This mornings digs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This mornings digs....

Got dragged out of bed at 07:30 this morning by my girlfriend to go to a boot....wasn't in the slightest bit keen, but she's on a real mission to collect all the Sindy items our house will pyhsically hold, so I didn't have a whole heap of choice in the end.

Anyway, was going though some boxes of records and asked the seller how much they were. '£2 for the Lps, but there are some marked higher'.

Now my natural inclination at this point was not to bother. I *very* rarely spend more than a quid on *any* LP from the boot sale, and get a bit sniffy when asked for that amount for a 45. Anyway, found a copy of 'Raunch & Roll' by Black Oak Arkansas and a copy of '666' by Aprodities Child (marked up for £4). I ummed and arrred for a a couple of minutes about it... '£6 for 2 Lps... seems alot of money, I'd normally get a whole *bagful* for that money'.

Then I got a hold of myself, remembered that I'd paid about £25 for that pair of Lps previously, and paid the man the £6. VV really messes up your buying values, I mean in a shop or even a record fair (when I can be arsed with them) I'd have bought them in a heartbeat. I now feel bad for giving Rich such a hard time about spending £6 on a minty copy of the Titanic S/T LP last time we went booting together

Back to the boots in the morning again. I'm going to try and remember this object lesson in not being so mean with money. After all, I did spend £10 on a vase last weekend at the bootsale, and that decision only took me 20 mins !
    Matt Hero

This may sound weird because through a lot of E-mails I have heard people say they are jealous of the finds we get here in the states, but I find myself jealous of the thngs you guys seem to pick up. Between all you Heroes, Ilmod, Sermad, ect I hear and learn about so many LP's that I know I will never run across here in California.
    I mean, Titanic for 6 pounds??? Yes please!
    I shelled out $25 for an ebay lot that had this in it, and it was the only LP in that auction worth owning.
    What this this envious post boils down to is a big congratulations on your finds Matt.

PS I still got some stuff on hold for you. Drop me an E-mail.

Comment

I know where you're coming from matt, recently i've walked away from some bits that were £2 etc only to really kick myself a few days later !
      SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

In my experience I've always regretted walking away from stuff just for the sake of a few quid.You always think 'Bah! I'll pick that up cheaper elsewhere'.Or 'I'll come back next week and think about it'.Then you've lost it.

Carpe Diem.If your taking a punt on something unfamiliar and it's a load of chuff you can always offload...er...I mean trade...yes that's it...trade it on the VV board
        Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

I tend to suffer from this syndrome when it comes to records I already own - mostly Aussie stuff that isn't 'that' hot but only $5 or $6 (read 2-3 quid) ..

do I buy it to develop my trade's pile or not ..

do I work on building a cache of trades for the next time I go to the UK (a few years away, but I might get a 10 quid trade on some of these records) ..

my digs consisted of a Joe Tex record for a dolla and that Bloods Haul number on Now Again (if you like drums, you should peep this one !&#33

hmmm, wheres my coffee at?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (the funky guzzo @ Sep. 06 2003,18:59)]PS I still got some stuff on hold for you. Drop me an E-mail.
            Yeah will do Adam... sorry for the miscommunication and all that.

Ventured out today to the boot. First sale was cancelled when I got there (20 mile round trip to find that out), got the the 2nd one to find that had been cancelled due to 'personal reasons'.

Managed to get to a third one, about 1 1/2 hours later than I'd normally arrive, assuming that I'd get zip because of my late arrival, but got for my tenner (and no meanie moments)... (S = spare)

Gary Numan - Pleasure Principle (Beggars Banquet LP) (S)
            You can't front on those intro drums to 'Films' which is a fine track anyway. So is 'M.E.' too (Basement Jaxx you cheeky bastards).

Alan Tew - Close Encounters (CBS LP) (S)
            Synth drum version of 'The Hanged Man' anybody ?

Barry Gray - Thunderbirds Are Go OST (Silva Screen Re-issue LP)
            Not an OG, but still worth a quid for the loverly artwork.

A Guy Called Gerald - Automanikk (CBS LP)
            Still in the shrink with the bonus 12 of 'Voodoo Ray' inside.

Assagai - Afro Rock (Sounds Superb LP)
            First time I've ever seen this in the wild and a nice clean copy too. Sound like it was recorded in a muddy puddle though, which is a shame.

Locomotive GT - S/T (ABC LP)
            Another first in the wild, only got as far as 'Rock Yourself', but that's worth the admission 50p on it's own.

Elkie Brooks - Live & Learn (A&M LP)
            'Rising Cost Of Love' is indeed a winner, thanks LBG for the tip.

