Russian diggin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian diggin

I'm off to Moscow and St Petersburg in a week for a couple of gigs. . . from what I can tell it's not that good for finding vinyl but if anyone has any tips or knows owt, I'd love to know!

Hope I don't get murderated by the  
    Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Andy Smith told me the other night that he went to a great record shop in Moscow the other week which had rooms of great eastern European jazz stuff but as I have no idea what is what called and no means of contacting Mr Smith lets put this down to a bit of senseless name dropping and I'll get me coat....

Actually Mr Divine or Nick could ask him for you maybe?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I DJed in Moscow in June and I was taken to a great record store there. Unfortunately, I've no idea where it is. I know it's near a student area and campus, and it has really bad pictures of pop stars like Gary Glitter and Black Sabbath and suchlike on the wall outside. Inside, however, is a treasure trove. Loads of records. I spent three hours in one room alone (there are about 5 rooms). Ask when you're there, they must know where it is. It seemed to be well known (I asked them to take me to a good 2nd hand record store).
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys - sounds more hopeful than I hoped!

Lee - I don't know Andy Smith either, but I'm best man at a wedding on Saturday for a man who does - he's adamant he doesn't want a stag night, but I'm trying to at least get him out for hf&s on Thursday . . . so might be able to grill Mr Smith on locations in person then!
        Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Gigs in Russia sound like they're gonna be interesting. Let us know how they go.

Anyhoo, remember that the Eastern Bloc was about ten years 'behind' the West when it came to things like music so early eighties music will often as not sound like early seventies music. And if you've got a portable turntable or know someone who has then you're gonna want to take it along coz there's bound to be loads of mad weird looking stuff that you'll have no idea about. Plus it's worth searching around on ebay to find out what 'heat' there is. There's usually a few sellers that have great stuff from that part of the world. And if you find any interesting doubles, 'DIBS!!!!!'

Comment

Ah, Blighty reminded me. There's also a record player in this store so you can play stuff. Most of the euro jazz stuff I played was pants, but then it was needle in a haystack time.
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

There are lot's of different pressing of the same record in russia..
              good luck with the cyrillic writing

Comment

If I had only one advise it would to learn cyrillic. It's quite useful overthere and don't take too much time.
                If you want a list of good russian or east european records, send me a mail.
                The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
                Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Working...
                X