No announcement yet.

Miroslav vitous and buddy rich lps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm.... it seems all you guys are lovers of big band funk just like myself! Can't get enough of the stuff personally, those huge brass chords, driving arrngements and extroverted funk rhythms - wonderful! Laurie Johnson was one of the true masters of this style.

My favourite big band funk track at the moment is Keith Mansfield's "Man With A Mission" (1974).

Can any of you guys offer any info on the Vitous LP I mentioned? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 20 2003,13:45)]talking of big band funk, anyone got any good recommendations?

here's some to begin with:

thad jones/mel lewis:
      - greetings and salutations
      - consummation

daly wilson:
      - the exciting...

louie bellson:
      - louie bellson explosion

maynard ferguson:
      - most of the late 60s CBS LPs!

woody herman / thundering herd:
      - early 70s

stan kenton:
      - 7.5 on Richter scale (with a young Peter Erskine on drums&#33
      Ed,

How could you forget Joel Kayes Neophonic Orchestra??

Spinning Wheel etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Belson @ Sep. 22 2003,09:04)]How could you forget Joel Kayes Neophonic Orchestra??

Spinning Wheel etc etc.
        mate, you played that at a Brillo that I missed! can ya bring it to the Oct one? cheers!
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

talking of buddy rich, has anyone seen the live footage of him doing various club gigs in the 70s?

i'd hate to have been his drum kit. ouch. didn't so much 'play' as 'beat the shit out of'...
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 22 2003,09:42)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Belson @ Sep. 22 2003,09:04)]How could you forget Joel Kayes Neophonic Orchestra??

Spinning Wheel etc etc.
            mate, you played that at a Brillo that I missed! can ya bring it to the Oct one? cheers!
            Soz, Ed - I thought you were at that one.

In true Vulture style both llmod & Sermad managed to bag their own copies within a few days of said Brillo.

I'll try and make sure it makes an appearance at the next .

That is, if you haven't bought one for yourself by then - it comes highly recommended squire, and I think GEMM has a few on sale. Definitely a title that not too many people have picked up on yet - get it whilst it's cheap!

Comment

I agree that "The beat goes on" by Rich is not that great...

Comment

best big band jazz-funk lp !!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Belson @ Sep. 22 2003,09:04)]
                  Hey Serms,

didn't you play a track off this on the radio show we did?
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 20 2003,13:45)]thad jones/mel lewis:
                    - greetings and salutations
                    - consummation
                    picked up Consummation at the weekend...couple of right good 'uns...did so on the strength of their 'Central Park North' LP...there's a cracking funker on that one too...

Comment

I played the joel kaye '2001' on the radio show I did with ED.

haha good memory eddie bwoi

Ive got quite a lot of big band library which could be considered funk. I'll have a rummage when I get time. Reg Tilsley has to be up there for a start.

Im sure this is a wicked big band article on this site. *edit*

here it is
                      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I&#39;m a big lover of big band Funk, but I&#39;m not at home so I can&#39;t add that much tothis thread right now.

Yes, that Joel Kaye is good, but there&#39;s much better. One of the best has to be Gil Evans plays Hendrix. Now that is some tuff shit coming out of a big band&#33; I&#39;ll add more later on when I&#39;m home.
                        http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Have any of you lot checked out Maynard Ferguson&#39;s &#39;M.F. Horn 3&#39; LP? It&#39;s the best in the series by a country mile - the s**t on this record is badder then a m**herf**ker, if you get my drift&#33;

Seriously, it contains some of THE baddest, hardest, funkiest big band grooves ever, with a strong jazzrock slant.

Out of the 7 tracks on the LP, 5 of them are absolute stone-cold killers. For me, it&#39;s right up there with the very best stuff put out by Peer or KPM, for example.

Comment

Miroslav Vitous put out a pretty funky album in &#39;76 called &quot;Magical Shepherd&quot;. A couple of great tracks with nice drum intor&#39;s. The best part of the album has got to be the ultra-cheeseball picture on the cover of Miroslav looking like a glammed out Kenny G with a double guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (van Otterloo @ Sep. 23 2003,08:18)]Have any of you lot checked out Maynard Ferguson&#39;s &#39;M.F. Horn 3&#39; LP? It&#39;s the best in the series by a country mile - the s**t on this record is badder then a m**herf**ker, if you get my drift&#33;

Seriously, it contains some of THE baddest, hardest, funkiest big band grooves ever, with a strong jazzrock slant.

Out of the 7 tracks on the LP, 5 of them are absolute stone-cold killers. For me, it&#39;s right up there with the very best stuff put out by Peer or KPM, for example.
                              Ummm&#33;?

The same Maynard Ferguson that ruins any chance of a half decent groove with his playing of that &#39;Superbone&#39; trumpet thingy? Strangely, I have all the MF series (probably got them super cheap and haven&#39;t skittled them away since) but there&#39;s nothing anywhere at all memorable on any of those albums. Half decent at best, until Maynard adds his two penneth. The man is virtually soulless in an Al Hirt kinda way - a couple of OK tracks and then he struck out.

Yeah, drop a buck on each of his MF series releases, but I personally wouldn&#39;t recommend going hunting for them.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                                Quote[/b] (Belson @ Sep. 23 2003,08:49)]
                                Originally posted by [b
                                Quote[/b] (van Otterloo @ Sep. 23 2003,08:18)]Have any of you lot checked out Maynard Ferguson&#39;s &#39;M.F. Horn 3&#39; LP? It&#39;s the best in the series by a country mile - the s**t on this record is badder then a m**herf**ker, if you get my drift&#33;

Ummm&#33;?

The same Maynard Ferguson that ruins any chance of a half decent groove with his playing of that &#39;Superbone&#39; trumpet thingy? Strangely, I have all the MF series (probably got them super cheap and haven&#39;t skittled them away since) but there&#39;s nothing anywhere at all memorable on any of those albums. Half decent at best, until Maynard adds his two penneth. The man is virtually soulless in an Al Hirt kinda way - a couple of OK tracks and then he struck out.

Yeah, drop a buck on each of his MF series releases, but I personally wouldn&#39;t recommend going hunting for them.
                                I totally 110% disagree with you Belson&#33; I personally love the M.F LPs.

&#39;M.F. Horn 3&#39; is a killer and make no mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                X