Mike morton congregation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike morton congregation

I got an lp called Non Stop Top 20 by Mike Morton Congregation. Mike Morton himself plays guitar. Its all early 70's covers - with something of a rock angle (Bangladesh (or Bong Ladesh as they sing), Wont Get Fooled Again) though there'sa  pretty funky Move On Up on it too.

Any ideas anyone.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Aug. 26 2003,10:37)]I got an lp called Non Stop Top 20 by Mike Morton Congregation. Mike Morton himself plays guitar. Its all early 70's covers - with something of a rock angle (Bangladesh (or Bong Ladesh as they sing), Wont Get Fooled Again) though there'sa  pretty funky Move On Up on it too.

Any ideas anyone.
    There are loads of these Lps out there... I think that they used to release someonething like one a month for a while. For me it's the usual...'check the tracklisting, if there is anything that looks good get it', so there are probably loads of good ones that I've never picked because they didn't *sound* funky.
    Matt Hero

Comment

Er, isn't it the Mike Morton Combination? i.e. trading off Mike Curb's 'rep' like Mrs. Miller did Mrs. Mills??? They even covered 'Burning Bridges'. Very badly...
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Mrs Miller was a terrible singer... Mrs Mills was everyone's favourite cockerney knees-up ivory tinkler. no competition there i feel.

talking of Mrs Mills, i love the idea of all the easy 'meets' albums, like 'Geoff Love Meets Mrs Mills' (as if one alone isn't bad enough...) or 'Pepe Jamarillo meets Manuel and the Music of the Mountains' - particularly nice when one or more of the named is imaginary...

Comment

Prettysure its congregation on this one.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Aug. 26 2003,11:30)]Prettysure its congregation on this one.
            Oh dear. How many variations can there be? Sooner or later I expect to turn up copies of LPs by the Mick Morton Conflagration and the Michael Bolton Confrontation...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Aug. 26 2003,11:16)]talking of Mrs Mills, i love the idea of all the easy 'meets' albums, like 'Geoff Love Meets Mrs Mills' (as if one alone isn't bad enough...) or 'Pepe Jamarillo meets Manuel and the Music of the Mountains' - particularly nice when one or more of the named is imaginary...
              This must be the bargain bin version of the Soundclash...
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

yeah, shame they didn't put 'vs' in the title.

i'm keeping my eye out for more - the Geoff Love/Mrs Mills one had a great cheesy cover if i remember (was several years ago, and i didn't buy it&#33. i'm sure i've seen a few more... and more recently there's also the Mike Flowers Pops Meets the Aphex Twin Downtown 12" on Lo Records from '96 or so

Comment

I've tracked down a member of the Mike Morton Congregation, and when I'm less busy, I'l ring him up and ask for an interview.

For what it's worth, I've only ever seen LPs credited to the 'Mike Morton Congregation' - they get about a bit, too. They even appeared in South Africa on MfP!

Comment

Mike Morton

Hey all,

I like to consider myself a 'connessiur' of Mike Morton LPs.. I've got three. <blatent pathos>

I can confirm that it is indeed the Mike Morton Congregation. He also released albums as the Mike Morton Sounds.

The question is - who is he? I've been trying to find out as much as I can about him - an old college music lecturer by the name of Ray Fenwick (writer of the Magpie themetune) claimed to have known him, but he was known for his outlandish claims, so I'm not sure of the truth in his bold statement..

I consider my Mike Morton record collection to be the epitome of tacky vinyl - so bad that they're fabulous.. If anyone has any information about the elusive man, then write to this forum!

Here's the info about my three Mike Morton LPs..

The Mike Morton Congregation - 'Nonstop Top 20'
                    Plexium Records - 1971

Mike Morton Congregation:
                    George Chisholm - Trumpet
                    Barbara Kay - Lead/Backing Vox
                    Jeanie Dee - Lead/Backing Vox
                    Pat Marshall - Saxes, Backing Vox
                    Harry Friar - Bass
                    Nicky North - Lead Vox, Piano/Organ
                    Norman Fripp - Trombone (any relation to Robert?)
                    George Patterson - Trumpet, Backing Vox
                    Mike Giles - Drums/Percussion
                    Bob Scragg - Trombone (a pseudonym of Boz Scaggs?)
                    Martin Jay - Lead Vox, Guitar
                    Verdi Stuart - Lead Vocals, Trumpet
                    Sharon Winters - Lead/Backing Vox

The Mike Morton Sounds - 20 Non-Stop Party Hits
                    RCA Records, 1972

Mike Morton - Non Stop Party Show
                    (30 great sounds! - As Seen on TV)
                    Aries - 1972

Comment

You knew the legendary Ray Fenwick, eh? I can sort of believe he may have known him - he's had a fascinating career himself!

