Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help - diggin in bristol

Help.

I'm just off to bristol this evening with the missus.  Just learnt that theres gonna be just me and all her girlies but looks like the lads aint gonna be there.      

With all that girle talk I'm gonna have to shoot the ole crow down to so digs to get away.          

So what recomendations you got?
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (eclipsechaser @ Sep. 12 2003,10:12)]So what recomendations you got?
    Given the circumstances, sod digging
    Matt Hero

Comment

I think speaking to john stapleton would be useful - but I also remember him saying there is rod all in Bristol.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

can you get to Bath? only 20 mins or so by car. quite a few good spots there - if so post back to the board and i&#39;ll post up some places.

john s is the man for bristol spots...
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

no cant make bath.  Will be going up by train. and probably stay in bristol all day.  Yeah sounds great with all those birds but after a few hours of listening to tips on hair products and which shoes match their outfits, god I&#39;m gonna be going crazy.

Comment

And don&#39;t take the girls digging with you - my other half just found the Pussycat &#39;Do It&#39; 45 in the singles pile, and guess what? She&#39;s putting the A side on heavy rotation. I&#39;ve got &#39;Mississippi&#39; scarred permanently into my brain now...and a lis of other &#39;great&#39; tracks to find (like &#39;Take Me Home Country Roads&#39; and &#39;Save Your Kisses For Me). I thought I&#39;d got the habit down to an occasional Carpenters spin, but she&#39;s off the wagon big time...

Uh, sorry, this doesn&#39;t help with Bristol digs, does it? Just needed to talk to somebody...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

hey wayne

no it doesnt help but rest assured she wont be coming with me. Last time I took her we had to spend out £60 on records for her and I got 1 old disco 7&quot;.

Comment

Not been to Bristol for a while, but there are a couple of places on Gloucester Rd - one large second hand place and another second hand place in a basement - both on the right hand side of the road if you&#39;re coming from town, about 15 mins walk from the city centre.

Mind you, I walk pretty fast.
                Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 12 2003,10:21)]can you get to Bath? only 20 mins or so by car. quite a few good spots there - if so post back to the board and i&#39;ll post up some places.
                  I&#39;d be interested in the hot spots of Bath, if you&#39;re offering. . .
                  The Pop Music Library

Comment

In the absence of John S, here&#39;s an email I sent to a mr C Millar a while ago on the topic . . . ( and big thanks for the excellent &#39;The Program&#39; mix that arrived this morning&#33; )

&gt; Right then . . .

Well the two places on Gloucester Road are &#39;Plastic Wax&#39; and &#39;10:15&#39; . . . both worth a rummage, also on Gloucester Road there&#39;s &#39;Disc-and-Tape&#39;, quite small, doesn&#39;t look that promising but is sometimes good for new palmed off promo stuff cheap ( sometimes like 10p each, sometimes £3, seems random ) - got a few acapellas there in the past.

Also on Gloucester Road is Rooted Records - really nice people, quite good for hip hop.

There are charity shops all along the length of Gloucester Road - it goes on further than you might think ( up past the Texaco garage and up by Horfield prison ) the ones further up ( like  &#39;Tenovus&#39; and &#39;Help The Animals&#39; ) are a bit cheaper and sometimes yield more, because less people bother to go all the way up - however there&#39;s a *lot* of people digging, and everyday so don&#39;t be *too* hopeful . . .

Also grabbing the spoils and selling them on is &#39;Prime Cuts&#39; , ( also on Gloucester Road&#33; ) which is downstatirs from a clothes shop called &#39;Repsycho&#39;, big yellow front, ( doing a similar thing with vintage threads ). There&#39;s always something good in there, but it is pretty much always overpriced - if you get chatting to the guy in there ( Mike ) you can usually talk him down a bit.

The one place I would recommend if you don&#39;t know it is &#39;Downstairs Replay&#39; - this is the other branch of Replay ( the &#39;first&#39; one being on Park Street along with Imperial ( which is good too, the best place for new stuff ) and a Fopp - though you don&#39;t need to travel to Bristol for one of those&#33; )
                    &#39;Downstairs Replay&#39; is in the underpass by the Bus Station, technically &#39;Haymarket Walk&#39;, though locals call it &#39;The Bearpit&#39;. It&#39;ll have some noisy punk blasting out I expect. Reasonably priced and almost always turns something up, the staff are friendly, but mostly into rock - which is good because other genres get underpriced. It&#39;s the place everyone brings secondhand stuff to, so well worth a rummage.

Other shops are Eat The Beat ( St Nicholas Street ) with fancy milk bar attached, BangBang on Colston Street for housey type stuff if that&#39;s your bag. There&#39;s also a graf covered techno shop on Stokes Croft ( as well as &#39;Chas&#39;, my favourite Charity shop [ *sadly Chas is no more* ], and Magpie which occasionally turns up something amongst all the so-far-all-unfunky religious records )

I off doing a gig so I&#39;m afraid I can&#39;t offer some manly assistance in person, but I hope that helps some&#33;
                    Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Tommo of Sprowston @ Sep. 12 2003,13:43)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 12 2003,10:21)]can you get to Bath? only 20 mins or so by car. quite a few good spots there - if so post back to the board and i&#39;ll post up some places.
                      I&#39;d be interested in the hot spots of Bath, if you&#39;re offering. . .
                      best spot - dennis the menace&#39;s dog&#33; ask Sermad to hook you up, he knows him (as does John S). i used to be a regular in there 10 years ago.
                      http://www.blaxploitation.com
                      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 12 2003,17:51)]best spot - dennis the menace&#39;s dog&#33; ask Sermad to hook you up, he knows him (as does John S). i used to be a regular in there 10 years ago.
                        Man, that place is the worst&#33; But you can always go and marvel at the spooky basement with the teddies the other side of Polteney (sp?) Bridge...
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                        X