Holiday records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday records

when i say hoilday records i mean, the dodgy ones people brought back from spain etc in the 70's, there's usually a stack of them in most charitiy shops, not the sort of thing i buy, but others i know do (they will remain nameless for obvious reasons, embarrassment etc) right, now to the point, there worth picking up, but tread very careful, check the track listings first, because 99% of them are rubbish & when you do find a good one, it will only have one good track on it, i've found 3 albums so far with good tracks on them the first is OLE ESPANA - MALLORCA-1 with a nice moog flamenco track called err 'flamenco moog' after that is a straight version of 'popcorn'.
    the second is BENIDORM 78 which has a great disco funk track called 'soul dracula' with wah wah, great wordless female backing vocals, and a chap saying soul dracula in a deep voice throughout the track, well worth tracking down (one day i'll make a CD comp with all the tracks i've mentioned on it, anyone interested???)
    the third isn't technically a holiday record although it's a spanish pressing and was probably brought back by a holiday maker, it's by LOS 5 DEL ESTE & it's called Y SUS EXITOS it's mainly rubbish but it's got one redeeming track called 'nada todavia' (english translation 'we ain't got nothin yet) yes it's the BLUES MAGOOS track in spanish.
    so keep an eye out for those dodgy 'holiday records' and let me know if you've got any with unusual tracks on them.
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (happy monster @ Aug. 23 2003,20:08)]the second is BENIDORM 78 which has a great disco funk track called 'soul dracula' with wah wah, great wordless female backing vocals, and a chap saying soul dracula in a deep voice throughout the track, well worth tracking down
    Might well be a cover, but it was a very minor hit for 'Hot Blood' in the mid-late seventies, released here in the UK on Creole.

If anybody is desperate, I do have a spare 45 of it somewhere.
    Matt Hero

Comment

i'd like a copy of that 45 please matt.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (happy monster @ Aug. 23 2003,20:47)]i'd like a copy of that 45 please matt.
        Sure - drop me an email or PM and we'll sort something out.
        Matt Hero

Comment

There's a Hot Blood LP, 'Disco Dracula', on Dynamic from around 1977 which is pretty much all in that 'Soul Dracula' vein - seems to be a German production involving Max Greger Jr, but lots of great exploito-disco stuff like 'Sex Me' & 'Terror On The Dance Floor', well worth picking up...

The post on here somewhere about Sylvia's 'Y Viva Espana' LP - featuring nice takes on 'The Beat Goes On' & 'Carry That Weight' - probably comes under the 'hidden treasures on rubbish holiday records' heading too...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (wayne @ Aug. 24 2003,03:15)]The post on here somewhere about Sylvia's 'Y Viva Espana' LP - featuring nice takes on 'The Beat Goes On' & 'Carry That Weight' - probably comes under the 'hidden treasures on rubbish holiday records' heading too...
            maybe this is the beginnings of a new category which might fit into the weird section of the site.

Comment

Working...
            X