Charley Says - background music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charley Says - background music

Anyone here got the 'Charley Says - Volume 2' set?

I got the combo of Vol 1 & Vol 2 from play.com last week for a bargain £5.99. Highly recommended on a nostalgia tip and with that retro angle in mind, I'm sure plenty on here will have it.

Anyway, on disk 2, aside from the din of barrels being scraped, there's a promo for the RAF's parachute/skydiving team (read: lunatics), the Red Devils. The music on here sounds like some John Cameron/KPM-type business and I wondered if anyone knows exactly what it is and where it may be found.

On a side note, how on earth did the government(s) ever get away with the Protect and Survive bollocks on disk 1? "If you are covered in radioactive dust, brush it off and change your clothing as soon as possible" - yes, if your hands haven't fucking melted!!! And I suppose it didn't really matter that the fall-out all-clear alert was virtually inaudible, seeing as no bugger would have been around to hear it anyway! Good grief.

Such innocent times. Of course, we'd never let a government lie to us like that nowadays.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo
    On a side note, how on earth did the government(s) ever get away with the Protect and Survive bollocks on disk 1? "If you are covered in radioactive dust, brush it off and change your clothing as soon as possible" - yes, if your hands haven't fucking melted!!! And I suppose it didn't really matter that the fall-out all-clear alert was virtually inaudible, seeing as no bugger would have been around to hear it anyway! Good grief.

Such innocent times. Of course, we'd never let a government lie to us like that nowadays.
    You seen that documentary (though the director calls it a horror-comedy) Atomic Café? It's about the atomic bomb with loads and loads of insane clips from military instruction films and such. "Duck and cover"... scary and at the same time very funny - though the laughter gets stuck in the throat a bit because it's all very very real and very very deadly...
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Anyone here got the 'Charley Says - Volume 2' set?

True, but what government wants to show a film that says 'if you hear the air attack warning kill your family immediately before killing yourself - after the attack all that will be left for you is a slow, lingering, painful death without any assistance or, at best, an unimaginably miserable existence in a shattered world where civillisation has descended back to the stone age and the water, air and earth are all fatally toxic. Oh, and by the way, all future generations will be horribly mutated.'?

And now back to our regular programming with Lenny Bennett and his Lucky Ladders...
      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Right on GK! and take an extra sweetie from the jar for the mention of Lenny Bennett good work fella!

The Beeb website has been running a series regarding the public information films of the 70's and earlier this week it ws the turn of "Protect And Survive" - but I can't stream the video here at work and so was unable to "enjoy" its merits again...

.. can you all remember "Threads"...? (I bet Vibra can!) .. an image of a melting milkbottle comes to mind, please don't ask why... I was about 13 and it scared the living bejesus out of me...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Anyway, on disk 2, aside from the din of barrels being scraped, there's a promo for the RAF's parachute/skydiving team (read: lunatics), the Red Devils. The music on here sounds like some John Cameron/KPM-type business and I wondered if anyone knows exactly what it is and where it may be found.
          It's two KPM tracks by David Lindup welded together - the first one is 'Acquital' from KPM 1055 'Dramatic Background' (also used in The Sweeney and Deep Throat!), the other one is 'Mystique Beauty' from 'Gentle Sounds vol 3'.

Now, who's got the 'Diamonds are for Danger' music?

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture

.. can you all remember "Threads"...? (I bet Vibra can!) .. an image of a melting milkbottle comes to mind, please don't ask why... I was about 13 and it scared the living bejesus out of me...
            It was repeated a few months ago (probably on BBC 4, can't remember) and I foolishly watched it again to see if it was as terminally grim, depressing and horrifying as I remembered it. Yep.
            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
              Moi aussi - I was getting some money out of a cash machine on the Moor in Sheffield, looked up and shit myself when I realised that was where they filmed the scene where the bomb hits and everyone sees the mushroom cloud.

By the way, I only figuratively shit myself. Since being toilet trained, I have literally shit myself only once, and it's a long and involved story that involves Christopher Ecclestone and some dodgy pastrami.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen
                I have literally shit myself only once, and it's a long and involved story that involves Christopher Ecclestone and some dodgy pastrami.
                .. why does that not surprise me...

"Doctor Poo" perhaps... ho!
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Good work Thames. You do scare me however!! Doesn't it hurt your head to have so much knowledge in there?!!

As for Threads, scared me a bunch too. I remember the post-apocalyptic birth scene where the lass bites through her umbilical cord - minging!!

It was alright though cos soon after, we saw the female lead (the girl's Mum) had survived and got a job as Johnny Briggs' teacher.

Hurrah!!
                  Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

By the way, I only figuratively shit myself. Since being toilet trained, I have literally shit myself only once...
                    I pride myself on being surrounded by such eloquence...
                    stretchy eyes..........

Comment

Moi aussi - I was getting some money out of a cash machine on the Moor in Sheffield, looked up and shit myself when I realised that was where they filmed the scene where the bomb hits and everyone sees the mushroom cloud.
                      ha ha, i work on The Moor....now that's grim and depressing
                      http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin hatton
                        ha ha, i work on The Moor....now that's grim and depressing
                        Did you see that Sid James game that was in the Charity Shop window opposite McDonalds about six months ago? It looked incredible.
                        I (figuratively) shit myself and went for some cash. I came back seven minutes later and it was gone.

Sorry about all the shit references by the way, I've been greatly affected by the death of Jack Wild.

Comment

Good work Thames. You do scare me however!! Doesn't it hurt your head to have so much knowledge in there?!!
                          Oh yes, it's terrifying - if you see a mushroom cloud just above Basingstoke, it's not an A-bomb....it's my head exploding after feeding in the track details of one library LP too many!

I've never seen Threads and I don't intend to, as everyone who's seen it seems to be traumatised by it (the trailer was scary enough for me!). I did borrow a copy from my university library and made a copy for someone, though - it left him pretty shocked, and this is someone who quite happily watched that video of real life executions! So no Threads for me......

Threads is, however, responsible for my favourite entry on IMDB ever:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1856457/

What a career! (I believe she's a drama teacher in Sheffield these days.....)

Comment

Did you see that Sid James game that was in the Charity Shop window opposite McDonalds about six months ago? It looked incredible.
                            I (figuratively) shit myself and went for some cash. I came back seven minutes later and it was gone.

Sorry about all the shit references by the way, I've been greatly affected by the death of Jack Wild.
                            didn't see that, reckon i'd have made a dash for the cash machine myself though!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                              Threads is, however, responsible for my favourite entry on IMDB ever:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1856457/

What a career!

Comment

Working...
                              X