Lou Rawls - You're So Good For Me (EMI LP)
            Another fine Axelrod production, I'm a fan of Mr Rawls voice myself.... still looking for a copy of 'Deadend Street' by the way anyone ? [edit : cracking break on this one too !]

Ike & Tina Turner - The Best Of (UA LP)
            All the hits, all the time.....

12's of 'The Show', 'Say No Go', 'If I Ruled The World', & 'Alice, I Want You Just For Me'.

...so not a bad haul. And my girfriend got a Sindy hospital, so she was happy too
            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Sep. 07 2003,14:56)]Barry Gray - Thunderbirds Are Go OST (Silva Screen Re-issue LP)
              Is this the same tracks as the Cinephile 'No Strings Attached' 10"?
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 07 2003,18:02)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Sep. 07 2003,14:56)]Barry Gray - Thunderbirds Are Go OST (Silva Screen Re-issue LP)
                Is this the same tracks as the Cinephile 'No Strings Attached' 10"?
                I couldn't tell you I'm afraid.... 12 tracks on my version it that is any help ?
                Matt Hero

Comment

Today I went to a big record fair. Got these -

There was a guy with 2 boxes of mint 45's all for a quid so I had a shufty.

Herbie Flowers - Mr Moonlight/I want to be with you - I don't want to be with mr flowers on this one. Utterly awful.

Zappatta Schmidt - You Got The Love/Someone In The Crowd - Not the strongest lp tracks but pretty funky rocker on the flip.

Alley - Tip Toe/Truckload - Again the flipside comes through - very cheesy slow funk.

LPS.

Norrie Paramor - Love at first site - Argh. Complete crap £1

Simon Park - Something in the aie - £1 and well worth it. Quite decent in parts if cathedral funk is your bag

Hot Hits (MFP) - 50p - Well worth getting as the cover of vehicle is really decent. The groovin' with mr blue is ok too. Has a not to exciting intro break and then starts to sound like Queen.

Jerry Garcia - Hooteroll? - £10 - Ive wanted this for ages and I thought I paid a decent price. Nice hammond and rock groovers on this.

Kraan - Andy Nogger - £5 - Again been after something by these german rockers for a while. Loads of heavy rock played pretty funkily in places. Its all ok. Well worth a cheap punt.

Kraan - Let it out - £5 - And in the same box is another! Again mind 70's german rock. Its all ok. I think they have two more lps which are possibly earlier and probably better.

Faust - The Faust Tapes - £Free - More german rock but this time faust tip you over the edge of insansity! Raw as hell ruffed up vocals, fuzz and electronics and a mental soundclash. This is uneasy listening! Imagine John Peel playing the noisiest thing ever!

Nucleus - Direct Hits - £5 - Great way to score some of nucleus best moments - DUSTYFINGEREDHIPHOPRARE of roots, elastic rock, belladonna, solar plexus and more. Still need most of those lps! Yes I know Im behind the times.

Popular guide to stereo - £.50 - A little closers to getting a birds n brass cos this rediffusion sampler the fairly decent 'shaft'.

Sounds orchestral - cast your fate to the wind - £.50 - and I was robbed. Keith mansfield, alan moorehouse and john s can't polish this one.

And thats yer lot. Pretty crappy!

oh and does anyone know an alan price tune which is really decent! It might be with georgie fame but im not sure - really groovy with hammond and pretty snappin tub thumping. I heard a old geezer at the fair play and he couldnt find it when I asked.
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

There&#39;s quite a few good Georgie Fame tunes - &quot;Beware of the Dog&quot;, &quot;Somebody Stole My Thunder&quot; etc but the only Alan Price one I really rate (of what I&#39;ve heard anyhow) is &quot;Shame&quot; - nice groovy hammond track.
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

There&#39;s a good Alan Price tune on his soundtrack to the Lindsay Anderson film &#39;O Lucky Man&#33;&#39;. The tune is called &#39;Sell, Sell, Sell&#39; and it&#39;s got a nifty little break intro and grooves along so well that Mr Votel chose to include on &#39;Music To Watch Girls Cry&#39;.

Benicio
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Alan Price&#39;s version of &#39;I Put a Spell On You&#39; is a good one...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Sep. 07 2003,18:48)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 07 2003,18:02)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Is this the same tracks as the Cinephile &#39;No Strings Attached&#39; 10&quot;?
                          I couldn&#39;t tell you I&#39;m afraid.... 12 tracks on my version it that is any help ?
                          Ah - nope, yours is a different set, as the cinephile has only 8 tracks...
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                          X