Out of the blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of the blue

I only bought this CBS sampler cos it was produced for the Avon Rubber Company, and because it had a Vikki Carr track on, and I think I quite fancy her. Percy Faith representing with Aquarius might be worth a punt too I thought.

Then - Baaam! First track in and it's ill breaks rare - check the tracklist and it's the Lynn Anderson version of PYHITH (i only have one other version I think) so it's all good! Ray Conniff rocking in with some tasty Bridge Over Troubled Water - all tubular bells and close harmony vocals, and the darkest (orchestral) version of '2001' by Leonard Bernstein - all sub bass rumble for about 2 minutes before the refrain started ...

Other finds included : The Alan Tew Orchestra doing the Abba Songbook (not really the madswedishpopdrama it could have been) and 'Uniquely Mancini - New Hits! New Arrangements! by Top Movie-TV Composer' - nice flutey version of 'Green Onions' inna big band style and there's a Paul Nero cover, so we'll see what that's like.

In a fit of '86 nostalgia I picked up 'August' by Eric Clapton, cos it's the album (cassette) I taught my-self to play drums to. And I forget there's an open break on it too! Rock on.

Erm, anyway - back to work  
    FunkyDown
    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Dr Rubberfunk @ Sep. 05 2003,14:51)]I only bought this CBS sampler cos it was produced for the Avon Rubber Company, and because it had a Vikki Carr track on, and I think I quite fancy her. Percy Faith representing with Aquarius might be worth a punt too I thought.

Then - Baaam! First track in and it's ill breaks rare - check the tracklist and it's the Lynn Anderson version of PYHITH (i only have one other version I think) so it's all good! Ray Conniff rocking in with some tasty Bridge Over Troubled Water - all tubular bells and close harmony vocals, and the darkest (orchestral) version of '2001' by Leonard Bernstein - all sub bass rumble for about 2 minutes before the refrain started ...
    Well I never, there are now 2 CBS / Avon Rubber Company Lps, because I have a different one - 'Freewheelin' with tracks by Salena Jones, Peter Nero, Ray Conniff et al one it.

Not as good as your one though I'll have to peek 'em peeled for that one.
    Matt Hero

Comment

I see quite a lot of those Avon Samplers about*, but they're always trashed...makes you wonder what went on behind the lace curtains with all these 'avon' ladies, frankly. Only reggae and kid's LPs seem to turn up consistently in that state, which makes me worry bout what my mum and her mates were getting into under the pretext of buying blue eyeshadow and some bath salts...

*just the same ones mentioned above, not different ones
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 05 2003,15:30)]I see quite a lot of those Avon Samplers about*, but they're always trashed...makes you wonder what went on behind the lace curtains with all these 'avon' ladies, frankly. Only reggae and kid's LPs seem to turn up consistently in that state, which makes me worry bout what my mum and her mates were getting into under the pretext of buying blue eyeshadow and some bath salts...

*just the same ones mentioned above, not different ones
        I don't know what went on your way Wayne, but the Avon Rubber Company didn't do door-to-door tyre deliveries in my street. Avon *Cosmetics*, now that is a different matter....
        Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Sep. 05 2003,15:43)]I don't know what went on your way Wayne, but the Avon Rubber Company didn't do door-to-door tyre deliveries in my street. Avon *Cosmetics*, now that is a different matter....
          That deserves a "lol" fo sho

The Mancini has plenty of those ill stabs that folks seem to like. Me included
          FunkyDown

Comment

I've got that one too.  Always wondered how Avon Rubber thought a compilation of easy listening tunes would promote their wares???
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

got both those Avon tyres ones, never seen them before or since tho, so good to see some of you lot have them. not really listen to them that closely so will have to make a repeat listen - they've been hovering near my 'out' pile for years.

CBS seem to have done this with a few companies - got another from some financial company -all crap though, particularly the Alan Price/Georgie Fame 'Rosetta' - ouch! what were they thinking... i was hoping for tasty double hammond action

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Sep. 05 2003,16:11)]got both those Avon tyres ones, never seen them before or since tho, so good to see some of you lot have them. not really listen to them that closely so will have to make a repeat listen - they've been hovering near my 'out' pile for years.

CBS seem to have done this with a few companies - got another from some financial company -all crap though, particularly the Alan Price/Georgie Fame 'Rosetta' - ouch! what were they thinking... i was hoping for tasty double hammond action
                Yeah, Rosetta is weeeeeeak
                FunkyDown

Comment

When I read the words "Out of the Blue" I was kind of hoping it was going to be a reappraisal of the ELO lp - an overlooked illbreakbeatbluevinyl moment or something.
                  "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I had the same thought as well, Out of the blue was one of the first lps i bought, and yes it is crap ( Mr fookin' blue sky indeed&#33 but i was enthralled by the cover artwork particularly as it was a gatefold affair. Used ter fookin' stare at that fer hours i did. What a fookin' waste of time.

derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Sep. 05 2003,15:43)]I don't know what went on your way Wayne, but the Avon Rubber Company didn't do door-to-door tyre deliveries in my street. Avon *Cosmetics*, now that is a different matter....

Touche, monsieur Hero!

Always just seen the 'Avon' on them & assumed... but I guess it's something of a relief it WAS a different company. All those early 70s jack-the-lad Kwik Fit Fitters putting 'em on to seduce their dolly birds in a Robin Askwith style...

That'd explain the condition much better...
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                      X