That's what friends are for!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's what friends are for!

Got these today from a guy at work for a couple of pounds each. This guy is really seriously into his boot fairs. This week alone he bought 150 Lp's and covered it seems most of the South of England:

GrandMaster flash - Freedom 12"
    Herbie Mann - Etagui 12"- This is on Patrick Adams label, anyone know anything about this?
    La Famile - All night Long - This is a reggae version of this track,again any info anyone?
    Claude Denjean - Open Circuit - Kiss This is the Track
    John Keating - Space Experience - I Feel the Earth Move - Double
    Claude Denjean - Moog - Venus - Double
    Roberta Flack - Quiet Fire
    Aubrey Mann - Feeling Good - Canadian lp, any info ??
    Fatback band - Raising hell
    Ambergis - S/T - Funky Rock - Double
    Donald Byrd - Slow Drag - Beautiful original Blue Note.
    Hookfoot - s/t - Funky Rock 'n' breaks
    Joe Tex - Spills the Beans - Loads of funky trax inc. You're Sure Gonna get it.
    Fela - Zombie
    Isaac Hayes - To be Continued
    The Meters - Cabbage Alley
    It's a Beautiful Day - Marrying Maiden
    4 Tops - Nature Planned it
    Laurie Johnson - The Avengers
    Sweet Cream and Other delights - LP on Shady Brook, any info?
    Francis Lai - Vivre pour Vivre
    J.B's - Doing it to Death.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Sep. 17 2003,23:21)]Herbie Mann - Etagui 12"- This is on Patrick Adams label, anyone know anything about this?
    La Famile - All night Long - This is a reggae version of this track,again any info anyone?
    The Herbie Mann's wicked, but only if you pitch it down to minus 8 (I find it far too fast at its regular tempo). It came out on Atlantic on the B-side of Superman. I didn't even know it came out on Patrick's label. I'd say it was rare. (Which label: P&P?)

I've also had La Famille for a while and been playing it a lot. It's ace. Don't know anything about it, though (I think it's a Uk prod.). There's also another good reggae cover in a similar vein, a version of Neil Young's Only Love Can Break Your Heart. Can't remember the artist name offhand.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

nice one with the zombie
      http://wakeupanddie.com
      http://weirdgearnyc.com
      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

The La Famille was an often requested track around my way when it came out. Not sure if it was a UK production, but the band was an 7-8 piece.

The track also got compiled on Streetsounds 5.

Comment

Oh, I forgot about the Sweet Cream (nice cover on that one&#33. Typical late period disco for the most part, though there's one pretty good track: Do A Dance For Love. It's a one-tracker, though, and not rare either. I nabbed mine in Scope in Grimsby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 18 2003,09:28)]Oh, I forgot about the Sweet Cream (nice cover on that one&#33. Typical late period disco for the most part, though there's one pretty good track: Do A Dance For Love. It's a one-tracker, though, and not rare either. I nabbed mine in Scope in Grimsby.
            It must be a two tracker - the one I love off that LP is the classy "You Brought Joy".
            Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 18 2003,09:28)]Oh, I forgot about the Sweet Cream (nice cover on that one&#33. Typical late period disco for the most part, though there's one pretty good track: Do A Dance For Love. It's a one-tracker, though, and not rare either. I nabbed mine in Scope in Grimsby.
              Yeah, me too Bill ! Wonder why so many of those turned up in the UK on Shadybrook (Is there not a track on there called "Skunk Funk" ? Reason i bought it and what a dissapointment &#33

Why wasn't it Kellee Pattersons ST LP instead of that Turn on the lights LP, eh !? "Give it up ! ain't no use................."
              SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Ahh, Grimsby. Good charities up there eh?

I went up a couple of months ago just to see what the place was like. Never seen so many chippies in one place, sadly I'm trying to eat healthily so, though the place smelt fab, I had to resist!

Nothing in the line of actual record shops from what I could see, on or two junk shops. But there's a bunch of charities in the first part of town and then there's that big old High Street thing that leads towards the docks where there's a ton of charity shops. I don't think I've ever been in such a relatively small town with so many charities! Most of 'em were guff like, but I managed to get three copies of Captain Noah and then all the usual charity suspects (Power & the Glory, New Freedom Singers, Klaus, Hansi, Hot Hits 10 etc etc).

A strange place and a definite improvement on Doncaster!

Not one attractive girly though. Not one.

Benicio

PS Next time, I'll go to Cleethorpes!!
                Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Sep. 18 2003,10:53)]Ahh, Grimsby. Good charities up there eh?

I went up a couple of months ago just to see what the place was like. Never seen so many chippies in one place, sadly I'm trying to eat healthily so, though the place smelt fab, I had to resist!

Nothing in the line of actual record shops from what I could see, on or two junk shops. But there's a bunch of charities in the first part of town and then there's that big old High Street thing that leads towards the docks where there's a ton of charity shops. I don't think I've ever been in such a relatively small town with so many charities! Most of 'em were guff like, but I managed to get three copies of Captain Noah and then all the usual charity suspects (Power & the Glory, New Freedom Singers, Klaus, Hansi, Hot Hits 10 etc etc).

A strange place and a definite improvement on Doncaster!

Not one attractive girly though. Not one.

Benicio

PS Next time, I'll go to Cleethorpes!!
                  Ben, it's great for charities, totally awesome but you have to make regular jaunts. Last time I was up it was the worst it's ever been but I still found a few bits. I've built my soul collection in Grimsby charity shops.

There's one proper shop. It's just next to the Precinct (I think it's called Haven Mill nowadays).

It's this one:
                  http://www.djhistory.com/bb/displayStores.php?town=g

Freeman Street (the road that leads up the the Docks) is great, that's the main spot. But if you got up to Cleethorpes (it's a quick bus ride), go to St. Peter's Avenue, that's where most of the charities are, but there are also two in Seaview Street, which is just off the sea front.

The reason there aren't any nice girls is because we come up once a year and harvest them. They all live in London.

Towny: Oh, if only it was Kellee Paterson! You wish.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    one of my fave covers!

hmmm I may dig that out for 2nite

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Belson @ Sep. 18 2003,08:55)]The La Famille was an often requested track around my way when it came out. Not sure if it was a UK production, but the band was an 7-8 piece.

The track also got compiled on Streetsounds 5.
                      La Famille included Caron Wheeler of Soul II Soul fame.

Comment

Working...
                      X