again, loads of hip hop suffers from the same problem...

And we had that conversation about 'Soul In The Horn' on the other board Alan - yours came from Groove Merchant too as I remember?
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (fin @ Aug. 11 2003,16:39)]its a new beeniman 7 on jammy's called 'My dickie dickie' (on the 'sign' riddim...good riddim, really heavy, all bongos and bass kicks). Its basically him doing an interpolation of the whole of 'work it', changing all the lyrics. Its incredibly slack, very rude indeed. if its worth it, let me work it, bad man me nah inna no reverse shit, its my dickie dickie inna your pum, my dickie dickie inna your pum...if you got a tight *, my dick'll search it, to find out how hard i got force it... its my dickie dickie etc.etc.

Its really not very progressive. but it is very good, and quite entertaining too. I can't imagine that it wouldn't rock any party, if you dropped it after the Missy. Try Dub Vendor. It might have gone away on pre-release single by now, but it should still be around. Otherwise its on the Sign riddim LP, on greensleeves. If you like the riddim, theres 2 other cuts worth checking, the ward 21 ('rhyme', in which no two words rhyme) and the elephant man ('Fuck You sign', which is about telling people to fuck off. Good vocal, sadly marred by a touch of mindless homophobia, the scourge of the liberal dancehall fan)
              I second that - very filthy, but very fun  
              Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

indeed it does; although hiphop has never had whole records about hating and killing gay people, whereas dancehall has loads. Brand Nubians 'Punks Jump Up...' has a few rather unpleasant moments from that point of view. But you just have to ignore it on that, as its so very good. oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Aug. 11 2003,17:05)]And we had that conversation about 'Soul In The Horn' on the other board Alan - yours came from Groove Merchant too as I remember?
                  indeed, ripped gently from the racks of lower haight's finest.

the plastic outer even had a sticker on it that said "YES! this IS the one with "Harlem Hendoo" on it.

Comment

Ok it's time to pull anorak on and zip up fully!

Got my 'Hendo' (is it some girly hen party shizzle)?!
                    from a rock festival in Essen, east germany where we (DSP) were supporting the Herbaliser, it was classic. A bloke from a punk band came up to us & said (in German accent) "you are the anal-iser, the anal-iser". Which he thought was the funniest thing ever uttered by a human being, to which Patrick Dawes the percusionist hastily came back with "Wearing make up is no excuse for playing shit music"...He seemed perplexed by this & walked away with the ramifications of the comeback sinking slowly in.

Maybe you had to be there, all the same, scored the parp meister's greatest moment.

Peace

P.
                    Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

just pushing this to the top to remind you lot that tonight is musical antertainment night... Nick, can we count on you, as our only regular, to fly the flag for both VV and deepfunk? hope to see some of you there... go on, its really very good.

sermad, what do you want to do about those timmions?

Comment

that'll be entertainment, rather than 'antertainment'. although maybe since noone ever turns up, maybe antertainment is accurate? Untertainment, perhaps.

Comment

hey fin. I still want them mate. But I'm unable to make it tonight. I'm going back to brighton this week so I'll see quantic about getting those whites for you.

So I'll be on for doing the swap on thursday. Thats little barrie right?
                          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

yep, thats cool. see you then.

Comment

I read something about the boy Cadogan (Little Barrie) in Guardian Guide as well. Deejaying at Cargo or something? maybe some other vulture can remember better than I can.

Poxy London shithole anyway.

Benicio Del Northern
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X