The demise of "dance music"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The demise of "dance music"

If reports of the demise of "dance music" (I hate that phrase) are to be believed, does that mean we can look forward to a glut of no-longer-fashionable vinyl hitting our charity shops and booties some day soon?

Yee-hah!!
    Endless Tripe

I don't see any kind of demise in "dance music" !? I mean the pop charts are still full of essex girls singing (tryin' too) serenades to ravy davy and the local HMV has a stack of shit new "dance" 12's in their racks every Monday
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Story in today's Guardian....

Personally, I don't think that the business problems related in the article are especially suprising, or for that matter cause for anything other than a wry smile.

Polumbo (sp?) et al have been making huge amounts of money over the last decade out of 'dance music' and that wave of profit making is largely over, so we'll see whether they are truely 'visionary businessmen' or just chancers who cashed in at the right time.
      Matt Hero

Comment

Didnt dance music totally die on its arse about 4-5 years ago and then the mitsibushi pill 'saved' it from the doldrums. All I know is that the music wss so then bad you *have* had to be on pills to have a good time

Lord knows whats going on with it these days - Electroclashmethingydetroithandbagtranceballs is probably the flavour of the day at the moment!

As for 12's in the charities - I have really noticed a shift in the newer records I see nowadays. I always used to see a lot of hardcore and such but now I see charty dance 12's - positiva and so on filling up the racks. Which quite frankly gets on my wick!
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I hear what your saying about all the dross that comes out but hey, what&#39;s new?

Speaking for myself, I love (proper) soulful / funky house music and always will.

I&#39;ll wade through any amount of old pony (doesn&#39;t matter to me if its &quot;Sharky and Hixxy Go Bonkers&quot; or &quot;Val Doonican Rocks..But Gently&quot if it means i find the odd good record.
          Endless Tripe

Comment

i think i&#39;d take the val doonican stuff over hixxy &amp; sharkey anyday&#33;&#33; happy hardcore is a sodding disease.  

i&#39;ll be quite happy to find a copy of 808 state&#39;s &quot;quadrastate&quot; or something like that, in the charites though...

Comment

Just fashion &amp; cycles, isn&#39;t it? Dance music (as in gear to strut yer funky butt to) will always have a big place, but the form it takes&#39;ll change: housey type gear has dominated for well over a decade, so it&#39;s long overdue to fall out of favour (surprised it hasn&#39;t before, really). When it does, surely it&#39;ll be like Disco or whatever, with the 808 States separated from the Cheezy Quavers by the likes of us lot (OK, or maybe mundayschild &amp; bunch of younger &#39;uns). I had to dig through acres of damn white label 12&quot;s (no idea what they were) in Barnardos only the other day, but I found a Hymns A Swingin in there so who&#39;s complaining? Just wish I knew which gear was worth pulling out of those racks, really... probably too much I-Beef-Ah and not enough Sheffield &amp; Detroit for me...
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Hymns a Swinging? you bastard...

Comment

which barnadoes?
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Sorry, I thought this thread was the Demis of dance music, and not the demise...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

actually rich, that opens up an interesting question. just who IS the Demis of dance?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Aug. 21 2003,14:31)]Sorry, I thought this thread was the Demis of dance music, and not the demise...

....&quot;Now That&#39;s What I Call Music&quot;
                        I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (wooly @ Aug. 21 2003,15:32)]actually rich, that opens up an interesting question. just who IS the Demis of dance?  
                          Lookswise it has to be Arthur Baker?  He&#39;s been moonlighting as that bloke in the Lynx advert...  And for yet another tangent (apologies to the proprietors of this thread ) anyone noticed Normski in the latest Bacardi ad, with Vinnie Jones.  And please, noone mention Heavy TV.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

[QUOTE]anyone noticed Normski in the latest Bacardi ad, with Vinnie Jones. And please, noone mention Heavy TV.

Yes I saw Normski on the advert and on Heavy TV which must be the oddest and most disorganised programme in the world. Last week Normski went absoloutely bonkers in the studio(probably cos of the free wine) on the subject of the future of the music industry which according to Heavy TV is 8-bar/sub-low music or something like that or stuff from Dizee Rascal.

Comment

Hmmm, what are we talking here, pop dance shite that passes for our modern hit parade, the stuff that nestles alongside the cheeky girls, maybe the fashion led cycles of the &#39;cool&#39; clique who try to be so hip they have to invent this weeks &#39;electroclash&#39; or &#39;intelligent garage&#39; and as a consequence the music takes second stage to the lifestyle so it can appeal to the I readers?, the word we are missing here (and i&#39;m surprised no one&#39;s mentioned) is SOUL, you know that thing that gets yer toe&#39;s tappin&#39; and gives you a shiver down the spine, it can apply to quality music be it house, hip hop, drum and bass, techno, old skool funk, Dancehall, r+b, northern soul, you get the idea. whatever dance music&#39;s demise is greatly exaggerated, it&#39;s a broad church and there is a large congregation, be it the gay house clubs of new york where all are welcome to come and join the dance, to Russia where kids with next to no money put on thier own parties religiously every week, in order to forget their troubles for a while and loose themselves in the groove, it&#39;s a worldwide &#39;ting and means different things to many different people. Roll on the days when ALL kinds of music can be played under the same roof, room for everyone, now thats what i call music&#33;
                              derelicts of dialect

Comment

Working...
                              X