Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kpm question

Hi all,

this is something I have been pondering over for a number of years. I have a number of early KPM lp's that don't have the famous green cover like the later records did, but a white cover with about 10 seperate photos on them. One of a cameraman, a mike, a woman, some lights, etc etc.... Then I have the same issues with the green cover Are these early picture ones rarer? Were they released from another country?
    Also regardng CHAPPELL, are the vinyl 78's 10 inch records worth picking up? Are they worth more $$$$??

David
    God bless Fatso.

The early 1000 series issues came in these sleeves, and presumably are rarer, though whether it adds anything to the value I don't know.

There are certainly good things to be found on the Chappell 78s - they were doing them until 1969, but I doubt they're too valuable, given how hard it is to find anything to play them on. Try looking for the later ones - there's some excellent Johnny Hawksworth tracks about, although I think they all appeared on LP eventually.

Comment

I dont think issue of libraries really affects the prices unless its a 10" first / 12" second affair.

As for 78's I would think if you found the right person then they could be worth something but I would think not to be honest. Rather like those southern 45's I saw...
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

What Southern 45s? What was on them, then?
        The sound quality on their 78s is amazing, by the way&#33;

Comment

well there was this guy in the states who worked in the music production industry for many years - he had some things on ebay so I mailed him. Turns out he had the entire catalogue of dewolfe and southerns. Anyways he had about 200 southern 45&#39;s. I didnt want them as they ended in &#39;65 so I presumed it was orchestral or jazz which is not my cup of tea. Shame as I&#39;ll never see those again&#33;

He did send me copies of the master tapes of vocal shades and tones, stringtronics and many many more lps though&#33; All in stereo&#33;

Comment

What the original masters?, blimmin&#39; &#39;eck, thats some find, nice mate.:O
            derelicts of dialect

Comment

wouldn&#39;t they be the tapes clients bought after choosing the tracks they wanted from the LPs? i thought the idea was the LPs were more like an (expensive) catalogue of what was available, and when actually needing a high quality recording they&#39;d get a reel of tape...?

Comment

Well, Sermad did say &#39;Master tapes&#39; which i think kind of implies the original 24/16 track 2&#39;&#39; or quater inch reels, the 2&#39;&#39; tapes are bloody huge and weigh a ton while the quaters are much more managable, they also have to be looked after VERY carefully, i&#39;m sure Serm knows what he&#39;s got there.
                derelicts of dialect

Comment

i thought so too, but it sounded too good to be true...

Comment

yep they are 1/4&quot; tapes - I said copies remember&#33;

They sound fantastic actually. Not a too shabby find.

Comment

Working...
                    X