Anyone from nottingham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone from nottingham?

Does Arcade still exist? If it does, is Jonathan Woodliffe still working there? The number I have for him is out of service and I'm trying get in contact.
    http://www.djhistory.com

LBG, dunno the name of the shop, but there was a small unit in West End arcade selling vinyl (run by a really nice guy who's name I don't know either) next door to a biggish metal/goth shop. If that's the one you mean, both units are now empty - a shame, as he had some decent stock & was always good for a chat about records of a Saturday afternoon. He may be carrying on elsewhere (I suspect he sublet from the metal store) but there are no notices to say where from...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

God, listen to the fake-ass Nottingham boy!!

Arcade closed down a couple of years ago as the entire Chapel Bar area was bought out by a hotel chain. The hotel is due to open early next year and only Fat Cat of the businesses that were previously there will be returning.

Haven't seen or heard of Jonathan since Arcade closed, but I presume that he must still be deejaying someplace, so maybe if you keep an eye on the flyers for the more soulful gatherings, you may catch his name. Failing that, I would imagine that Rob has his contact somewhere in his piles of shite, maybe the lads down at Funky Monkey would as well?

The chap in West End Arcade is supposedly returning. Last time I spoke to him he had big plans of opening a couple of units worth of records. If anyone wants to contact him, try his wifey who runs the unit that sells bridesmaid's clothing and beanie babies.

Sources are dwindling fast in Nottingham it would seem! Rob is disappearing fast beneath his toxic waste dump (entirely unaided by his brother Peter aka The Gimp). Selectadisc still flies the flag and The Duke still gets good stuff in then seemingly rubs it with a brillo pad before writing on it that it plays VG, then there's Good Vibrations where you can find something nice once in a blue moon (hiding behind all the 70s/80s AOR). Not quite the vinyl utopia we'd wish for!

Benicio
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Ah, the fake-ass Nottingham boy, he say "so Arcade Records wasn't in an Arcade, and the shop in the Arcade wasn't Arcade Records". Bloody hell, what is with this town & logic, eh? Too many alcopops & malibu chasers, not enough records...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I managed to track him down. He's working for a pressing plant nowadays. Actually, I was trying to geti n touch with Colin Curtis, but I know Jonathan's a big mate. Convoluted, I know.

Comment

Oh why didn't you say! Colin Curtis! Of course. Never heard of him!

Anyway, Arcade Records was originally in West End Arcade and for years was the key reason why Nottingham had such a good reputation in the UK HipHop community. I think it occupied that unit where there is now a '18 and Over' place, but it's a long time ago so I could be wrong, I reckon it must have moved in the late 80s.

Wayne, have you been as far in as the other metal shop? Did you have a look at the LPs that the bloke next door to the Army Surplus unit has? He makes it hard work as far as getting to them goes, and he always tries to discourage you, but when he first opened a couple of summers ago, he had e.g. a couple of copies of 'Movements' so you can't ignore the fella.

As it's Friday tomorrow, I'll be tapping my secret squirrel (yeah, right&#33 source. I look forward to yet another day of disappointment!!

Benicio
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Sep. 04 2003,18:53)]Oh why didn't you say! Colin Curtis! Of course. Never heard of him!
              You've never heard of Colin Curtis? Peasant.

Comment

SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Sep. 04 2003,18:53)]Wayne, have you been as far in as the other metal shop? Did you have a look at the LPs that the bloke next door to the Army Surplus unit has? He makes it hard work as far as getting to them goes, and he always tries to discourage you, but when he first opened a couple of summers ago, he had e.g. a couple of copies of 'Movements' so you can't ignore the fella.
                  Yeah, oddly enough I found him before most others, and struck good on an OG US press of Roberta Flack's first LP for a fiver, and had a few other nice bits off him over the next couple of months. Over the last few months, though, his prices seem to have risen in direct proportion with the inaccessibility of his stock, so I haven't bothered for awhile...

And good to know (a) that there was, originally, some logic to 'Arcade Records' not being in an arcade, and (b) that the guy from the arcade might be back, bigger and better at some point...God knows, we need something here! Especially someone who puts out 'Then There Was Skin' in his 20p box outside the front door...

Comment

Working...
                  X