Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Peter / Westbrook / Deram querie...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone's still interested, the Westbrook Concert Band performed what was billed as a 'multi-media show' entitled Original Peter as part of BBC2's 'Reviews' programme in the summer of 1970. It was shown at least twice; I don't have the date for the first transmission, but the second was on August 22nd. (This info was in Time Out and Jazz Journal.)
    Must grade overall visually at least as Good minus!!! (graded STRICTLY to the UK RRPG standards, not overgraded AT ALL!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by glengowla View Post
      If anyone's still interested, the Westbrook Concert Band performed what was billed as a 'multi-media show' entitled Original Peter as part of BBC2's 'Reviews' programme in the summer of 1970. It was shown at least twice; I don't have the date for the first transmission, but the second was on August 22nd. (This info was in Time Out and Jazz Journal.)
      25th April 1970 - was the first transmission:

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/7e823a26b...577f3063f57b67

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
        Might take a bit longer than 3 years...

Jazzman's re-issuing it (the 45 version) with John Cameron "Troublemaker" on the flip.
        Nice... we have the bog standard Original Peter 45 and also John Cameron OG 45

Comment

I have now obtained a DVD of the entire Original Peter programme, dated April 25th 1970. It's in colour, and features the Mike Westbrook Concert Band with Norma Winstone performing in a TV studio surrounded by circus performers, wrestlers, gymnasts etc, as well as lots of shots of schoolchildren, London buses etc, and odd snippets of cardboard cut-outs of bearded band members in various locations. All in all, it's about the most early 70s thing I've ever seen, and a far better expenditure of the licence payer's money than... well, I won't get started. Amongst other things, they play Magic Garden and an epic Original Peter. Lasts exactly 30 minutes. Whew!
          Must grade overall visually at least as Good minus!!! (graded STRICTLY to the UK RRPG standards, not overgraded AT ALL!!!)

Comment

I have now obtained a DVD of the entire Original Peter programme, dated April 25th 1970. It's in colour, and features the Mike Westbrook Concert Band with Norma Winstone performing in a TV studio surrounded by circus performers, wrestlers, gymnasts etc, as well as lots of shots of schoolchildren, London buses etc, and odd snippets of cardboard cut-outs of bearded band members in various locations. All in all, it's about the most early 70s thing I've ever seen, and a far better expenditure of the licence payer's money than... well, I won't get started. Amongst other things, they play Magic Garden and an epic Original Peter. Lasts exactly 30 minutes. Whew!
            Nice work - a mate at the Beeb perchance?

Comment

Bloody hell.

In a good way.

Bloody hell.

Comment

Yeah, bloody hell.
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Very well done Original Peter makes me feel a bit uneasy for some reason but that's good!
                  Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

If anyone else wants a copy of the Original Peter DVD (ie the Mike Westbrook Concert Band live in a BBC studio in 1970, surrounded by acrobats etc), PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guy who made my copy - he's happy to oblige, at cost... and the provenance is superb!

Comment

Well done finding a copy of Original Peter at the BBC. I was a member of 'The Welfare State' the theatre company working with Mike on a number of concert+event projects in the UK. We had a F.A.B. time getting this one together for LIVE TV in BBC TC Studio One - the largest TV studio in Europe at the time. The producers flipped after the second rehearsal as they did not understand our inventive free/form process and they were advised to swap the normal LE studio camera crew for sports camera operators used to'live' events and "catching the shot". They upped the cameras to I think 5 and stacked the control room with extra staff to pre-select camera feeds then pass these to the final desk for live edit. We had other BBC moments. I remember Union issues when we wanted a BBC painter to be on camera blue screen painting live. It had never been asked for before. Painters are not in Equity the performers union.

Yes I would like a copy very much.

jcgettingyounger@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jcgettingyounger View Post
                        Well done finding a copy of Original Peter at the BBC. I was a member of 'The Welfare State' the theatre company working with Mike on a number of concert+event projects in the UK. We had a F.A.B. time getting this one together for LIVE TV in BBC TC Studio One - the largest TV studio in Europe at the time. The producers flipped after the second rehearsal as they did not understand our inventive free/form process and they were advised to swap the normal LE studio camera crew for sports camera operators used to'live' events and "catching the shot". They upped the cameras to I think 5 and stacked the control room with extra staff to pre-select camera feeds then pass these to the final desk for live edit. We had other BBC moments. I remember Union issues when we wanted a BBC painter to be on camera blue screen painting live. It had never been asked for before. Painters are not in Equity the performers union.

Yes I would like a copy very much.

jcgettingyounger@gmail.com
                        Congratulations - you've won "post of the week' award!
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://m.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine54/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                          Congratulations - you've won "post of the week' award!
                          of the month !!
                          Rockwell
                          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Wesbrook produced a series of large band LPs. Composing alone, bringing a great team of musicians over to rehearse and record the new work. They then had a limited tour - fascinating to hear the work 'live' and expand in the solos. This was remember the concert/LP experience we used to know. Mike I think won the Melody Maker best modern composer of the year twice with these pieces. After the recording/tour the big band split again into their individual lives to come back together the next year for another cycle. a VERY creative time of the best with the best.

Yes Norma had a F.A.B. voice but so did Phil Minton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Minton. Phil also worked with The Welfare State with our marching band and at large scale commissioned special events.

As did Lol Coxhill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lol_Coxhill. I remember working up some fantastic multi-layer tape loops of Lol's favorite alto sax (no digital then) free form blows. One tape loop was at least 12m. Loop over loop and only 4 track gear - inventive times. This track was used in support of a massive outdoor Welfare State event in Birmingham. In a large open ground city center site (waiting development) we JCB dug a number of pits and buried car wrecks within all joined by a (buried) steel cable. We then on Q used our 30 ton Army Surplus winch to pull them out of the ground. Yes old-school not special effects. These where the times.

More adventures in a few weeks. bfn

Comment

Wonderful to hear about those times - thanks very much for sharing the memories.

Comment

I'm fairly confident I saw one of those Westbrook 'Original Peter' broadcasts as a youngster and 1970 sounds about right. I would have caught it just by chance. I have a hazy recollection of loads of catchy riffing and stage mayhem with acrobats etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X