Lulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lulu

Can any of you fellas tell me the names of the Lulu LPs worth checking - I've never remembered which are the ones... What was the one she made with the Alman Brothers?

http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

"New Routes" on Atco is alright, has some funk to it... I've never really liked her voice very much to be honest though.

Comment

Okay, for the purposes of general edification and hilarity I was trying to find an image of one that you DON'T want - where she's rocking the leopard-spot leotards and tennis headband on the cover...

...but all I could find was this:

Comment

'To sir, with love' includes the Fatboy sampled 'Love loves to love'.

Drops quite nicely given the right occasion.

Comment

I can see that Lulu is an acquired taste, but I think she's up there as one of the best British blues voices with Elkie and Dusty.

The aforementioned New Routes is very good, Melody Fair is good and rather like The Heaven, The Earth And The Stars, which is the one with her version of The Man Who Sold The World on it.

I met her once, when she was recording Relight My Fire with Take That. Apparently she's into younger men. My eyes lit up. As did my hopes. She was more interested in my friend's dog. Oh well.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I was going to drop 'Move To My Rhythm' from Melody Fair at the last Fresh Brillo and if I get some deck time this Monday I'll play it then. The rest of the LP has a bit more of a slow, soul feel to it. Definitely pick up 'New Routes' and 'Stop Fooling Around' (as nicked for that alcopops ad) is good but I only have that on 45, I don't know if it made it on to an LP?
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

She's got one of those 'fingernails down a blackboard' type voices, you either like or dont.
              derelicts of dialect

Comment

Comment

I found 'Love Loves To Love' on a seven inch today. I thought it was only an album track but it's also the b-side to 'You And I'.

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]I can see that Lulu is an acquired taste, but I think she's up there as one of the best British blues voices with Elkie and Dusty.
                  What are the good Elkie Brooks tracks, lbg? I picked up another one of her albums today ('Two Days Away&#39 but I haven't listened to it properly yet.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Sep. 04 2003,16:39)]I found 'Love Loves To Love' on a seven inch today. I thought it was only an album track but it's also the b-side to 'You And I'.

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]I can see that Lulu is an acquired taste, but I think she's up there as one of the best British blues voices with Elkie and Dusty.
                    What are the good Elkie Brooks tracks, lbg? I picked up another one of her albums today ('Two Days Away&#39 but I haven't listened to it properly yet.
                    Ditto that request - we need to know!  Her voice would be perfect for some folky, funky numbers...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

thrice ditto...
                      i always see just Pearls, Pearls II and that one with the plane on the front which has the cover of 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' (is that done in 4/4? i forget. if so, then beats St Et to the idea...)

Comment

there's a lulu track i really love, called "try to understand" - i've got it on 45, so i don't know which album it's from.

i wouldn't say it's funky, but it's very soluful and it's got this huge decca production with crashing pianos and drums. i think it sounds completely "joyous" if you know what i mean.

we used it as our first record at our wedding (the wife and i did a "first dj set" rather than a first dance. it avoids any lady-in-red-isms).

Comment

Live and Learn by Elkie Brooks has a couple of half decent tracks, one called The Rising Cost of Love

Comment

Re: Elkie Brooks. The album you've just got, Blighty, has got a really good tune on it called Spiritland. Another album, Shooting Star, has got a decent version of As on it, and a shit version of Only Love Can Break Your Heart.

Live & Learn has a killer version (half-decent, Illmod?&#33 of Rising Cost Of Love, which soul fans will probably know through the Cut Glass version. I think it's better than Cut Glass. It's got Paulinho Da Costa on percussion, James Gadson on drums, Tower of Power horn section, produced by Lieber & Stoller, with a string arranged by Dave Crawford (Candi Staton etc.). And even better (re-edited) version of this is out on Moton (19, I think).

The Vinegar Joe stuff has always been a bit disappointing to me. Elkie and Robert Palmer together sounds too good to be true and it is.
                            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Actually, I've just listened to this again and it is pretty damn good, I stand corrected!

Comment

Working...
                              X