Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe loss - "top pop party" (or something)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe loss - "top pop party" (or something)

saw a copy of joe loss's top pop party album - at least i think that's what it's called! i wouldn't normally touch his stuff, but it seems there's a version of shaft on there.

anyone else got it?

Somebody did once play me an extremely funky joe loss track, but I'm buggered if I can remember what it was, or which record it was from...very heavy drums, hefty driving rhythm... I've tried about 3 vaguely promising looking LPs (none with 'Shaft' on, though) & still no luck...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

well after that, i cycled back to the shop and picked it up. a belting version of "shaft" with some very nice orchestration going on, an interesting version of "popcorn", a nice little belter of "jesus christ superstar" and a kind of funked-out "day by day", so pretty good all in all.

there's my tip for the day.

Comment

Speaking of version of Shaft, have you heard the Manchester Police Band's (as conducted by professional nutter James Anderton)? It's ace.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

blimey LBG, i haven't!!!

now that would be something!!!

Comment

i collect versions of shaft, there's 2 i'd really like, sammy davis jnr (my mate just beat me to it, the other day) & the 20th century steel bands version (the same mate's got that one as well), wouldn't mind hearing that manchster police band one well.
            I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

So you 'aint heard the Ferrante and Teicher version then?, not too bad actually.
              derelicts of dialect

Comment

iv'e got one called that but it ain't got shaft on it?
                don't really go for old joe albums really..but..
                funny you should bring this up because i went out today
                and got drawn to a couple of charidys picked up..

go easy on yourself...anna dell..gemini
                otto weiss...mr hammond
                otto weiss...now hear this....both on joy records
                and joe loss..big band bossa thought id'e give it a whirl..crap like i was expecting..lol
                look what i found inside the cover..

WOW! joe loss's autograph..lol
                ...mercuryvenusearthmars...

Comment

That's a nice find, lemoncat - I've got Joe's autograph too, but mine's just on a sticky label stuck to the front of the LP, nowhere near as good as that!

I don't think Ol' Joe ever got funky that often, but there's a good track called 'March Of The Voomins' on his 'March Of The Mods' EP, that's a nice bit of 60s big-band beat.

He also did the original version of Alan Moorhouse and Keith Mansfield's 'Let's Kick', with a great tinny guitar solo and its own dance, specially choreographed by Lionel Blair!

Comment

if your an autograph head mr thames pm me your address
                    and i'll send you it if you want there's a newspaper clipping with it as well...
                    phew my heads in bits been playing that crazy balancing game
                    sermad posted up..i got the hat on the snowman in the end
                    a classic
                    ...mercuryvenusearthmars...

Comment

hey lemoncat - that is a find!!! i checked in my joe loss album, but didn't find much apart from a packet of peanuts and a lolly stick from '68.

Comment

Wooly, what are the details on the LP you picked up (label etc) as he seems to've done quite a lot called 'Top Pop Hits/Party' etc...in fact, nearly all his LPs seem to be called some variation on that title. And the 'Let's Kick' is pretty nice (the one I had was in a sort of medley with 'March Of the Mods' on, yes, another LP called 'Joe Loss Plays Top Pop Hits'...) And an original 1968 lolly stick? Get that thing on ebay at once! Bound to be a collector just itching to get hold of it...
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (happy monster @ Sep. 04 2003,18:49)]i collect versions of shaft, there's 2 i'd really like, sammy davis jnr (my mate just beat me to it, the other day) & the 20th century steel bands version (the same mate's got that one as well), wouldn't mind hearing that manchster police band one well.
                          May be able to help you on the Sammy Davis HappyM, i haven't clocked it for years, but i'm sure i've got that kicking around somewhere. Have you got the Westminster silver strings version ?
                          SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

There's a comp with the Sammy Davis 'John Shaft' on it out there, which I passed on only very recently

I seem to remember it was on Polydor, with a very fuzzy sunset-yellow photo on the cover - one of those misty landscape type numbers...

That'll teach me...

Comment

wayne, i see what you mean about all of his albums being (subtle) variations on that title. i just looked at the back of the album sleeve and yes, there are a handful of them listed there for starters.

this one is:

joe loss - pop dance party
                              it's an emi/columbia release (scx 6529) from 1972

Comment

Working...
                              X