Even now, three year later, I know naff all about Mike Morton, except he played guitar on some of the Congregation's LPs - some of his stuff appears to have been recycled on assorted anonymous covers LPs too, so there may be a link with the Avenue/Alan Caddy axis, but equally there may not be!

You don't happen to have Morton's 'Son Of My Father' without fake applause on it, do you?

Comment

Ray

Indeed, I know Ray Fenwick rather well..

After his illustrious career with Tee Set, and the Spencer Davis Group (and Magpie) - he found his way to Spalding, Lincolnshire..

He's currently to be found at Boston College, as one of the in-house lecturers.. He runs a blues band that tour round Lincolnshire, and I usually bump into them whenever I nip home..

Good bloke too.

Comment

supposedly this:

The Blue Sharks - Banner Man / These Things Will Keep Me Loving You - Grand Prix
                          which just sold for 400 quid
                          (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUE-SHARKS-45...1%7C240%3A1318)

is actually two tracks from Mike Morton Plexium LPs

(it's the Velvelettes cover that is the Northern side of course)

Comment

Originally posted by tonysnail View Post
                            Hey all,

I like to consider myself a 'connessiur' of Mike Morton LPs.. I've got three. <blatent pathos>

I can confirm that it is indeed the Mike Morton Congregation. He also released albums as the Mike Morton Sounds.

The question is - who is he? I've been trying to find out as much as I can about him - an old college music lecturer by the name of Ray Fenwick (writer of the Magpie themetune) claimed to have known him, but he was known for his outlandish claims, so I'm not sure of the truth in his bold statement..

I consider my Mike Morton record collection to be the epitome of tacky vinyl - so bad that they're fabulous.. If anyone has any information about the elusive man, then write to this forum!

Here's the info about my three Mike Morton LPs..

The Mike Morton Congregation - 'Nonstop Top 20'
                            Plexium Records - 1971

Mike Morton Congregation:
                            George Chisholm - Trumpet
                            Barbara Kay - Lead/Backing Vox
                            Jeanie Dee - Lead/Backing Vox
                            Pat Marshall - Saxes, Backing Vox
                            Harry Friar - Bass
                            Nicky North - Lead Vox, Piano/Organ
                            Norman Fripp - Trombone (any relation to Robert?)
                            George Patterson - Trumpet, Backing Vox
                            Mike Giles - Drums/Percussion
                            Bob Scragg - Trombone (a pseudonym of Boz Scaggs?)
                            Martin Jay - Lead Vox, Guitar
                            Verdi Stuart - Lead Vocals, Trumpet
                            Sharon Winters - Lead/Backing Vox

The Mike Morton Sounds - 20 Non-Stop Party Hits
                            RCA Records, 1972

Mike Morton - Non Stop Party Show
                            (30 great sounds! - As Seen on TV)
                            Aries - 1972
                            mike morton was originally the mike morton group. they were a support to the johnny howard band at the orchid purley in the 70s. They became a band when howard left and added brass. actually they were a good sound. Their lead singer was Alex Keen who did cover records notably gene pitney covers. he left and was on Stephanie de sykes record born with a smile on my faceand appeared get this on wheel tappers and shunters social club wow. he released a record called one day in your life buy andy williams released a version to. oh dear. they became the m morton congregation to record sound track for burning bridges hope this fills in some blanks

Comment

Originally posted by upandatem View Post
                              mike morton was originally the mike morton group. they were a support to the johnny howard band at the orchid purley in the 70s. They became a band when howard left and added brass. actually they were a good sound. Their lead singer was Alex Keen who did cover records notably gene pitney covers. he left and was on Stephanie de sykes record born with a smile on my faceand appeared get this on wheel tappers and shunters social club wow. he released a record called one day in your life buy andy williams released a version to. oh dear. they became the m morton congregation to record sound track for burning bridges hope this fills in some blanks

the single shows the artist as Combination, not Congregation

new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Working...
                              X