Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh out of borstal

first up...cheers for the trade chris!

second...anyone know who the players might have been on the 'Fresh out of Borstal' LP? the dialogue about spending their loot on Stay-press and Fred Perry's is priceless too...very nice to finally have a copy.

I'd always assumed that the band were, as the sleeve suggests.... but the joke had always been that Simon Napier- Bell (later the manager of Wham! ) thought that they looked as if they has just been released from borstal, hence the 'concept'. Such as it is.

Any idea what the going rate is for the 'Fresh' lp by the way ?
    Matt Hero

Comment

There was a copy of this in my local record shop a few years back and I'd keep going in a flicking past it in the racks and thinking 'that looks like it might be interesting' but I never bother to actually listen to it. Then I finally heard some snippets from the album and shot down to the record shop and it had been sold. I've yet to see another copy.  

Comment

cant believe the actual music has anything to do with those mugshots on the sleeve-for one thing there are 3 of them and drums, bass, guitar & organ adds up to four...has to be a session band i reckon, but wadoeynow! hope the players didnt have to 'bend' for mr Napier-Bell!

i last saw a copy for sale on the wall in Vox Pop...overpriced as usual...they wanted £25...but they also want that for run of the mill stuff, so its no guide really...

Comment

The copy I kept passing on was a fiver.

'This fucking tool!!'

Comment

I remember seeing this up on the bay and the seller was claiming that this was a rolling stones side project or somthing like that, not sure about that myself though.

I passed up a cheap copy of it mysef a few years ago and severely regret it so you are not alone in your pain Blighty

Comment

Bugger.  I used to have the breakdown of the project that Angus Batey mailed to the Crates list in my mailbox, but I can't load them into Outlook now I've changed jobs, so a fat lot of use that is...

If I manage to rescue them I'll let you know what he said.
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Hehe.. nice Avatar Boon!
                Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

i remember something about some Rolling Stones involvement too... shame the Crates list was never archived anywhere, well shame about some of it anyway! can get all the stupid arguments still over at that certain other US messageboard...

Comment

As a breaks record goes, I'd say it delivers... (luke vibert even sampled the vocals for his latest album on ninja tune) but as for enjoyment, listening all the way through takes a pretty strong stomach.

Comment

I remember I read an article on the fresh outta borstal lp, but I've forgot most of it's content. It might have been on the crateslist acouple of years ago.
                      I've found 3 or 4 copies cheap here in Norway, and I think I got a spare one for trade if anyones interested (I'll have to take a look just to be sure if I still got it). Blackalicious sampled the hornstabs at the end of the track with the breaks.

Comment

Fresh - Out of Borstal !

I owned this album way back when, and remember clearly that several tracks were written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richard. I remember a great track called "Fighting, Kicking, Spitting Woman" among others. I think the band was a gathering rather than a performing outfit, and wouldn't be surpirsed if KR and MJ were actually covering their own involvement. I grew up near a borstal in Surrey, and knew loads of youngsters in that sort of environment. The album seemed pretty authentic lyrically, and the music was clearly agressive, but I still think it was a project, rather than the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by handcorkscrew View Post
                          As a breaks record goes, I'd say it delivers... (luke vibert even sampled the vocals for his latest album on ninja tune) but as for enjoyment, listening all the way through takes a pretty strong stomach.
                          I heard an unidentified track on a DJ Food mix, and immediately thought it sounded like the work of Vibert, and now I read this!

Does the Vibert track in question have an addictive child-like melody, sort of trip-hop thing?

Comment

skinheads, bnp theres a definite theme on v v today
                            'Swear I am evil when Ive had a few'

Comment

shut it you dock worker scab.
                              I know your game Lionel! I can see what you really are!

Comment

Working...
                              X