Titanic goes library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic goes library

Having seen a couple of references to the Titanic LP today, I wonder whether anyone could shed some light on this little curiosity.

April Orchestra vol 7, one of the CBS April Music library/non-needletime LPs has Titanic's hit 'Sultana', plus a few other tracks by them, and some French stuff.

Most of the tracks are a on a bizzarre jazz-rock vibe, and I was wondering whether this is a straight reissue of the commercially available CBS LP, or maybe some unreleased tracks....or maybe something else entirely.

Track Listing:

Cigue pt 1 (A Monier/JP Asseline)
    Sultana (Titanic)
    Crier Pour Donner (Monier/Asseline)
    Heia Valenga (Asperud/Lorck)
    Maureen (A Siggs)
    Preambule pt 1 (Monier/Asseline)
    Eveil pts 1 & 2 (" &quot
    Le Prophete Egare (" &quot
    Firewater (Robinson/Lorck/Aas)
    Outre Tombe pts 1 & 2 (Monier/Asseline)
    Parcours (" &quot
    Nos Baignoires Sont Enchantees (" &quot
    London Cab pt 2 (M Helmlinger/D Thibault/G Bertram/G Pons)
    X25 (" &quot
    Gelatine (" &quot

Any ideas?

The tracks by Monier & Assoline are featured on a lp called Rhesus O (Epic). This was the band of former musicians of Magma. The original lp is brilliant, superb progressive jazz but the tracks featured on this library are cut on the middle which is a big shame.
    I think that the last three tracks are by a french progressive band called Moving Gelatine Plate.
    The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
    Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

OK, I'll ask the obvious question.

I'm a stupid, stupid man. What's the deal with these 'April Orchestra' LPs ? Commercial releases ? Non commercial compilations like the BBC Radioplay library ?
      Matt Hero

Comment

Basically, the April Orchestra series were LPs of non-needletime music made by CBS in France and provided to the film, TV and Radio industry (April Music was CBS' music publishing company.)

April later became CBS Songs, and even later SBK Songs (the last Button Down Brass LP was released on SBK Songs in the late 1980s)

Thanks to Planman for the info - Moving Gelatine Plates is one of the best names for a band I've ever heard!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Sep. 07 2003,18:30)]Thanks to Planman for the info - Moving Gelatine Plates is one of the best names for a band I've ever heard!
          Yes but it would have been better if their music was as good as their name.
          The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
          Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Working...
          X