Funky house music question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky house music question

was at the carnival yesterday and down near the castle pub this they finished the set at 7pm and before the encore played this track that had some funky latin trumpet over a funky house tune. I asked one of the dj's and he reckoned it was a track by melba moore called babaloo. Now I know I may have got the words slightly wrong but not even google can find this one for me. any of you cats know the tune?

Also I've been buying so much funk and latin lately I could do with some tips on funky house. Ie. stuffwith lots of brass sections and perhaps some bongos. Just want to broaden my horizens a bit.
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

actually no I got that wrong.

by an artist called solar moore?

Comment

Do you know which sound system it was? I don't the track but I know most of the people who run the house sound systems at Carnival.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

don't know the track either, but the word is usually spelt 'Babalu', which may or may not be a help when Googling...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Aug. 26 2003,11:03)]Do you know which sound system it was? I don't the track but I know most of the people who run the house sound systems at Carnival.
          not sure who was playing or the name of the system. Walk from the castle pub, down to the duke of wellington and it was on that corner.

Would love to track the tune down as beleive me everyone went beserk after hearing it. Great track to finish on.
          Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

This is a bit of a wild guess, given that it sounds nothing like Solar Moore, but it could be Noel Nanton's Your Love (Ian Pooley Mix) on NRK. It's got a Latin-esque trumptet on it, it's been quite a big track over the past few months and it's funky house. If I can find a sound clip I'll post it.

Comment

Here you go. I asked a few friends and they knew:

Soul'amour - Babalu (Phearce Musica)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Aug. 26 2003,17:31)]Here you go. I asked a few friends and they knew:

Soul'amour - Babalu (Phearce Musica)
                And here you go.. you can BUY IT / listen here:

Juno

Search under "SOUL AMOUR"

Huh? What?
                Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

hey thanks for all the help guys. Yes thats the tune. Made a few people dance at the weekend. Looks like I'll have to pop into town tomorrow and get one. Cant wait.

Any of you guys got any more funky house with sax or brass section type tips for me?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Guest @ Aug. 26 2003,23:01)]hey thanks for all the help guys.  Yes thats the tune.  Made a few people dance at the weekend. Looks like I'll have to pop into town tomorrow and get one.  Cant wait.  

Any of you guys got any more funky house with sax or brass section type tips for me?
                    Yes, there's the one mentioned above (Noel Nanton). Then there's Studio Apartment's Barulhos (LTJ Experience Mix). There are lots more but these are a couple of recent ones. Anything by Masters At Work is usually worth a shot. Actually, there's another recent-ish one by MAW I've been playing: BOP's Zabalaza on their own (MAW's) label. It's more afro-house than brass-y, but it's really good. And on the afro-house tip, you should also check out Augustus (or Augusta, I can't remember which) by Nigel Hayes.

Comment

O.k, we're gonna go back, waay back..... a couple of oldies but fookin' goodies, ones that have been reliable floor fillers in the past, and have got me out of some jams are-
                      Nu Yorican soul-the nervous track-Nervous 1993' (MAW)
                      Don Carlos-Alone-Calypso Italy 1991
                      The Earth people- 'Reach' and 'Dance' both Champion recs 1990
                      there are many more, but it's late you see.........

derelicts of dialect

Comment

Thought I'd mention a rather pleasant funky brazilian style house 12" I picked up recently by Samba1 'Sambanova' - it's a promo thing so I don't know about availability, but it certainly been doing the business for me at my more latin orientated nights here recently..
                        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

French house group called Kojak have always given me some joy on the floor front, tune called "Cant Stop It" nice chilled Spinna remix on the promo and the og. mix rocks.

ps. Brillo peoples i havent forsaken you after one event, just been on hols etc etc, hopefully i can make it down to the October event, as well as interesting some non-brilloites into the truth
                          working together for better bass and treble

Comment

I definitely second that Nervous Track. Been looking out for a copy for years but still no joy.
                            I haven't been buying so much housey stuff of late but I can recommend Tom & Joyce - Queixume (Masters at Work remix) which was released last year. Its a great tune with some nice funky trumpets and soulful vocals. I'd look out for Toko Records as well. They've put out some good stuff.
                            - Tom

Comment

Its not quite house - more broken beaty but if you check the Giles Peterson Worldwide 2 CD, then these two are right carnival monsters.

NU SPIRIT HELSINKI-Seis Por Ocho (original Jazz Session mix)
                              CALLADINE-La La Li

Infact that whole section with zero db and bugz in the attic is very very cool.
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X