Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non music related post

Hello all

I hope you had a pleasant Friday and Saturday and are enjoying whats left of Sunday.

I also hope you dont mind me making a non
    breakbeatrarecouldthisbealanhawkshaw post on here.

I've got a friend visiting from Holland in a few weeks and as there is fuck (or should that be fook?) all to do in Newmarket on a Sunday I've decided a trip to that there London might be the order of the day.

As she has never been there before I thought we'd start at Camden Market and then probably jump on the boat to Little Venice (or vica versa), grab a bite to eat somewhere and then.....I've drawn a blank.

Anywhere else worth visiting north of the river on a Sunday? I'm expecting it to rain at some point (well we are owed about 3 weeks worth aren't we?) so scenic strolls on Primrose Hill etc are out of the question I would have thought.

Right now back to proper talk.

I picked up an LP by Buzzy Linhart called 'Music' at a booter last week and it's got a cracking little track called 'Mother's Red Light' on it. Anyone else know this?
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Tate Modern ?
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Yeah could be a good idea mate - stroll along the South Bank, London Eye etc

Cheers

Mind you I'm a bit too much of a philistine when it comes to the Tate Modern. Last time I was there, 80% of the stuff displayed I thought was cobblers. Have you made it across to the Baltic yet? Any cop?

Er actually, I'd better save this type of conversation for when I give you a bell next.

Anyway, London Vulture residents I await your tips.
      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

I would say avoid camden dude - unless you like fighting hoards of 15 yr old avrill lavern-goth-a-likes

I think the tate modern would be cool - the view in the bar at the top is amazing. The london eye is very boring.

You know i would think spitafields market would be cool - girls always love shopping and there are about 3 record stalls there Rustler should still be there too.

Have fun!
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Don&#39;t forget Greenwich, there is the market on Sundays and lots of little cool shops. There is a boat that arrives at Greenwich pier by the Cutty sark but I&#39;m not sure where you take it from.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Aug. 31 2003,17:14)]Hello all

I hope you had a pleasant Friday and Saturday and are enjoying whats left of Sunday.

I also hope you dont mind me making a non
            breakbeatrarecouldthisbealanhawkshaw post on here.

I&#39;ve got a friend visiting from Holland in a few weeks and as there is fuck (or should that be fook?) all to do in Newmarket on a Sunday I&#39;ve decided a trip to that there London might be the order of the day.

As she has never been there before I thought we&#39;d start at Camden Market and then probably jump on the boat to Little Venice (or vica versa), grab a bite to eat somewhere and then.....I&#39;ve drawn a blank.
            Back to your&#39;s mate

some people eh
            Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Aug. 31 2003,17:57)]Yeah could be a good idea mate - stroll along the South Bank, London Eye etc

Cheers

Mind you I&#39;m a bit too much of a philistine when it comes to the Tate Modern. Last time I was there, 80% of the stuff displayed I thought was cobblers. Have you made it across to the Baltic yet? Any cop?

Er actually, I&#39;d better save this type of conversation for when I give you a bell next.

Anyway, London Vulture residents I await your tips.
              True &#33; The Baltic is fantastic but i&#39;m not down with whoevers curating, theres been some proper shite on &#33; Awesome building though, Gateshead is really flourishing at the moment, be overshadowing Newcastle soon if they don&#39;t get their shit together.

Have fun  

and shit &#33; that Jade 45 i got this morning is fookin&#39; marvelous &#33;
              SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Cheers for the tips Sermad &amp; Ilmod, most appreciated.

I haven&#39;t been to Camden for ages. It was full of Japanese girls buying 70&#39;s ski jackets last time I was there and Keb Darge had a stall selling tapes and 7&quot;s.

Sorry to hear about the goth/nu-metal takeover, mind you I might nip by, it&#39;ll remind me of visiting Kensington Market in the 80&#39;s. Now where&#39;s that Robert Smith or Wayne Hussey icon?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Aug. 31 2003,22:30)]Cheers for the tips Sermad &amp; Ilmod, most appreciated.

Don&#39;t mention it hayd
                  Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (jammin @ Aug. 31 2003,21:48)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Aug. 31 2003,22:30)]Cheers for the tips Sermad &amp; Ilmod, most appreciated.

Oi Jammin&#33;

I couldn&#39;t say if I would take your advice, as &#39;a gentleman never tells&#39;

Ah&#33; well now....

Anyway, what are you doing posting on the board? There must be a 24 hour car boot sale on in Holland or Belgium you are missing. You bloody lucky continentals&#33;

Comment

Actually dude portobello market might be better as there are zillions of nice eateries - still a healthy supply of record shops, stuff to gawk at - a lot of tourists so sometimes you walk at a snails pace but its nice just to sit and watch the world go by&#33;

Seriously camden is a f*cking sess pit - loads of drugs pushers hassling you - well it was until the police actually bothered to do something. By the bridge it used to be terrible. There might even be a record fair in the electric ballroom (maybe thats saturday?).

But 5 mins walk and your in primose hill, which restores faith that there are some nice parts of london.
                      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

agree with all these guys - forget Camden, it&#39;s now like King&#39;s Cross used to be.

llmod1 has a great idea there - if you want to do it in style, start in Greenwich, have a look round the park and Observatory maybe, then down to the Cutty Sark and get on the ferry up the Thames and get off near Westminster, then over the river and walk down the South Bank past the London Eye, RFH, National Theatre... stop for a beer and some grub at Gabriel&#39;s Walk, then continue East along the Thames past the Globe, Tate Modern, Borough Market, Golden Hind... if the weather&#39;s good&#33;
                        http://www.blaxploitation.com
                        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

there&#39;s also the Tate Britain - (i.e. the old Tate) less busy and there&#39;s a Bridget Riley exhibition on at the moment...

Camden record fairs are 1st Sat of month this year (will be changing next year) but i&#39;ve not been for ages, since the number of dealers has fallen dramatically. it clashes with too many other fairs elsewhere on the 1st saturday i think

Comment

Once again, thanks for the tips lads&#33;

I&#39;ve always prefered Portobello to Camden, but I thought the former wasn&#39;t on Sundays? Maybe thats changed....

I think I will go for the Greenwich, South Bank route and maybe try to fit in Spitalfields too.

Perhaps we could add a new section to the site? &#39;Vultures Romantic Walks Of London&#39; for vinyl nerds like me who know where every record shop is but couldn&#39;t find a good restaurant even if they were sitting in it?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Sep. 01 2003,00:15)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (jammin @ Aug. 31 2003,21:48)]
                              Originally posted by [b

Oi Jammin&#33;

I couldn&#39;t say if I would take your advice, as &#39;a gentleman never tells&#39;

Ah&#33; well now....

Anyway, what are you doing posting on the board? There must be a 24 hour car boot sale on in Holland or Belgium you are missing. You bloody lucky continentals&#33;
                              Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

Working...
                              X