Tom tom club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom tom club

many moons ago a owned a copy of the s/t tom tom club lp, i aquired it with some other lp's, i never played it so eventually got rid of it to a charity shop, then i saw it on ebay going for quite a lot of money, now i've picked up another copy & was wondering why it goes for so much money when it's quite easy to find? (i think it was going for upwards £20)
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

I'd have to guess most of the easy to find copies are represses of various kinds while the actual original release was perhaps only done in small numbers, but who knows? Could just be more ebay insanity. Nice LP though - I've got through 3 copies over the years, and still rate 'Genius Of Love' & 'Wordy Rappinghood' as pretty fresh sounding...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

How much is a lot of money? I'm pretty surprised at that because it was big hit in the UK and reasonably successful in the States (Genius Of Love was top 40), so it's not rare at all.

There are other things of theirs worth checking out, too. The B-side of the 12-inch of Wordy Rappinghood has a tune called Elephant which is really good. The 2nd album, Close To The Bone, has got a couple of good tracks on it, The Man With The 4-Way Hips (there's also a 12-inch with a good dub of this) and Pleasure Of Love (I've got a spare for trading if anyone's interested). Then there's a later album (third or fourth?) called Boom Boom Chi Boom Boom which as a tune called Kiss Me When I Get Back, which is one of the best things Arthur Baker ever did.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 14 2003,11:54)]The B-side of the 12-inch of Wordy Rappinghood has a tune called Elephant which is really good.
        Picked this 12" up for a quid in Brixton after Bill's tip, and it's a goodie. Apparently the 12 never came out in the US so it's quite sought-after over there - anyone know if this is correct?
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 14 2003,11:54)]I'm pretty surprised at that because it was big hit in the UK and reasonably successful in the States (Genius Of Love was top 40), so it's not rare at all.
          What he said... this makes no sense. Its good but surely not that rare. I suppose you don't see it everyday so I suspect some DJ wanted it NOW.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
          X