Paris in the autumn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paris in the autumn

I'm off to Paris next week for work again so can anyone suggest either good places to dig or items to look for.

My trade list has been clogged up with French and Italian oddities I got on spec last time so guidance is appreciated. Though there were interesting things I found too - loads of really early Tangerine Dream and some strange caribean records.

I've checked through all the archives and don't see any relevant threads but feel free to point me in the right direction direction with a patronising smirk if I missed something.

Thanks

Mark
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

My favourite shop (of the ones I've found) is Chez Youri, which is pretty central.

There used to be a website called Nakedparis.com which had a comprehensive list of stores, but I've just tried loading the page and it's not having it, but you could try it again tomorrow. It might be a glitch.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

The flea market, north of Sacre Coeur every Sunday, has a healthy supply of vinyl (but leave some for me - I'll be there meself in October ).
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

i'll second bill's recommendation on Chez Youri. it's a tiny spot but really well stocked with excellent stuff at reasonable prices. a lot of the best French gear is in the cupboards underneath the main crates, so get talking to the guy and get him to show you the heat.

other good spots: crocodisc. there are 2 or 3 good 2nd hand places within a couple of blocks of here.

markets: porte de clignancourt flea market right at the end of the northernmost subway line. just follow the crowds. it's mad busy at weekends. all of the serious record shops are on one 'street' about 200 yards from the main road on the left. you'll go under a massive flyover - turn left there and keep going. you'll hear the stalls before you see them!

also check for jazz-related stuff in the indoor antiques and books markets not far from the record street.

it's worth checking to see whether there are any record fairs on when you go, as Teddy Rosso and me have had a lot of good finds for very good prices at the fairs - better than the stores and the flea markets. messe pour le temps present for 20p, can't be bad!

particularly look out for quality African-related music as many v rare afro-funk records also got issued in France for the big African population especially in Paris...

have fun! best city in the world for me...
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. On the downside they ain't all news. I go once or twice a year for work and I've encountered Clingancourt and Crocodisc and other places near the Uni. On the plus side its nice to know I've been going to the right places. Unlike previously I am staying for an extra 3 days as the wife is coming over as it coincides with our anniversary. Of course this may mean I have to go and do cultural/touristy stuff. And check out the fine restaurants - I already have a long list that we won't finish off....

In terms of records I'm interested in suggestions of interesting French psych, library, jazz, funk (the usual).

I'm familiar enough with stuff domestic "pop" like Serge, France Gall, and Francois Hardy. I know some stuff by Polnareff and Dutronc but would happily take pointers. Also if there's anything that’s relatively cheap and common but popular back in the anglo saxon world that’s worth getting for trade (or just 'cos I may like it).

I've a few things I got last time that look like French easy covers albums "Rock Dance Party"? though they made little impression on me.

I actually found that some French stuff (well Magma) is pretty pricey there but much less so over in the US.

M
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Don't forget Paris Jazz Corner at rue de Navarre.
            The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
            Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Is Chez Youri open on Saturdays, anybody?

Cheers...
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Oct. 09 2003,12:42)]Is Chez Youri open on Saturdays, anybody?

Cheers...
                generally yes, but not always.
                http://www.blaxploitation.com
                Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                X