Funky football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky football

I was recently given a copy of Manchester City FC's stirring 1972 single "Boys in Blue". And guess what? The B-Side, "Funky City", is a fantastic funk instrumental.

While I'd like to believe that this was the work of the City lads themselves, closer inspection of the label details reveals it to be the work of the (almost as unlikely) 10cc.

I bet for all their millions the likes of Chelski and United can't boast a lost funk gem.
    Endless Tripe

Picked up a copy of this last week, highly recommended.

The funkiest one I've heard so far for my lot (Southampton.. eh Ben eh &#33 is the version of 'Oh When The Saints...' by Milton Rhodes & The Archers - an artist that makes much more sense if you are a Saints fan.

Never seen a copy, even after years of looking for it after hearing it on a Cherry red comp.
    Matt Hero

Comment

Bastards. To a man.

Benicio
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I had some small involvement in the spate of football compilations that came out in the late 80s/early 90s, when I was running a football fanzine. We helped Mike Alway compile them, when he was at Cherry Red and then later at el. I don't remember hearing anything remotely funky, so I'll have to keep my peepers peeled for the City tune.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

It's on one of the Exotica 'Bend It' compilations, if that helps.

I'd also like to nominate 'Supporters, Support Us' by the QPR Supporters (on another comp, 'We Can Fly' vol. 1) - a psychedelic classic.

Comment

Psychedelic and funky football tunes?

And I thought the Anfield Rap was the pinnacle of that genre...How wrong I was
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Actually I remember when Rennie Pilgrim was knocking out hardcore versions of &#39;Im forever blowing bubbles&#39;. I would give my back teeth for one of them&#33; haha. We&#39;ll be back in the premo next year...come on you hammers&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Bastards. To a man.

Benicio

Watch it Benny boy, or I&#39;ll set all of the Vulture &quot;Saints&quot; fans onto ya (and there a a few if I remember correctly) &#33;&#33;&#33;

I&#39;m in Notts for a hour or two on Friday lunchtime, you about bud ??

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

how about the gazza record ....

Comment

Comment

jesus pokester baby you know that?

Cripes that was some evil record svengali that came up with that idea.

Comment

It&#39;s even worse than hoddle &amp; waddle on top of the pops...

Comment

... Diamond Lights....      and two of the worst &quot;technicolour yawn&quot; jumpers ever...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Or was it &quot;Diamond Nights&quot;... ??

(this concussion I got is really playing havoc with the memory banks...)

Comment

ooof. Diamond Lights was genius (in a sooooo utterly piss poor that its kitsch as hell way).

Who can forget Kevin Keegans &#39;Head over heels in love&#39; (actually I can as I was a sprog at the time) but I do remember that Who the f**k is alice song

Who else...Didnt ron atkinson turn up on stars in their eys as frank sinatra...??? The mind boggles&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X